• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Construction question. Cold air return

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Our house is almost 80 years old. When it was built it was built with a separate garage. about 10 years later they built an apartment over the garage and closed in the space between house and garage. So, if you can imagine it, at the front of the house on the left - in that space - there is now an interior staircase up to the apartment. At the back of the house "under" the staircase is the rest of that closed in space. It is about 4' X 10' and is kind of a mud room - three doors, 1 to outside, 1 to garage, 1 into the house.

I am currently refinishing this space to make it more a part of the house. It will still only be a mudroom but will be finished and tiled properly with likely a bar fridge and wine cooler.

Initially I planned to put a small electric heater in there for winter but, SWMBO would prefer we run ducting into the space. Not impossible as it turns out. However, for a space that small do I need a cold air return?

I can do it reasonable easily but would rather not have to.

Thoughts?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My thoughts, if the room is open to the rest of the house probably not.
But then again you need to do the math to figure what your system is rated to

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Depends a lot on both how air-tight the space is (which as Don said, depends in turn on whether you close the doors), and how well insulated. Plus, I guess, how much differential from the house you are willing to tolerate.

IOW, with no return path, it won't get as much heat. How much it gets will depend.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Not knowing the layout, but if the area outside the door has moving air, (returning air), then a vent could be put in the lower section of the door or interior wall, the door being easier, to pull excess air from the room and the flow would be unrestricted. Not fancy, but it works. Just a suggestion and cost saving compared to installing return air ducting. PJ

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
My little bit of advice is... Talk with an HVAC guy. And...Don't open the box containing the 30' length of insulated flexible ducting until you are ready to install it! Just sayin. :thirsty:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My little bit of advice is... Talk with an HVAC guy. And...Don't open the box containing the 30' length of insulated flexible ducting until you are ready to install it! Just sayin. :thirsty:

Oh come on where is the fun in that.

Instructions - we don't need no stinkin' instructions!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I just had some experience with this, as we are working on our 70 year old house we bought last year (six months into my 2 month project and almost done!). Agree with all the prior comments, it will work better if you do a return duct or a vent through the door. I know there is science and equations that can be applied to all this, but a little common sense goes a long way. Mostly I got a kick out of the flexible duct comment. Remember those little gag cameras and gadgets they used to sell that had the little spring snake pop out?

D

Deleted member 8987

30 some odd years ago when my lovely bride burned my house down (well, top half off this 1929 vintage farmhouse), while the contractors had the walls open, my brother and I put duct feed runs in the walls, ceilings and floors.
There are no cold air returns as a dedicated item in the entire house.
What we did was, with the furnace in the basement, we cut two holes in the basement access door, screwed louver panels over the holes (both sides), and return is down the stairs from second story, 180 through front room, into kitchen, hang a right down the hall, and into basement door.

Duct away into the room....put a louver panel in the door, wall, or wherever on the interior door side and let the air return just follow the natural course back to one of your dedicated cold air returns.