• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Dynamator Alternator conversion.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Looking for a POSITIVE ground Dynamator conversion for my 55TF. No one seems to have one available, anyone know of one available? PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I tried B&G but they didn't have one and as said, no one here has any, Abingdon is sold out. One will pop up sooner or later. (y)

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just ordered one from Waford Classics in the UK. They now sell them through eBay here. Near duplicate to the original dynamo/generator. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just came today by DHL Wray. It'll be a few days before I can get to it, but will let you know. Evidently DHL didn't like how it was originally packaged, so they re-packaged it inside to meet their specifications, that's good quality service! PJ

DynoAlt 3.jpg
DynoAlt.jpg
DynoAlt 2.jpg

Wray

Country flag
Paul, that's cool. Keep me posted. The generator just can't keep up during the night parade at Christmas, idling along for three hours. I want the lights to stay full on when I'm at a stop light, too.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
To keep the system looking like the original, I need a de funk control box I can strip out and modify. I have two perfect ones, but I don't want to destroy either one of them. Someone already offered me one for shipping, have to remember who that was! LOL. PJ

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
These units are the way to go of you want to keep the original look while increasing amps. I first fitted one to a Bristol that had electric cooling fans, etc and the battery would not hold a charge. This cured the problem.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A friend just sent me a striped-out control box and as soon as it comes I'll start figuring everything out. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Started converting a control box so that all wiring looks like the original. I need to install a 40 amp fuse which is ordered but not here yet. Here are a couple of pics of the control box so far. I soldered spade lugs on the bottom to except the hidden wiring. Now I need to find the thread size for the belt adjustment bolt, doesn't appear to be a BSF thread on the new unit. PJ

Attachments

• TF Contorl box1.jpg
    TF Contorl box1.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 121
  • TF Control Box2.jpg
    TF Control Box2.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 106
  • TF Control Box3.jpg
    TF Control Box3.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 118
  • TF Control Box4.jpg
    TF Control Box4.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 107
  • TF Control Box5.jpg
    TF Control Box5.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 107
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, I have everything together, but found out the tach drive gearbox coupling has damaged threads and needs replacing, so a new coupling is on its way from Moss. Update later. (y)

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I hooked up the alternator without the tach drive and with all the lights on, including the driving lights, it takes about 1200 RPMs to keep the ammeter needle in the center, (Neutral), anything above 1200 RPMs is charging. About 2000 RPMs the unit is charging about 10 amps. Now that's on a battery that's near fully charged Optima battery, after a few minutes the needle went to almost zero. I do have to re-wire the dash light, as it is staying on while running. A positive ground system causes extra work in the wiring due to the relay needed. I would have converted to a negative system if it wasn't for a fairly new electronic SU fuel pump. If Dave was still with us, I would have had him convert it to negative. Moss order not here yet. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, it wasn't the tach drive coupling, it is the threads on the dynamator instead. The threads were cut on a slight taper, just enough to cause the coupling to jamb about 1/3rd on. I have a new die coming to chase the threads from the UK. 3/4 X 26TPI BSB die. Odd threads to be sure and I was lucky to obtain a tap and die for them. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Update, the alternator quit working! I contacted the seller (Watford Classics) and told them about it, also told them about DHL putting a letter in the package stating when they got the package it seemingly was dropped on a hard surface and the unit broke through the side of the box. They figured the internals got damaged when that happened and caused the unit to malfunction. They said they're sending me a replacement and because shipping back to them is so expensive, to just trash the damaged unit, which is what they would do. How cool is that! A good company that stands behind its product! 👍 PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've been told it's possible to repair the alternator, seems like some older French cars and some German cars use the same voltage regulator, making it possible to obtain a regulator which could be what the problem is. PJ

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Those tach drives were nothing but trouble back in the day. They seldom lasted more than a couple of years if you were lucky. Every TD had at least a couple of inoperative ones lying in the toolbox under the hood, er bonnet.