• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bonnets

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So my car is pretty beat. Its been around the block a few times, and with that, I am prepping another shell. And my bonnet is no prize, so I've been looking for another. Today I drove an hour and a half to look at one that was supposedly clean, no cancer, just needs minor body work. This is round 3 for this project. I got there and the fellow showed it, and it had about 5 pounds of putty, one bead that was made of putty for about 4" of it, and broken spot welds all over. He wanted $350. I said thanks for wasting my gas. Very disappointing
Now I am thinking of not messing with steel any longer, and just getting a Speedwell. I like steel, prefer it, but I am at a point where I give up on finding a reasonably priced steel bonnet. If anyone around northern CA has one they can spare that is reasonably priced, let me know. Otherwise, time to put off house projects and save up for glass.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Spridgetmania site has Glass BE Bonnets listed for $595. After looking at what I need to do to Bugsy II's bonnet with finish welding the bonnet and replacing the fender beading going Glass is under consideration. I took the Dremel Tool to the fender bead to carve out the old channel and prep for a new fender bead. Trick is to get about 1/4" deep and trim fender bead accordingly on the bottom of the T-Shaped Strip. Go almost all of the PS done and then both DRemel Tools have crapped out. New brushes are needed. Cannot find locally of course and Motor Brush part $3.97 discontinued and is NLA. Found some in stock and 5 days to get. Such is life for a restoration project.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And thats even near me, what are the odds. Anyone ever heard of the company Driving Ambition or FASPEC in Oregon, know if the quality is good?

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I saw the Spridgetmania one in person, not very impressive

RickB

Yoda
I have a broken FASPEC bugeye bonnet. Good quality bonnet, mine needs a lot of work.
I heard the company went out of business , unless you have information to the contrary.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
this fiberglass bonnet has the fender beads, the ones I have seen in person usually are void of fender beads. that is a big plus.
I did notice wheel openings were flaired slightly, for strength most likely.
also wheel opening appear larger than stock, for racing tires?

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
I have a new (or never used) f'glass bonnet that I will part with for $350. I am in Tacoma WA. I say, never used as that is what i was told. The problem with it is that a previous owner made a cutout at the bottom of the area in front of the radiator to install an oil cooler. In fact, I think it is of better quality then the f'glass I have installed on my Bugeye.