• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lotus Badges

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
I would like to proudly display a lotus badge on my 1973 Jensen Healey, after all it is powered by a Lotus 907 engine. Is there a source for the small (approx. 2" in dismeter) Lotus Badges, I've looked around but so far, I've found nothing. if you like I can be contacted at jim(at)jimsgems.com Thank you.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
JAE should have them too.

The Vauxhall badges for the suspension of the car are probably hard to find, if you really want to call attention to where its bits came from.

By the way, have you been driving it? How is it treating you? How many miles so far?

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Hi Super 7;

My Jensen Healey Mk.I(Vin# 13046)is one fun car, fast and very driveable. I recently hit a piece of steel angle iron on the freeway at about 70 MPH and it did a lot of damage to the suspension and even broke a motor mount and the transmission rear crossmember and ruptured the seals on my Koni shocks. In a word it was a total mess.

I've got all the repairs made, new front suspension, and all new bushings, ball joints, literly everything. I'm sending the Koni's off to be remanifactured as you can't get them from Koni anymore. I'm at about 65K in mileage.

Yes, I truly love my JH. I even have all the vintage racing decals and meatballs, now she is all dressed up and I'll make sure she gets out to run... often. Photo's when I have her all dressed up, soon. Driving my Black Beauty is the most fun I've had with my clothes on in a very long time. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Too bad about the steel. The truth is though, that stuff can hurt you, so maybe you are lucky it was just the car.

I sent my front Konis on the Cortina back to be rebuilt. They also revalved them for autocross, and even converted them to externally adjustable damping, all for about the same price as a new set. ($200.00 each) That said, I have never had good luck with Koni shocks, and I was unhappy that they blew out with only 30000 miles on them. There are few other direct fit choices though. I have not put them back in yet, which is super easy to do on the Cort, because I need to do a coil over spring conversion at the same time, which is harder.

I still might own a JH some day, if I have the room. All that luxury of side windows and doors.

Sports Car World in Texas probably has used badges by the way. www.sportscarworld.com

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Super;

I strongly agree, it could have been much worse. The cost to repair the JH was about $2,400. that was irritating but not terminal. You can part your Lotus Super 7 in my garage anytime, I'll bet it is fun to scoot around in also.

Thanks for the link, they have metal decals which is a viable option.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My brother once did a similar thing in his regular car, and his insurance company paid out for all the repairs! Did you bounce this off your insurers? You never know. Glad you weren't hurt though, that can be nasty, not to mention scary!

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Steve;

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check into it. Good catch.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Pry some off an old turbo awd Isuzu Impulse...or did they say "Suspension by Lotus"?

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
It was "Handling by Lotus" on some Izuzu's.

The JH has Lotus power but Vauxhall suspension.

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Hey Super 7,

I was thinking if the Vauxhall had won 3 SCCA National Championships, maybe I'd put the Vauxhall... nah!

Lets face it, seems they intergrated the right parts, bits and pieces to make a winner? When you think that they only were able to produce 10,500 (+ or -) in the three years of the JH's manufacturer, it did pretty well and that according to the Jensen Healey Preservation Society about 1,500 are registered and on the road today, and they are pretty retro and very cool.

Not too many folks even know what the car is, let alone it's racing history, I actually had a guy ask me at an event, where could he but a kit car like mine. Go figure.

You just have to love the general public.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I like Jensen Healy's. I'm a member of the JHPS as well. Its a nice newsletter.

Using pedestrian sedan parts in a sports car is a time honored tradition. There isn't anything wrong with it.

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
I received the emblems and they were very nice.

https://www.rdent.com was the source, nice guys, very helpful too.

I still would like the badge that says "Powered by Lotus", but they were not to be had anywhere I looked.

Thanks all for the kind assistance and leads.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Has there ever been a car badged "powered by Lotus"? I didn't think there was.

Early Lotus models had motors by Ford, Renault, Climax, etc. Elan M100s have Isuzu engines and Elises have Rover or Toyota powerplants. Lotus powered Lotus models, Esprit, Elite, Eclat, etc wear simple Lotus Badges (elegantly and appropriately).

As Super 7 points out some Isuzus sported "Handling by Lotus" plaques but were powered by Isuzu.

Lotus powered non-Lotus cars include the Jensen Healey (not even the valve covers have Lotus markings let alone the body), the Talbot-Sunbeam-Lotus that had ACBC badges, and the Corvette ZR-1, which GM wasn't about to advertise as Not-Powered-by-Chevrolet. The Lotus Carlton Omega was powered by an Opel motor that had been Lotus-ized and wore diminuative ACBC badges on the sides as well as LOTUS lettering on the rear.

PC.

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
PC; Am I to understand that the JH isn't Powered by Lotus? Isn't that clump of aluminum under the hood a Lotus 907 engine? Just checking.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
PC; Am I to understand that the JH isn't Powered by Lotus? Isn't that clump of aluminum under the hood a Lotus 907 engine? Just checking.

[/ QUOTE ]
The wording may have been a bit convoluted but I believe it was grammatically correct in indicating that the Jensen Healey:

IS a car that was NOT made by Lotus,

IS powered by a Lotus engine (yes, the 907 specifically),

has no Lotus markings on the body,

and that said Lotus engine does not have Lotus markings on the valve covers (in fact it has Jensen Healey cast into the covers).

PC.

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Paul;

You are totally accurate on all accounts. In writing and in conversation I am correct in stating that the JH is powered by Lotus, I think that's all I'm getting at. I remember seeing a "Powered by Lotus" badge or sticker at one time, doesn't matter, I just found it interesting. heck we could have a Morgan and be powered by a tractor motor. LOL Just kidding.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Found this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
(attachment above)

Attachments

• 90248-lotusinside.jpg
    90248-lotusinside.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 102

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Found this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
(attachment above)

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have stuck that to the glass. I sure as heck would not have stuck it to the paint.

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Ouch, on the sticking it on the paint. But it is pretty funny though.