• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OD Disengaging

G

I have a late model BJ8 with the electric OD. Engages fine but it will not disengage until you shut the car off with the switch flipped up to disengage. When you restart it is not engaged. Is there a trick to this or just a small adjustment I am missing?

thanks

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You are not missing a thing. That is just what it is suppose to do David.--Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi David,
If the OD switch is moved from the on to off position & the throttle is open a bit, maybe 25% or so, the OD should disengage immediately. If not, the throttle position switch is defective, or more likely out of adjustment.

You can get an idea about how it is supposed to work here:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/lore/attachment.php?id=13
D

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke...am I missing something? my understanding is that the OD should disengage when the toggle switch is flipped to the "normal" position while driving in 3rd or 4th gear? Why should you need to bring the car to a stop, then turn off the engine to get it to disengage?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No Nevets,it is held engaged until you press the accellerator past the ~25 % point. The previous comment addresses the conditions Lance presented only you do not need to bring the car to a stop---Keoke

Wana

Jedi Hopeful
DH - when you flip the OD switch up (off), blip the throttle a bit, just as if you were manually downshifting, this will disengage the OD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
G

Thank you all for responding - it is 75 and sunny here in the NW and I will try out your suggestions on the drive home.