• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1954 100 Project

Stonebridge

Freshman Member
Christophe, Great find. I remember when I was a kid back in the 70's there was a neighbor up the street had a Healey with the Chevy 283. I don't ever remember it on the road though. There were a couple Healeys besides my fathers on the block. I remember seeing a BN1 with a Ford 302. It was black looked exactly like the one you pictured. That was a long time ago also. You should have fun with that one.

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Wow, looks a lot worse than my shroud did. Quite the skilled job ahead.
Fortunately, there is a very talented aluminum metal worker nearby in North Alabama. Once the superstructure is installed on the frame , I'll loosely install the panels and turn it over to him.

55modified

Would like to see harness when you get it in.

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Well, looks like Martin already has the frame finished. He sent these photos last night. I ended up adding the rack and pinion as an option as well as some extra gussets. I'd say it looks pretty solid!

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Martin Delivered the frame today! I have to say, it looks so much better now that I see it in person. I have a 67 Mustang and a 67 Corvette that need to be completed first, but once they are out of the way, I will turn my full attention to transferring the tub from the old frame to the new.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Martin Delivered the frame today! I have to say, it looks so much better now that I see it in person. I have a 67 Mustang and a 67 Corvette that need to be completed first, but once they are out of the way, I will turn my full attention to transferring the tub from the old frame to the new.

That looks terrific! I would get it in primer before putting it aside so it doesn't rust, though.

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
It is coated with oil. I will continue to oil it every other week so it doesn't rust in my states miserable humidity. I want to leave it bare so that it will be easier to weld later on.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the tip, Rick!

Here are a few pictures of the Rack and Pinion. I didn't really want to incur this extra expense, but the stock column appeared like it was going to be in the way of exhaust on the 2.3L ecoboost engine. Hopefully I can sell off the original steering components and recoup some of the cost.

55modified

The steering option is a must when doing this. I saw your frame Monday. I was impressed with Martin's work.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Very nice! I visited Martin's shop a couple of times while he was building my frame. Fun guy to visit with.

I've never used it but I have heard folks talk about weldable primer sealer. Seems like a better option than oil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJCxLwSf7U

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Martin was very nice and he had some interesting stories. I tried to absorb as much info as possible during our short visit.
I've used weldable primer before and did not care for it too much, but that could be because I was using a 110 welder at the time.
Anyway, yesterday I pulled the engine and started making a few cuts with my saw zaw. I have a plasma cutter, but the cuts are too rough. Im sure I will need to use it at some point, but I am going to try to only use the sawzaw and grinder initially.

First Cuts

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Well, I just couldn't help myself and spent another 4 hours today removing the front upper structure from the car.
Cut 3 and 4, then I cut the engine mount supports loose, and the rest I did not document as it was a cluster blur of cutting around the front outriggers and foot boxes.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
While I do not doubt that the Jule replacement chassis is a sturdy unit, I can't help but make a comparison with the Australian Kilmartin chassis.
From the photos shown in this post, to me the Kilmartin product looks a lot more like the original John Thompson chassis. And the Kilmartin chassis has been proven to be a durable replacement. I think we are fortunate in Australia to have Greg & John Kilmatin supporting our love of Austin-Healeys.