• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Throttle/Carb issues 73 TR-6

OP
R

ringo1

Freshman Member
Country flag
I see the problem, the cap was wired wrong. I Need to shift them all one spot. currently # 5 wire is in the #1 spot. One more quick question, what is the easiest way to hook up a bump starter?

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sorry, I misstated the position of the rotar. The Haynes manual says it should be pointing to 7 oclock, the position of the lead in the cap that goes to plug #1. I have attached the section out of the Haynes manual on installation of the distributor. These steps should have it set correctly. Notice the comment in the manual saying that the #1 piston must be at TDC and on it's firing stroke with both valves closed. This is covered in section 60 on page 43 on bottom right and continues at the top left of page 46 of the Haynes manual.
Bob

Attachments

• TR6 distributor install-pg1.jpg
    TR6 distributor install-pg1.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 51
  • TR6 distributor install-pg2.jpg
    TR6 distributor install-pg2.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 56
OP
R

ringo1

Freshman Member
Country flag
I still need help here!
-When cylinder #1 is at TDC the rotor is pointed to 1 o’clock-cylinder #6. So the distributer was installed 180 degrees out?
-I wired the cap so the 1 o’clock position goes to cylinder #1 and the others accordingly.
-Advanced Distributer recommended setting timing at 14-17 degrees BTDC at idle, I set my static timing at 14 degrees and used a test light to set distributer position with test light. Rotate Dist. Counter clockwise between to lobes- no light, then clockwise until light just goes on-contact with lobe.
-Here is where I’m confused, my timing light does not light timing marks if connected to #1. It does register the timing scale if I connect it to #6! The light was showing about 20 degrees maybe a little more BTDC. And 15hg vacuum.
-I rotated Dist. Counterclockwise to position (in photo) bringing me to 17-18 BTDC with 10hg and engine not running as well.
-I tried putting plugs at distributer in normal pattern and the car wouldn’t start.
This all doesn’t seem correct or make sense to me to me?

Attachments

• 8B1FD7E6-5050-4973-ACD8-0F09880767D4.jpeg
    8B1FD7E6-5050-4973-ACD8-0F09880767D4.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 44

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
If I recall, you removed your old distributor and put in a different one.

Are you sure you oriented the shaft correctly? I've seen distributors put in 180 degrees off.

Tom M.

OP
R

ringo1

Freshman Member
Country flag
I had it rebuilt by Advanced Distributers and a shop installed it and the the new fast street cam.
I believe it is 180 degrees off and moved plug wires according, but in my limited knowledge things still don’t seem right.
I want this running correctly so I can I sell it.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had it rebuilt by Advanced Distributers and a shop installed it and the the new fast street cam.
I believe it is 180 degrees off and moved plug wires according, but in my limited knowledge things still don’t seem right.
I want this running correctly so I can I sell it.
Notice the "off-set" slot in the drive for the oil pump..... you should check to make sure the distributor was installed correctly. When fitting the distributor the "off-set" should be closest to the engine when installing the distributor drive shaft. It is possible that the distributor was not installed correctly thereby causing all these problems.
IMG_5415.jpg

Notice

OP
R

ringo1

Freshman Member
Country flag
Was hoping to avoid removing distributer. Looks like no other choice but to go down the rabbit hole!
Thank you

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Was hoping to avoid removing distributer. Looks like no other choice but to go down the rabbit hole!
Thank you
That off-set is not readily noticeable but now that you know what you're looking for you should see it. Good luck.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah, it slightly off-set

OP
R

ringo1

Freshman Member
Country flag
Distributer drive gear was 180 degrees out. And it’s a bitch to get out, until you find the magic tool (mini pry-bar).
Switched gear around, off set towards engine, line more like 2-8 rather than 1-7.
Checked my end float for drive gear. I had no gasket, but looks like I need a .0835” gasket. Where can I get gaskets for this or what type of material do I need to make a gasket?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You might also check Moss Motors to see if they have it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
For future reference, the geared shaft with the offset has the center hole threaded 1/4"-20 thread. a long 1/4-20 bolt makes it EASY to pull it out and reposition.

OP
R

ringo1

Freshman Member
Country flag
So simple, lol. One would think with it that easy the majority of us would know and the manuals would state that method.
Thank you

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What distributor do you have?? here are pic of my 1973 TR6 and my 1972 GT6. They are vac retard that only work at idle or low RPM. yours appear to be low RPM vac advanced won't work

Attachments

• DSCF2780.JPG
    DSCF2780.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF2781.JPG
    DSCF2781.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 36