• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Thrust washer issue

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Finally got my motor back from the machine shop and immediately ran into a problem. Disclaimer - this is my first build. I determined that I would require oversize +.005 thrust washers on one side of the center main bearing before I took it to the machine shop. Now that I am trying to install the crankshaft I find that if I install std thrust washers front and rear I get .007 clearance (or out of spec should be .004-.006). If I install the +.005 oversize on the rear then I of course get .002 or too little clearance. What should I do? I am using a digital brand new HF indicator and am slightly tapping the crank with a hammer and a block of wood to get it to move back and forth. Bruce

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ok I did some more work and made more sure the digital dial was as straight to the line of the crankshaft as I could get it. The flexible link on the magnectic base makes that harder than it sounds. Then I did try some more simply pulling by hand instead of using the block of wood and a hammer. So depending on how hard I pull I can get up to a .010 difference. I'm confused. How hard should I be pulling?

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I move the crank fore and aft with a screwdriver against a throw. I measure with a feeler gauge. What numbers do you get with that?.
Bob

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Feeler gauge is correct way of measuring.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I guess this is a learning experience. I determined that by tapping with a block of wood and a hammer and also "jerking" the crank must have been producing some bounce back and giving inconsistant answers. When I measured before the machine shop trip I did it using feeler gauges but it seemed I could feel the crank move (because of used parts?) so I felt confident in my measurement. I felt that more accurate measurements would be obtained by a dial indicator so I did purchase one. So i put the +.005 washers on the rear position and std on the front snugged the main cap bolts, worked the crank in rotation some and them placed the palms of my hands against the front of the block and pulled with my fingers against the "front flange" of the crank. By doing this I did get consistant readings at .004 and I am going to go with that. Boy just started and already making life or death decisions. So no tapping or jerks just steady pull in my case. Thanks for your answers Bruce

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
All the way through the build you will be questioning yourself about is this OK or should I ......

Have you flushed out the oil galleries and confirmed the cam shaft bearing oil passages are clear? Shops have been known to get the cam bearings in wrong. I did not seal up the front oil gallery plug sufficiently and ended up with an oil leak that required the engine removal.

Ask questions here if you have doubts. I am sure someone will be able to help or confirm that everything is OK the way you are going.

David

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bob - I did it with your method of using a large screwdriver to push/pull the crank and ended up getting .005 (Yeah perfect). David - I stuck a wire thru the passages to the cam bearing to make sure they went thru the openings in the cam bearing and they did. The small cam bearing second from the rear apparently does not have a oil galley????? While responding to this I would like some advice on the rear main bearing cap. My gasket set (Payen) did not come with the segmented felt side seals so should I cut it into segments as I have seen elsewhere? The shop manual and Haynes are not clear on this. Do I still need to drive (compress) this gasket in or just slather on the sealer and lay it into place? I have Hylomar. Permatex Blue and Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant. If I have to drive it in it seems the High Tack would work best as it is more fluid. So do I cut it into segments and what sealer? Sorry I have no one else that I know local to ask. I know this is real basic. Bruce

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
If you have the Haynes shop manual, it gives good instructions on the sealing process. If you don't have it, you should.
Bob

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bob I am using the shop manual and Haynes and a couple of others. I am trying to go step by step and the instructions for that are later than I am in the book. I assumed it would be in the section I am in as it covers the center cap. Sorry

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Make sure you have plenty of the felt. I ended coming up short with what was supplied with my gasket set.