• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bonnets

dickc

Freshman Member
Hello all,

With cold weather approching I am back on task with my sprite project and I am looking for some advice. I have a MKIV that I picked up that I am bring back to life. I have a mazda 13b installed and am looking to a nice one piece bonnet to cover it. Any Ideas? I would like a nice flare to hold some 8in wide rims. I cannot get a good pic og the Japco bonnet. Are they any good? Who else is in the market?

Thanks,
Dick

Country flag
You most likely will need to buy a stock bonnet and lay your own glass to get the shape/size you desire. Did you ask spridgetech about doing a custom set?

Maybe Hap from Acmespeedshop will have some suggestions.

Country flag
I've never seen any like that other than ones that were hand built from generic flares.

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have stock looking one piece fiberglass square-body bonnet/fender unit laying around behind my shop. It needs a bit of work. It is set up for a front tilt and has spitfire latches on the sides. Some previous owner laid something on the top section for a long time so it has a depression in it. I think it would be an easy fix.

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That is a pretty big piece and I don't have any way to crate it. Do you think that Greyhound would ship something that big without being crated? (I guess I might strap it to a pallet)
If you think it is possible then I guess I would sell it for 150 bucks.

Taz

Jedi Trainee
you do not have to crate to ship greyhound. they will take it as is with a address tag on it .Has to be taken to a greyhound station. This is the cheapest way, will go across country for very few bucks . Size must be less than 30"x 47"x 80" and not more than 100 pounds.How much work do you think it will need to be usable

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
sounds like scary way to ship a big chunk of glassfibre.
It was on a car when I got it. I don't think it would take too much work. The hood area has a dent sorta thing in the glass where something heavy sat there for a while???maybe? Looks like a dent in sheet metal...only without the wrinkles. I might iron out if you just reversed the process in the hot sun for a while. I will have to go out back and look it over again. I might take a photo and post it here if you like.

There are several palces that make fiberglass fender, hood and deck lids and bugeye front ends for our cars. I used several different ones.

Here's an example of Japco bodywork
www.acmespeedshop.com/_images/100-0002_IMG.jpg

Here's a example of Spridgetech bodywork
www.acmespeedshop.com/_images/bustertestday.JPG

Huffaker also makes nice body work for the Spridgets.

All this stuff is race weight, meaning fairly thin, so I would recommend thickening them up for street use.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice looking glass.