• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Audi Munga

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
Well, after not getting that Gaz I set out to find another oddball 4x4. Anyone familiar with the Audi DKW Munga? I searched the web, and found some good info, but my German is as good as my spanish and my spanish vocabulary is about 10 words. LOL

Anyone know how reliable they are? And gremlins they have? Sherlock?

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
What?
grin.gif

Don't know that much about them except the fact that they were built in Germany... And they're usually called DKW Munga, not usually (if ever) called Audi Munga.

Well... I just might happen to know someone who runs (sort-of runs) a DKW registry/club in North America. Don't have his e-mail address off-hand, search https://www.hemmings.com under their club listing for "DKW" and it should come up fairly easily. I believe there is also a Yahoogroups list for DKW's, it might come up on a Yahoogroups search using "DKW". If those don't work let me know.

As for other ideas... Don't know if they're allowed into the States, probably not, but the Lada Niva was sold up here in Canada from 1979 all the way through to 1998 and I'm told they're excellent 4x4's. However most of the examples around tend to 1986 and up and they wouldn't fall into the age range of allowable exports into the United States. Here's a Niva picture...

LadaNiva.jpg

[ 04-23-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hey, if you want a 4x4 that's out of the ordinary, there's always a series 1 Landrover with canvas tilt, or an ex-military lightweight! Good spares availability too.

[ 04-23-2004: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Old Landies are neat, but for my money, the coolest small military vehicle is the Alfa Romeo Matta AR51. It sported a dry-sump, double overhead cam hemi four-cylinder engine with four-on-the-floor.

ar51-1.jpg

Another neat one is the Ford M151 "MUTT", which was the US military "jeep" of the 60s and 70s. These things had all independent suspension and monocoque frames. I saw the original prototype for the MUTT at a vintage show (at New Hampshire International Speedway) last Summer. Very few were sold for civilian surplus because they were considered too unstable. Most were cut up for scrap. I saw a field of them (about 50) all cut in half at McGuire AFB about 25 years ago.

M151A1.1965.jpg

OP
I

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
Sherlock - There's a history behind that I guess. Auto Union made the munga or something, and then later became Audi. How much do those Nivas sell for (in Candian dollars)?

As for the other ideas, I'm looking for cheap 4x4s. Willys are all a bit out of my price range, and I saw one of those Ford Jeeps on ebay for $4K US.
rolleyes.gif
I like it, but I'm still a poor college student. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming
smile.gif

Ok, I was looking at stuff about the Alfa... My Italian isn't very good, but from what I gather only 2,000 of those AR51-AR52s were made?

[ 04-23-2004: Message edited by: Izual Angel ]</p>

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That's true the Munga was built by DKW. I believe the jeep wanna be was also built in Canada by Bombadier (?) the snow mobile people. There is a DKW Club of North America: <dkwclub.org> When I joined the club several years ago the chairman said, "Yes, there are several members in your area." I think he meant hemisphere. There is also a DKW group on Yahoo: <https://autos.groups.yahoo.com.group/Auto_Union_DKW_Group/> I think that shoud get you there. T.T.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Trevor Triumph said: That's true the Munga was built by DKW. I believe the jeep wanna be was also built in Canada by Bombadier (?) the snow mobile people.
<hr></blockquote>

Hadn't mentioned that yet, built by Bombardier and called the Iltis (picture below - notice all the old-style Jeeps rusting away behind it)

Iltis.jpg

I've had the opportunity to talk to some ex-military guys and they curse the day that the Iltis replaced the old Jeeps, about 1971. The Iltis has a very poor reputation up here. I trust/hope the DKW version was better built from what I've heard.

[ 04-23-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Eric

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Izual Angel:
How much do those Nivas sell for (in Candian dollars)?<hr></blockquote>

I don't think they're bringing them in any more. We had a dealer here in the late 80's which disappeared around 1990/92 (?) For a while Niva's were quite common (along with Lada sedans, based on an old Fiat), but they've all but disappeared in the last 5 years. Rust seemed to be a problem, and any Lada over 3 years old was usually followed by a thick haze of burning oil. The Niva's were cheap (about the price of the least expensive Toyota Tercel at the time), but it seemed like you got what you paid for.

On the other hand, all the Suzuki Samurais that were sold at the same time have all dissolved into iron oxide, after emitting similar clouds of blue smoke after 80,000 km (about 50,000 miles).