• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Pricey TR5

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
$71,604.09 for a TR5

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 12pt">At least they could have found an original shift knob</span></span></span> :wall:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">AND I really don't like powder blue for a car that has such <span style="color: #FF0000">visceral</span> appeal.</span></span>

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Hes ebaying it. By this I mean hes listing it for either what its worth to him, and sitting on it. If it sells, it sells, if it doesnt hes happy with keeping it. The idea is it would have to be a huge profit for him to ever want to sell it.

The other way he may be "ebaying" it is by inflating the book value. Think about it. Fully restored your car is worth 10k... ...but if there are ones being listed for 2 times a much, yours now appears to be worth more. Doesnt matter if they sell or not. Picture totaling your 10k car. The insurance offers to pay for a replacement. A car that old is hard to place value on, so they go buy what the market is like. If the only TR5 for sell cost that much, they'll have to offer you and equal replacement (or whatever you agreed upon if its a collector car insurance.)

PeterK

Yoda
I know someone here with a 250 whose wife, during a divorce settlement, saw the inflated prices and tried to stick it to him for the $$$$. Sheesh, d i v o r c e is a mother dog.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
lol, kinda reminds me of autographed memorialize. Is that really what these things are worth? Or are they thinking, if I sell just one thing, just one. I'll make this months rent. I have George Bush's autograph but Im never going to sell it. Why? What would I charge? Whos really gonna buy it? Even if he were to suddenly die, the price value may raise some, but after the media stops talking about him, the value will go down and whoever bought it would have made a poor investment. Probably shoulda sold it right after 9/11 during the height of his glory.

Anyway, its like comicbook and baseball cards, even beenie babies. Remember those? No one cared until their value rose. When morons started putting $300 price tags on them, even grown men started collecting them. What are they all worth now?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
angelfj said:
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">AND I really don't like powder blue for a car that has such <span style="color: #FF0000">visceral</span> appeal.</span></span>

+1...It's the wrong color for that car.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I agree on the color but it looks really nicely done in at least the few pictures that are there. Plus it certainly has all the right pieces - old body style but with fuel-injected 6-cylinder and including surrey top and overdrive.

Make it Royal Blue with the Shadow Blue interior and you definitely have my ideal TR5/TR250!

Scott

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
Make it Royal Blue with the Shadow Blue interior and you definitely have my ideal TR5/TR250!
:iagree:

D

DougF

Am I missing something? I see four pictures. There's got to be more photos for that asking price.

V

vagt6

TR-5s are expensive wherever you find them. Websites in the UK like "pistonheads" and ebay UK sell them for $40-$50K and more.

Very desirable, and of course, with the nicely sorted, fuel-injected engine, Very fast.

I'd be afraid to drive it, tho' . . .

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
vagt6 said:
I'd be afraid to drive it, tho' . . .

There's a fellow down here in the American Southwest that has one. Apparently it's one of 17 P5's in the US. He drives his. I met him at a car show in Tucson last year, but I swear he came out from New Mexico or something like that. BRG, beautifully shiny, great car.

https://www.theymightberacing.com/PhotoGa...977197059418562

Jody

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
everything is more expensive in the UK.
R

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
angelfj said:
Rob_T said:
Here's one a little more reasonable.
https://www.britishsportscars.com/autos/1968_TRIUMPH_TR250_CALIFORNIA_CAR%20206.html
If there are any drool marks on it they are from me every time I go in to the shop.

Cheers,
Rob

Yes, but this car is a TR250 and all other issues considered the TR5 always demands a higher price, mainly due to rarity.

Angelfij is correct the TR5's are getting the higher prices due to their rarity but also because they have the fuel injected engine that was never sold in the US. The factory claimed they produced 150HP where the 250 only produced 104hp(the same as the 4 cyl 4A's). It's the perceived 'exoticness' of the PI engine and higher HP that makes them so much more desirable and a more valuable as a collector car.

From what I've seen in some the Brit Classic Sportscar mags ads this is price really isn't that far out of the ballpark for what PI TR5's in top condition are getting these days.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jody I saw that car at the Wheels of Britain show early this year. Did you have a car at the show? I had my 74 TR6 at the show. Always look forward to it every spring.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Keith,

I didn't have anything there this year. Should have Mum & her Spitfire at the British and Eauropean (in November) and *fingers crossed* have my Jensen Healey done for Wheels of Britain in the spring.

Jody