• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100-6 start up issues

TangoXrayAlpha

Freshman Member
Country flag
CV19 has given me a rare chance to spend some time with my 100-6. However, my first journey was cut short when it just cut out.

The car has a Pertronix ignition fitted, and was running fine before the above happened. There's a healthy spark at the coil, but nothing at the plugs. I've looked at the Pertronix website, and checked the module as per these instructions (which seems to be working fine). Therefore, I assumed the next most likely culprit was a bad ground. I've checked and cleaned the ground from the coil to the chassis, which didn't fix things. I'm now not sure where to turn next.

I'm debating whether driving a non-power steering car can count as my daily exercise, so any help getting her going again would be appreciated!

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Make sure your flex-wire ground is good between the movable and fixed distributor plates. Sometimes these become intermittant. If they're insulated the wire can break internally.

Make sure there is good ground continuity between Pertronix base plate and the chassis through the various joints and clamps of the distributor and ground strap. You may need to clean things up to help the grounding. I'd read about some UK Mini racers who traced Pertronix problems to bad grounding between distributor and chassis. I added a 3rd flex wire from the Pertronix base plate, out through the side of the distributor and directly to a connector on the chassis. Belt & suspenders.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good spark at the coil means the Pertronix is working. Not getting spark to the plugs means it is the rotor, distributer cap, or the wires.

The easiest to change is the rotor, if you have a spare. Look for cracks or a loose rivet.

On the cap, make sure the carbon spring loaded center contact is free to move in & out so it can make continuous contact with the center of the rotor.

Look for cracks in the cap.

If all those check out, it may be time for new wires (if it didn't sputter or run badly before quitting, I would suspect the one from the coil to the cap first).

If you still have the stock side entry cap, there could be corrosion where the screws go into the plug wires.

Dave

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The connections in the cap between the piercing screws and cables can give out. If there's enough wire, one can trim 1/4" off the end and re-attach the cable to the screw. Some of the replacement caps had screws off-center which did a bad job of piercing the cables. Resistance (non-metallic) cables are worse in this respect.