• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Amplified Antenna?

Country flag
Now that forum members have helped me determine that my current antenna is not stock, I want to replace it with a retractable one so I can fit a car cover on. I like the suggestion of an auto retractable that one forum member has. However I just called a local shop to see what they had in stock and they are out of the auto retractable that would most likely fit my car. They said that many people favor an amplified antenna which does not have a mast at all. According to them reception is good, and they put them on classic cars, motorcycles, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone has ever installed one, and how well do they work? Also if there are any common places to find a auto retractable antenna that will fit in the space allotted and about how much they cost?

A

aerog

I have an amplified dipole antenna that is supposed to stick to the inside of the windshield. I mounted it under the dash cover. It works, sort of, sometimes. On the glass I'm sure it would work ok.

I usually just resort to the CD player.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Since I did not want to drill a hole in my freshly painted car I decided to install an amplified Blaupunkt antenna.
After using it for two years I'm not all that happy with it.... my guess is that it might work better on a newer "electronic" radio; I have the original 1970's Bendix radio and honestly when I hook it up to a regular car antenna as a test, it pulls in distant stations much better.
Could it be that the amplifier is not compatible with an older radio?

Attachments

• 27968.jpg
    27968.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 27969.jpg
    27969.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 197

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A nice place to put a electrical retractable antenna. Plenty of room for a smaller unit on either side. PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
A nice place to put a electrical retractable antenna. Plenty of room for a smaller unit on either side. PJ

Very Cool!!! But if you let it off the jackstands won't they go through the top panel? :jester:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
So that's where that scraping noise is coming from! :jester:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
111 said:
Now that forum members have helped me determine that my current antenna is not stock, I want to replace it with a retractable one so I can fit a car cover on.

What did you decide? Did you install a new antenna?
Keep us up to date! Were a very curious bunch, <span style="font-weight: bold">so don't go to sleep on</span><span style="font-weight: bold"> us! </span> PJ

OP

Country flag
PAUL161 said:
111 said:
Now that forum members have helped me determine that my current antenna is not stock, I want to replace it with a retractable one so I can fit a car cover on.

What did you decide? Did you install a new antenna?
Keep us up to date! Were a very curious bunch, <span style="font-weight: bold">so don't go to sleep on</span><span style="font-weight: bold"> us! </span> PJ

Thanks to your good advice and pictures I went with a Metra 44-PW22 automatic power antenna.
Reception is good, and now I can go with an inexpensive car cover rather than buying a custom fit one with an antenna opening.
Plus it looks much better than a fixed antenna when the radio is off and the mast is down.