• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Eviction Notice...

PhotoGrid_1474241022936.jpg
Kind of embarrassed to post this, but here's my B. Opened the hood on it for the first time in 7 years. There's a gopher rat in there that's bigger than a chihuahua. He has until tomorrow evening to move out, or I'm moving him.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Don't be hasty - it might have more power than a 77 B engine with smog gear. :devilgrin:

OP
kennypinkerton
Lol. Mine never had the smog gear when I got it. Other than the ZS, it was all old-school. 25d4, no cat, no air pump... Pretty sure the egr was froze up too.

OP
kennypinkerton
Big sob been doing some work on the wiring harness and hoses though.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's not unusual to have to remodel after a tenant is evicted... :grin:

I imagine wires, hoses, anything chewable is likely suspect at this point.

OP
kennypinkerton
Good thing it's going down to the bare shell.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Now we know what's for dinner tonight. :devilgrin:

OP
kennypinkerton
I left it open and went back out to it right before dark, and now he's hiding inside the fender. Gonna try to snag most of the nest out of there this evening.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I had a rat start using the warm engine of my '84 Audi Quattro for his winter retreat. One day, it wouldn't start - he had chewed through some wires. Some rat poison ended his occupancy.

OP
kennypinkerton
Sounds good in theory, but when you have small pets... that's not a good idea.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Why not just add a treadmill? Get one more RP.

Here's what I found when I removed the passenger-side footboard in my 67 Porsche:

https://www.nonlintec.com/porsche/interior/ratsnest.html

Also, first time I pulled the engine I found a lot of pecan shells behind it. The car came from Las Cruces, NM, which is a big pecan growing area--so some critter found itself a few pecans and chose the engine compartment to hang out and munch them.

OP
kennypinkerton
Haha. That looked more like an archeological dig.

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i just did the head liner on my jag MK2 and a Dried partly skelitlised mouse dropped on my head. score 1 for the big cat.

steve

OP
kennypinkerton
PhotoGrid_1476668442953.jpg
Ok, I finally got all the critter nest and most of its dropping out from the mgb. It moved over to the alfa. I've removed it's new nest. The wiring damage is ridiculous in both cars. As soon as I can get the wheels painted for the mg, it's getting moved to my new shop. The alfa is coming right behind it.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Apparently your critter has good taste in cars...

Country flag
40 years ago when I was finishing up high school had a big grey Norway rat take up residence in my Sunbeam. Had to put a trap in the trunk to get rid of it. Was big enough that it didn't die right away but tried to drag the trap round it's neck back into the hole in the side panel where it was living before expiring. Found the one rear fender packed with nesting material, and all the wiring for the back of the car was missing.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Watch out that it doesn't move to the sailboat next, or do you still have it?

Earlier in the year, I was preparing to replace the main loom in my MGB. Up in the fender wings it looked like a rodent snack bar. No chewed or missing parts, but lots of acorn shells. No evidence of permanent habitation.

OP
kennypinkerton
Yes, I do still have the snipe sailboat. Except for fiberglass, there's not much in there for a critter. I keep the ropes inside.