• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1954 100 Project

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
It's been quite some time since I posted, but I still have the car. My final decision is to go with a Jules frame and to install a new ford crate engine 4 cylinder ecoboost mated to a 5 speed tremec TKO500 5 speed. The car will be painted dark green with black interior. I feel this is the best plan for this particular car and will make it as enjoyable as possible. I plan on keeping the stock style wire wheels, yet upgrading the rear end, but I have yet to hear back from Dennis Welch on how much power their posi rear end can handle. This motor will put out around 280hp with the turbo, so, I hope his very expensive rear end and axle upgrades can handle the extra power. Please don't hate on me, as this car was basterdized long before I purchased it. I'm simply taking it to the next level.

turtle

I'm in the same boat and of the same opinion... my BN2 was turned into a nasty before me and I'm going to enjoy it as is. The original drivetrain is somewhere in the Netherlands and the V8 Chevy-Ford that I have is a blast. I have a narrowed Ford 9" rear with strange engineering axels. I know the original builder who converted my car in the late 1980s. He told me the customer wanted a sleeper gentleman's drag racer. The side pipes are the only thing that give it away.

P.S. I love the darker colors but mine will go back to OE White. I do love some of the mods on this one... https://kroymans.nl/stock/stock-detail/7693263/Austin Healey/3000-mk1/

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 69

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
christophe, i still have my bj7 but found a bn6 a little over a year ago. it was converted to sbc and four speed in late 60s. owner i bought it from purchased it in 1972. pretty decent car but way too outlandish for my taste. i have done most all of the modifications that i did to the bj7 to include .........$$$$$$$! i am really pleased to have a two seater car . pic below of the purchased car when i received it and how it is today...still work to do but aint there always? the car had kind of a cobra look from back in the day! i w replaced the outlandish flared fenders with aluminum ones and got lucky....i was able to sell the fenders to a guy who was building a nasty boy. also sold the wheels and huge tires, seats, four speed and wooden dash with old stewart warner gauges....

Attachments

• IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 88
OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the replies and sorry I did not check back in sooner.
I just ordered the Jules frame. Martin said he would have it built in a few weeks. This is going to be a slow process, but I will post updates once the rear down starts.
If anyone is interested, I will have the following for sale:
Original Radiator
Original Fuel tank
Louvered Hood
White Tonneau Cover
Blue Seat covers, door panels, and carpet
283 complete Chevy V8(Duntov camshaft) and 3 Speed bel air transmission
Original Front drum brake assemblies(rebuilt)
Original trunk liner kit
Original brake fluid reservoir
Original Pedal assembly
Original Spinners
Axles
Gears 4.10
Stewart Warner Fuel gauge d301h (no idea if it works)
All Gauges below function
Stewart Warner speedometer
Sun Tach tachometer
Smiths Fuel Gauge
White Convertible top Canvas
original driveshaft(possibly). I might need some parts from it
Original Shifter and knob

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Here is a picture of the crate engine, one that has been painted(I plan to paint mine Healey Green, but will need to figure out something for the valve cover), and the dimensions for the 2.0L, which I assume will be around the same as the 2.3L. This engine should be a perfect fit for the 100, but I am sure several small alterations will be necessary. However, it should fit a whole **** of a lot better than a Chevrolet or Ford V8. I'm amazed at how much power a modern 4 cylinder produces; 310HP and 320TQ and weighs 251 pounds. The 2015 Mustang equipped with the 2.3L goes 0-60 in 5.5, but it weighs in at 3,657 pounds. My little Healey should get incredible gas mileage with this engine, although that really isn't a main goal.
2.3L ecoboost.jpg

2.3L.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 4.11.18 PM.jpg

And here is my final decision on color. I need to find the darkest green possible and I plan to combine it with black leather interior. I am going to have the 72 spoke wheels that are currently on the car blasted and powder coated gloss black.

austin healey 100 3.jpg

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
First real part purchased! I wasn't planning on buying this yet, but I found it for $850.00 on eBay, which saved me $250.00 over the Moss Motors price.
Also, Martin is starting on the Jule frame this week! Exciting times!
100 Hood.jpg

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
I spent 5 hours today removing the radiator, fan, pedals, passenger quarter, rocker, and fender. I'm going to keep chipping away when I have time so I can send her off to the blaster as soon as possible. I was only going to remove the fan today so I could sell it, but I got carried away.
IMG_5756.jpg

55modified

I too considered your car, spoke to guy in Alabama when he had it on Craigslist.

Please post photos of your frame and build. Did you order rack and pinion steering option?

Attaching superstructure sounds like a daunting task to this shadetree mechanic.

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
I've had this car for almost 4 years and the previous owner plus the one before were in Georgia. Perhaps you are thinking of when I had it for sale a few times in the past, since I'm in Alabama?
And yes, it will be a daunting task! I'm sure I'll regret this decision a few times along the way, but hooefully it will turn out great!

55modified

I've had this car for almost 4 years and the previous owner plus the one before were in Georgia. Perhaps you are thinking of when I had it for sale a few times in the past, since I'm in Alabama?
And yes, it will be a daunting task! I'm sure I'll regret this decision a few times along the way, but hooefully it will turn out great!

Maybe Georgia then, it was at least four years ago because that is when I bought mine.

D

Deleted member 19315

Just read this thread. What a great project. I think the chpics you are making are spot on.
Koko. (Keep on keeping on)

Andy

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Moving forward. All the exterior panels are now off. I plan to drop them off for blasting tomorrow. The trunk metal was in better shape than I thought. The wiring was a fire waiting to happen!!! I plan to use an aftermarket harness from American Auto Wire...All i need is something relatively simple, but with relay upgrades for better headlamps, etc.
54 Healey Body Removal 5.jpg54 Healey Body Removal.jpg54 Healey Body Removal 2.jpg54 Healey Body Removal 4.jpg54 healey body removal 6.jpg54 healey body removal 7.jpg54 Healey body removal 8.jpg

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
I continued prepping the panels for blasting yesterday. There were some mighty fine repairs made by someone back in the day. I'm not sure why a hole was cut into the rear trunk surround on the driver's side...maybe it was an accident and something fell on the car.

Also, it guess someone cut these holes for back up lights.