• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

California Black Plate Cars

Texas_Cicada

On eBay and in Hemmings, I see references to "California Black Plate" cars. What is a "Black Plate" car? Does this have any significance outside of California? How much, if any, value does this add?

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Texas_Cicada:
On eBay and in Hemmings, I see references to "California Black Plate" cars. What is a "Black Plate" car? Does this have any significance outside of California? How much, if any, value does this add?<hr></blockquote>

Not 100% sure of the any real significance of a black plate. But if I had to guess, it’s a conformation of sorts, that the car “is” a real California car. In addition to references to black plates you’ll often see ads claiming that their pride & joy for sale is a California car or is “CORROSION” free California car.

I can’t recall the exact year that the Black plates where last issued for new cars in this state, but I think it was at some point in the late 1960’s (anybody know for sure?). So if someone is claiming that his or her car is a Black plate that means in (my view) that it has carried California registration for a very long time. In other words it has (or should have) resided here and is (or should be) a rust free car.

Personally I wouldn’t take this for granted and would require documented proof of the claim.
cheers.gif

Ralphanator

California Black plate means that it still has the origanal Black Licence Plate that came with the car! I don't know if the value increses but it's nice to have the origanial! I'm the second owner of a 1974 TR6 and i have the Blue plate that came with the Car!

I forget the order and years but californis licences went from.

Black 1950's

Yellow 1960's

Blue 1970's

White 1980's till present!

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ralphanator:
California Black plate means that it still has the origanal Black Licence Plate that came with the car! I don't know if the value increses but it's nice to have the origanial! I'm the second owner of a 1974 TR6 and i have the Blue plate that came with the Car!

<<SNIP>>
<hr></blockquote>

I got curious so I did a couple of searches and according to the information I found the Black (w/yellow characters) were issued to cars registered in California as late as 1970. In 1968 California started issuing Blue (w/yellow characters) plates but certain DMV offices continued to issue black plates until they ran out.

FYI commercial vehicles continued to use Black plated until 1972.

Also an important thing to remember when someone “claims” to have a black plate car – doesn’t mean it was “originally” issued with that car when it was new. It might have been purchased & even registered in another state or marketplace and then re-registered in California years well after the fact.

The following BMW 2002 web page has a good write up on Black plates.

Black license plates

cheers.gif

OP
T

Texas_Cicada

I really appreciate all of the feedback. One thought that I had was that by being a black plate car it might be exempt from California's current emissions regs...a selling point in CA but not of much value elsewhere.

By the way...I am in the market for a Mk. I Bugeye. I would like a car that is driveable but not fully restored. I want to drive now and restore later. Let me know if you are selling.

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Texas_Cicada:
I really appreciate all of the feedback. One thought that I had was that by being a black plate car it might be exempt from California's current emissions regs...a selling point in CA but not of much value elsewhere.

<<SNIP>>
<hr></blockquote>

That’s a reasonable assertion. Current California emissions laws only requires all cars that are 30 years old or less be smog tested every two years. So with the last black plates being issued more than 34 years ago, any car that has one would be exempt from testing.

However I still tend to believe it is the seller’s way of saying that it has never been subjected to winter snow & ice. Or more importantly the salt that some cold climate states use to clear the roads. In other words – no rust. That would (IMHO) be more of a selling point than emissions testing status.

As for looking for a Bugeye check with your local AH or MG (Midget) clubs. They should be one of the best sources for local offerings. Never know you might find a good deal. After I picked up my 78 MGB for $2K I started attending meetings and was offered a fairly nice 75B for $500.

BTW - Welcome to the forum. And let us know how your hunt turns out?

cheers.gif

OP
T

Texas_Cicada

I am really glad I found this forum. Thanks for the replies. Here in the Panhandle of West Texas the "classic car" scene tends to be 60's and 70's American muscle cars. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) I keep my eyes on the classifieds throughout Texas and on eBay. I'll find my car sooner or later.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I've got more than one black plate car, and the '63 Midget that is here in Michigan, is stamped with 63 into the plate, where the stickers go. I'd have to run out to Ca. to check on the rest, which, considering the weather here, sounds like a good idea!
Jeff

William

Darth Vader
For the most part, advertising a car as a "black plate" car is the seller's way of trying to convince a prospective purchaser that the car has lived its entire life in California. Apparently the license plates did not have to be changed when the plate styles did (like here in Illinois, when we went to the ones with Lincoln's picture on it from the classic plain blue and white ones). Bear in mind that just because a car is an original California Black Plate Car doesn't mean its a gem, just that its old. There was a black plated Volvo 1800S at our local olde car repair shoppe last spring that I wouldn't touch with a....well with a very large thing.
-Wm.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I know a guy who deals in 60's American cars. He seems to think the black plate is worth money. Seems mostly like BS to me.

I know I rusted the floor out of a couple black plate cars as a young man, with wet salty wet suits. There are lots of rusty california cars, anyway. You might not want one that sat out in say, Crescent City in the salt air.

I think Eastern Washington and Oregon are nice places to look for old junk. The Tri Cities area in Washington is a fun place to scout around. Spokane too. Most of Eastern Oregon the towns are pretty small, but the vehicles don't deteriorate that badly.

On the northern Oregon Coast, vehicles rot pretty quickly within a mile of the beach, but not too badly a couple miles inland.

I spent a year in the Texas Panhandle. I don't think things rot too badly there either. Sandblasted? yes
Hail damage? yes
Sun baked? yes
Rust? Not so much that I saw.

Good luck in your search.

[ 02-11-2004: Message edited by: Super 7 ]</p>

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
The main thing about a black plate is the period look. If your goal is to do a show car restoration or a classic street rod it's a very nice touch. Whether it adds any monetary value or not would really depend on the particular car.

If you're one of those guys who likes to do the whole period thing, put on a pair Levis, roll a pack of smokes into your sleeve, and comb back your ducktail, it wouldn't do to show up at the drive-in in your Deuce Coupe with orange flames, Lake pipes and a Save the Whales license plate.

PC.
driving.gif

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: PC ]</p>

Bugeye58

Yoda
Save The Whales! Collect the Set.
A bumper sticker I saw in California.
I'm surprised the owner wasn't dragged from his car and flogged!
Jeff

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bugeye58:
I've got more than one black plate car, and the '63 Midget that is here in Michigan, is stamped with 63 into the plate, where the stickers go.
Jeff
<hr></blockquote>

The plate that came off my car is stamped 63 also. BEA 744. Tried to trace it back but the CA motor vehicle dept. said that they threw away all of the older records which I doubt.
D

Crash

Freshman Member
In Kalifornia the licence plate belongs to the car and not the driver. A black plate would mean it was an original Kalifornia car (not always true they can be retro fitted to the car). What you really need to know is if the car was an inland car or coastal one.
Crash