Thread: 1955 Corvette V8

This is a forum for discussing cars that are not British. Discuss anything from Mazda to Corvettes or anything in between here.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

1955 Corvette V8

As I was driving down Center Rd. in Venice this morning, a gorgeous fire-engine red sports car pulled out from a side road and wound up in the left lane. It had a sleek silhouette, two small tailights high on the rear fenders and molded bumpers. It also had what was unmistakeably a 1953 Corvette grille, but in chrome script on the side were the words "fuel injection". Was rhis a special-bodied Vette? An older couple was in it, and as they pulled up beside me at the light, I rolled down the window and asked what is it. The woman said "Corvette" and what sounded to my aging ears as 2003. The light changed and off he went. I got stopped at a red light and never did catch up with him. When I got home, I checked it out. I thought the C1 Vette was only made in 1953 and came only in Polo White as it was called. I never realized the C1 was built and continuously improved until the C2 in 1956 with the sculptured sides. In 1954, some of them got the new small-block Chevy V8 with carburetor, but in 1955, Fuel Injection was an option and this car had it. I never realized what a futuristic and exotic-looking car that C1 in red was until I saw it in the flesh.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Re: 1955 Corvette V8

Correction - the 1956 and beyond Corvetteswere still solid-axle C1s. The C2 came along in the 1960s and looked entirely different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Re: 1955 Corvette V8

They have roads in Venice? What are you doing in Italy?
    Never do anything you
    wouldn't want to explain
    to the paramedics.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AngliaGT For This Useful Post:

waltesefalcon  (03-25-2020)