• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

radio antenna location

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
there are a few threads regarding this subject but nothing totally definitive. after a search of bj7 model picures the antenna if present was located in the passenger front fender or in a similar close proximity in the shroud. well mine is in the shroud above the package shelf on the passenger side. the shelf had been removed so that the retractable portion of the antenna would...retract. i dont care for a radio nor the remaining antenna hole. and, the body shop tells me that they will have to repaint the entire shoud if they fill the hole.....lots of dollars! so, i will most likely replace with an antenna in the fully down position. any ideas or suggestions of other ways to attack this. View attachment 33188

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
1. Paint a suitable sized rubber or plastic grommet the correct color and stick it in the hole.

2. Mount a period looking waterproof clock in the hole and tell people your car is an ex-ralley car and that was set up for the navigator.

3. Mount a deer whistle in the hole. https://www.jpcycles.com/product/91...g&matchtype=&gclid=CM7Cip7_ur4CFVQFMgodQggAYw

4. Mount a spot light in the hole and tell people you have an ex-police Healey.

5. Find a suitable grill badge and mount it in the hole.

6. Create a rallye registration badge and mount it in the hole. Tell people it was something that they put on all the Mille Miglia rallye cars...

7. Mount a small scoop over the hole. Duct the hole down to your feet. Enjoy cooling air on your toes in the summer time.

8. Buy a Go-Pro camera and use the hole for the camera mount. Video all your travels and post the videos here. Wire it to an alarm system and video tape the theifs.

9. Bolt a rear view mirror into the hole and tell people it is a courtesy mirror for your passenger.

10. Mount a Healey emblem to something big enough to cover the hole and mount it over the hole.

Let us know which one you choose.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
the body shop tells me that they will have to repaint the entire shoud if they fill the hole..:iagree:,

i will most likely replace with an antenna in the fully down position..

This saves you $$ and simplifies the addition of a car cover [sans leaks] at a later date

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
if my gps receiver for the speedometer wasnt square i would sit it over the hole...too bad it isnt round! too bad they dont make a fake retractable antenna that does not retract...just the base. i will most likely attempt to cut off most of an antenna and just mount the base... anybody know of a fake base being available! and thanks for all the suggestions....cheers

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hood tach:

A%2074%20ga%20hood%20tach.JPG

Dual Appleton Spots:

Jerry-quesnels-1949-mercury-15.jpg

Bugeye Jack Plug:

mpVMS-ulWXj74-GhGbWsQyQ.jpg

Frenched antenna:

Frenched_antenna.JPG

NOS purge:

4259410302_large.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Another possibility - look at it like a craft project.

Epoxy a piece of aluminum behind the hole. Cut a matching hole in a piece of wide teflon tape and use it as a mask. Fill the hole with surface putty. Contour carefully. If it needs sanding and the teflon tape* mask won't work, make another out of duct tape and carefully block sand to same height as surrounding body work.

I beg to differ about the paint - a good painter should be able to match the paint and paint a small spot with a feather edge.

I might be tempted to spray over the area through a circular mask held above the bodywork - to give a feather edge - then color sand with very fine wet/dry paper.

*google Dyna Glide for the teflon tape.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Steve,

Max's car seems to have some metallic in it, that might make a blend difficult particularly in such a noticeable place. My car came with antenna hole in the traditional spot on the right front fender. I used the same "hidden" antenna as GLemon linked so I wouldn't have trouble putting a car cover over it. I think it's the easiest, cheapest and least likely to look funny of the options out there, even if Max keeps it fully retracted all the time (although I would love to see someone's face at a stoplight if you purged your nitrous from that hole).

I might also try the plug that Steve pictured from the Home Improvement store and painting it to match the body, but I still don't think it would look as good as the antenna.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks guys. it is still hard to imagine someone drilling unnecessay holes into the shroud area to mount an antenna! think that i will purchase a chrome retractable antenna and modify the antenna below the mounting point such that it does not interfere with the package shelf...if it can be modified. i ordered the chrome retractable off ebay...10 buckx shipped. cheap experimentation for a possible fix!

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was able to plug mine with a rubber plug. The top of the plug is slightly domed and textured; it doesn't look too bad, and I can always put an antenna in later if I decide I want one.