• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mice in a B

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
Hoo...was I in for a surprise today when I brought the Bomb back after a spin. I opened the boot lid to check the wiring to one of the backup lights; lo and behold, I saw a pile of white cotton stuffing and bits of dog food.

That's a clear cut sign that mice have taken up residence; after pulling the spare and tools out, I found more stuffing, dog food and some rather fresh looking "mouse stuff" for want of a better term. I went ahead and vacuumed the boot out, then nuked the whole area with some disinfectant spray. Here comes the part where Josh is scratching his head.

Where could those buggers have come in through? I know that they can sneak through virtually any gap, which makes finding their entry point a bit difficult to track. I've seen three possible entry points, ordered from least to most likely. The boot lid, which is rarely opened, the fuel pump aperture, which doesn't even have enough of a gap to fit a finger through, or three, the space between the rear wings and the wheel tub.

One thing I found when I was rust sealing and recarpeting, was a decent size access hole on the panel where the top bows mount to the body, which forms an area leading past the wheel tub to the boot. Those panels were left off while the carpeting was being done, but have been back up and tight for some time now.

A slight rub with that theory though; the mice would have to be able to get in and out in order to bring in the nest materials and their food. Getting in that way would have been easy (if they could've survived the Rust Bullet fumes), but getting out would be a chore with the panels in place and intact. Magician mice maybe?

Any ideas on how they may have been able to get in? The boot itself is structurally solid otherwise; no rust holes or gashes.

Someone tell me that they've had something like this happen to them, so I don't feel too much like the proverbial horse's rear end.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey
In Canada we store cars for the winter, (snow and all You know), so we find out that mice can get through some of the smallest imaginable holes.
After years of frustration dealing with them, I found out that bounce sheets, both smell great, and keep mice away from cars. Can't explain why, but I do know it works. Boy am I glad, as my 64 El Camino and my sports car don't like visitors.
Unless you have a need to seal up this car, just put out a few sheets (1 or 2) and drive with a clean smell and no unwanted friends.
Dave

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mouse trap with peanut butter on it solves the immidate problem.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
jlaird said:
Mouse trap with peanut butter on it solves the immidate problem.

Works every time. Use chunky and jamb a nut under the little tab of roller under metal. They slowly lick away the peanut butter and when they are nice and content with it, they try and get that little piece of nut out and WHAMMO -snap!

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Moth balls are keeping them out of my very tight 07 Highlander that sits outside while Queen Bee sits in her space in the garage. Had a nest getting started behind my glove compartment, stuck a mothball in my glove and one in the only possible place they could be coming from, seems to have worked. I'll try the dryer sheets though, they gotta smell better than mothballs. With winter coming on, the B goes off to the body shop and the highlander comes in so mice go away, but it's always a problem outdoors and as stated they can fit anywhere they want to. Vinny, hiding that nut under the p-butter is just cruel!

OP
J

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
Well...got an update on the problem. Good news, bad news. The good news is that none of the rear wiring was chewed on, and I found where it was most likely entering/exiting: a drainage hole toward the rear left that didn't have a plug. That's been rectified.

For the bad...it chewed a quarter sized hole in my tonneau cover. Ouch, urgh, vow vengeance on those of the rodent variety.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've got a bag of moth balls in the garage. I hate the smell but the other option is dealing with cleaning up mice crap & chewed cars. I deal with the smell - sill far better than a pile of car shaving soaked in mouse P.

RickB

Yoda
I had rats in the C.

Believe me, I've been on a rat killing vengeance ever since.
There's a testament to my work behind the shed, nobody else knows about it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cowboy.gif
Nasty vermin can all die a horribly painful death!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Oh have I got some good rats stories.