• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dishwasher shopping

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
One option is Wifi

That's all I'm going to say about that :rolleyes:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We just bought a new LG a few weeks ago. It also has wifi capability but we have not (and will not) download the app.
The LG we got has many of the features we were looking for.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ours has become a storage locker for the lesser used kitchen accouterments since it konked out a few years ago. Only the two of us, so we don't generate enuff dirty dishes to justify a replacement.

And I've no clue as to why a dishwasher would need to be wired (to the 'net). Pure lilly gilding, IMHO.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not as well-known, but the Miele dishwasher we have has been great. Very quiet, stainless steel innards, and does its job well.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Likewise our Bosch.
Mainly used as a drying rack but it is run from time to time to keep it from smelling.

What with the Fridge, Washing Machine and the Dishwasher being on WiFi there won't be room for your phone and laptop.

David

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ours has become a storage locker for the lesser used kitchen accouterments since it konked out a few years ago. Only the two of us, so we don't generate enuff dirty dishes to justify a replacement.

And I've no clue as to why a dishwasher would need to be wired (to the 'net). Pure lilly gilding, IMHO.
Exactly the same situation we're in. Only the wife and I, and we end up using the same set of bowls and plates every day. No sense running a dishwasher once a day for a couple plates and bowls and a bit of silverware.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Was ranting to my son and he was describing a TV show/ comedian who was doing a fridge salesman sketch.

"Well sir, this one keeps your food cold for $500,
and that one keeps your food cold for $1000."

"And yes, that one keeps your food cold for $2000."

My dilemma is that 1) I am cheap and 2) we are not going to live here a whole lot longer and 3) SWMBO has a fairly rigid brief - no handle/ top controls/ stainless exterior & tub, so not wanting to find a 10 year solution to, at most, a 5 year problem, .... OTOH I am pretty much narrowed down to 2 + 1.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I will say, a top rack for silverware is great. Frees up a bunch of space down below, greater capacity for dirty dishes. It seems the top rack only comes in the "upper end" of the models, but in my opinion worth it.

WiFi... sure! Only if it simplifies diagnostics. We have a 1 year old Bosch, and I just replaced the water pump and some valve thingy ($135). Pain in the rumpus to fix - for example the wires are not poka-yoke at all, and reassembly required trial and error due to me not taking good notes during disassembly. The one wonderful feature: it has a diagnostic cycle To run it you push a strange combinations of buttons, and then it runs until it finds a problem. Back to the WiFi, if you could do that via the phone instead of cryptic button pushing and code reading, it would simplify the task greatly. (Then again, which company wants to reduce their service business!?)

We run our dishwasher at least once / day. Two kids and a dad who likes to cook create a lot of dishes! I'm with Mickey, my preference was to buy a Miele dishwasher, but the price was a step higher. (We have a 16 year old Miele vacuum that has been faithful and well used.)

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This is ridiculous ...

Tom, we just bought that exact dishwasher and NOT for that feature. We will NEVER download that ridiculous app. The feature we bought it for is that it has a “turbo” cycle and cleans the dishes in 33 mins as opposed to the regular cycle which is about 2 hrs!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When did we get to this point (& WHY)?
People checking their phones to see what's in their fridge,
Internet on their fridge/shower stall/etc.
I think that I'd pay extra to delete that stuff.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
JP
KISS! Avoid the euro models with the food filter, if you want avoid getting down on your hands and knees to clean out the filter, you will have the "stink " if you don't ( or you will have to prewash).We recently got a new Maytag with the old fashioned food grinder. So far so good.
Paul

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
JP
KISS! Avoid the euro models with the food filter, if you want avoid getting down on your hands and knees to clean out the filter, you will have the "stink " if you don't ( or you will have to prewash).We recently got a new Maytag with the old fashioned food grinder. So far so good.
Paul

While I agree, wholeheartedly, that cleaning the food filter is a pain in the lower anatomy, a GE engineer explain to me that the internal filter allows a finer spray pattern. The filter cleans the water while washing, while the macerator cleans the water during the drain cycle. As such, the spray nozzle holes also need to be big enough to pass food particles; finer spray cleans dishes better. As he explained it to me, 20 years ago, the engineering team wanted to go to the European concept for the better cleaning ability. But consumers did not want to deal with the mesh screen cleaning.

Consumer preferences have changed, euro is chic, I suppose. At the same time, GE no longer makes appliances!

To be clear, I’m not advocating one over the other; rather just passing on some information.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When we bought our Bosch dishwasher the sales man pointed out that the Bosch air intake for the dish drying came in from the front while most other models drew air in from behind the dishwasher cabinet. He said think of all the crud that collects behind the dishwasher.

David

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
At first the title made me think of someone hunting for a wife. This wifi stuff is dumb to me. Waiting for the wifi toilet so they can know when done.:excitement::excitement::excitement:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Jeez, what's next? :greedy_dollars:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Jeez, what's next? :greedy_dollars:

"The final new feature comes in the form of a USB port on the back. This allows service techs to come out and update the firmware on the toilet. That's right, the toilet has firmware."

Update.the.firmware.on.the....toilet!!!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag