• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is this a new Scam.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am a small business person and I get a lot of checks in the mail,But...

I think this is a new 1. I received a cashiers check for 4200.00 from someone I don;t know and I can't read the envelope. It started in NY and was overnighted to me,but ,because the address was bad took an extra day to get here. The cashiers check is on a Wells Fargo Portland Or bank.

Is this a new scam of some kind. if I was selling something on eBay I would be surprised to see it.
Anyone have a clue??

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Check with your local FBI web site. Their very appreciative for the information and will give good advise. If it is a scam, mail fraud is federal. Or, maybe you have a rich aunt you didn't know about.
happy0148.gif

try calling the bank the check is drawn on. I wish i had people i didn't know sending me thousands of dollars :jester:

mark

T

Tinster

Way back in the day, I got a Christmas card with a $3,000
cashier's check included. To this day I have no idea who
sent it to me. Or why. That was a whole bunch of $$$ in
the early 70's.

d

A

aerog

I can't see where the scam could be just yet - unless you cash it, then you get a call explaining that they overpaid and want the balance returned. <span style="font-style: italic">That</span> scam is really common, eventually you find out the check is phony and you're in the hole for the $4200 (just because it's a "cashiers check" doesn't mean its worth anything).

https://www.cashierscheckscam.com/

T

Tinster

Don't know about today's scams but I cashed that "back
in day check" and used the $$ help purchase a certain,
sleek, red, mid engine, rocket car.

vroom, vroom :driving:

d

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tinster said:
Don't know about today's scams but I cashed that "back
in day check" and used the $$ help purchase a certain,
sleek, red, mid engine, rocket car.

vroom, vroom :driving:

d

Any horses on that car?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Flower power, Don. :wink:

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Always considered that rear engine.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Diff'rent flowers. :laugh:

T

Tinster

DNK said:
Always considered that rear engine.

As known by most, I flunked Auto Mechanic 101.

I called my Corvair a rear engine car and several times
the tail end of that car broke free and spun me a few
360*s fer taking some turns a might too aggressively.

I honestly don't recall the 'Ropa tail end ever spinning
out on me; no matter how hard I banged into turns. I'm
pretty certain the 'Ropa engine mass was further toward
the car center than the Corvair.

But heck, I don't know. Both cars were fun to drive and
I wish I had either one in my garage today.

d

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ummm... the plastic car was considered mid-engine. Very neutral steering cars. On the third hand that collection of bolts and sheetmetal travelling in mass formation was butt-heavy and notoriously twitchy. If you had Porsche experience it made a big difference...

I think the Corvair got a bad rap due to driver error. Nader just needed a dead dragon to point to in his quest for fame and power. What a shame.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Back to the scam - the check is usually accompanied by a request for a partial refund. There is a very common and older scam with hotels where the person booking pays $1000's over the quoted price and asks for the difference to be sent to a bogus agent, car rental agency or whatever.

But a check with nothing else is strange unless the address got mixed. I followed through on one of these and got just the check and nothing else.It was followed later by emails to see if I received the check - so indeed the envelope only had a check and nothing else. No return address. That was to be handled in the email.

I sent the check to the bank with all emails. Hopefully they will follow up. Would love to see some these scammers get a knock on their door.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you receive ANYTHING in the mail you are suspicious of contact your local post office and ask for the phone number to the Postal Inspectors. These are some bad dudes.
grin.gif

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bruce Bowker said:
Back to the scam - the check is usually accompanied by a request for a partial refund. There is a very common and older scam with hotels where the person booking pays $1000's over the quoted price and asks for the difference to be sent to a bogus agent, car rental agency or whatever.

But a check with nothing else is strange unless the address got mixed. I followed through on one of these and got just the check and nothing else.It was followed later by emails to see if I received the check - so indeed the envelope only had a check and nothing else. No return address. That was to be handled in the email.

I sent the check to the bank with all emails. Hopefully they will follow up. Would love to see some these scammers get a knock on their door.

Policing agencies I have talked to say these scammers are too small a fish to fry.
Can you believe it? Angers me, but what are you gonna do? Also, they claim that,
usually, the scammers are out of the country; therefore, out of reach.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Took it to the local branch the cashiers Check was made on. The president says it looks real.He brought it to someone else who noticed the perforated end. Our checks don't have perforations. I gave it to him with my info and told him if it's real I WANT IT BACK.

One thing to all that responded. It was sent Fed-Ex. Does that keep it away from a federal charge?

The 8 and the 6 both could use the money.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm not absolutely sure but I believe this does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Postal Inspection Service. Maybe why it was sent Fed-Ex.

swift6

Yoda
Since it crossed state lines though it could fall under DoJ jurisdiction. Read FBI. Worth a phone call at least if your worried about it.