• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back at it!

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello all!

So, after an extended almost 10 year hiatus that included a divorce, 3 house moves, 3 job changes, getting remarried, and all that fun, I am taking the Midget out of storage where it has hibernated since 2009, as I finally freed up the second garage bay occupied by a tenant and my old Jeep (moved out and sold, in that order!)

the plan is to get it home, and give it a thorough going-through and heavy maintenance. Targeting SuperBowl media week to get it moved down- Will be trailering it since it is about 80 miles from my house.

Looking forward to getting frustrated at esoteric Midget/LBC issues again!

cheers all-

Country flag
Let's clarify. When you were single you left the midget stored away, but now that you are remarried you are getting it back out? Seems sort of backwards ... unless your current wife likes the smell of exhaust and old motor oil.
;)

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
lol sorta- was still driven when I had it stored, for a bit, just didn't have the room for it, and was doing more offroad when Jeep-then moved around a bit and couldnt take everything with me. My wife now can't wait to get it going, and it a big push behind the project. We had a tenant that had 1/2 driveway and 1 garage bay in lease, but he moved out, so now have the garage back and I sold the Jeep to focus on the MG. last few years was 100% dormant since I lived a bit away and was still doing Jeep and boat stuff (live on ocean now ;-) )

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The day is finally (almost) here! Got the trailer rented and headed to pick it up tomorrow! I can't wait.....

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
on the way!
IMG_6548_1.jpg

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
and another!
IMG_6550_1.jpg

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
starting the cleaning :smile:

IMG_6556_1.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hurray! looking good

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Woohoo! :cheers:

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
did some inspection yesterday to get scope on my rehab plans. As expected, I need to replace some of the non-metallic fuel lines. Since I am going to do a multi-flush of the coolant system, I am going to replace all the coolant lines as well. funny thing happened, though- in poking around, I noted that my manual choke cable was stilled unattached at the carb from the last time that I worked on it circa 2008/2009- I had lost the cable clamp bolt whilest debugging my ZS issues. Happened to look down on the frame rail and voila! It had survived a number of rides, transport to storage, and a trailer ride from storage. It's kinda like picking up exactly where I left off. I searched for that thing forever when I lost it. Made me chuckle.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Your car wants to help you get back at it!

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Great Story. People don't understand having a personal relationship with a car. It takes time to develop. Most of the time the car gets the last laugh.
did some inspection yesterday to get scope on my rehab plans. As expected, I need to replace some of the non-metallic fuel lines. Since I am going to do a multi-flush of the coolant system, I am going to replace all the coolant lines as well. funny thing happened, though- in poking around, I noted that my manual choke cable was stilled unattached at the carb from the last time that I worked on it circa 2008/2009- I had lost the cable clamp bolt whilest debugging my ZS issues. Happened to look down on the frame rail and voila! It had survived a number of rides, transport to storage, and a trailer ride from storage. It's kinda like picking up exactly where I left off. I searched for that thing forever when I lost it. Made me chuckle.

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Update- finally getting some time to work on the midget- I did some visual inspection on the brakes front and rear- since all brake HW was new right before I put it into storage, not too worried there. I did find a brake hose union that was loose and most likely contributed to fluid loss when in storage, but we will see. I also got some Marvel into each cylinder and hand turned the engine- turns normal, no sticking, etc. I have drained the coolant system and removed the radiator since it has signs of leaks, which I knew prior to storage. Today, I dropped it off to a local shop to get it re-cored, have a back-nut on the radiator frame replaced (had to cut one to get it out), and painted. I also removed the carb for inspection. Seems no worse for wear over storage, so for the time being I am not going to rebuild it- I will re-assess once I get it /cant get it running again....

Tonight, I am hoping to bleed out the brakes and verify that the braking system is healthy while hockey is on...go Bruins! Also going to try and get the cowl and air cleaner housing handed and perhaps primed.

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Progress-
-Got the radiator back from the shop (Thx Pembroke Radiator). Looks good and ready to go.
-Did some initial bleeding of brakes and looks like I might have some blockage on Front Right line. Also, looks like I will need to bench bleed the MC, or I blew a seal in it- Was building pressure fine as I bled in order, RP, RD, FP, FD- when I got to FP I noticed the line was most likely blocked, may have given too much pressure since when I went to FD, it went to the floor and MC reservoir was bubbling. Got the mount nuts for the MC free, and just need to drain it and detach. As I am taking it out of the car, I am just going to send it to Apple for a rebuilt. while it is out I can clear all lines.

Ugh!

-Picking up fluids for complete changes this weekend- Engine, Trans, Diff.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Mark,

Replace all 3 Brake Hoses. they Collapse Internally and you have no visual clues. Max life on Brake Hoses is 10 Years. There is your problem.

Consider a permanent solution for MC and have resleeved in Brass. Gerard can help you out. If it's been sitting for 10 years chances are it is rusted and pitted. And the quality of new stuff is less than stellar. Gerard is seeing new MC's going bad in < 2 years. Quality Chinese Steel you know.

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good to know- Actually, all the lines are *new*, in that I replaced all rigid and flex lines before it went into storage- I agree on the re-sleeving of the MC, I do think that I am going to go that route after all. I am definitely not going with a new/cheap MC for sure.

I will know more when I get it out of the car. I need a new turkey-baster/pump to empty the MC as I wrecked my old one. From there I am going to blow the lines out and check the PDWA as well. I rebuilt that as part of the brake job, but given that it has sat, no harm in checking it out again since that should be fairly easy. The first time I did it was a bit of a PITA as it was done roughly at the 30year mark!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
while you are at it, strip and clean the "splitter" where the pipes go front and back - I was astonished how much gunk was in it.

OP
77MidgetMkIV

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good point JPSmit- I am thinking that clearing the lines with compressed air should achieve this, but I will make sure to verify. RP,RD, and FD all seem to be clear, but the FP has some blocking which is what brought this to a head. I am thinking that there might be some issues with the PDWA or the caliper on that wheel- the fluid came out rusty and then became blocked. I will pull the other splits though and clean them.