• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trailering in the rain/snow

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So everything is arranged to go get the Bugeye this weekend. Got a flatbed trailer, truck, straps. What I don't have is the weather. It's snowing here today, and is supposed to be snowing/raining all weekend, all the way from here to San Diego. Yuck. Now I'm wondering if it is time for another plan. This is really my only good weekend free until April, so I'm trying to balance weather issues with impatience. At this point, if I can't make it down this weekend, I might look further into having it shipped in an enclosed truck. Just don't know. Stupid snow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

adam70

Jedi Hopeful
I guess you will need a good car cover. so far its only scattered showers here in San diego. the only snow you would probably have to worry about is up in the moutains, but it shouldn't be to bad on the highways they take good care of the roads, just don't drive at night.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Is it okay to drive with a car cover on? I thought I remember that it does more damage from whipping around in the wind then you prevent from the water. Best covers I could get on short notice would probably be a bit big, so I'd worry about them blowing around

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm lost...car cover on car on trailer at speed...flapping, beating body....hmmmmmm...

Does the car have a top? If so, put it up & go.....is the car a restoration project? Then what does it matter if it gets a little wet? Is the car perfect? Then pay somebody to haul it in an enclosed trailer & ask yourself why you bought it...

I love my '79 Vermillion Red MGB but on our long trip across the US, Canada, & Alaska there were several times when it was so dirty you couldn't tell what color it was....soap & water took care of that at the next RV park!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And of course it never rains in England in the summer time.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, give me a break... I'm just trying to do my best for the little car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, I think I'm just a bit jittery about the traveling, and worrying aloud here (worrying... whining...). I'm going to go, if for no other reason than I really want to see my new car!

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
weather in Southern Cal will not be terrible ,

they are talking less than an inch of rain,

so its the passes and maybe into Utah that will be a problem,

You will have no snow from San Diego to San Bernadeno
just listen to 1070 or 980 AM news channels when in SoCAl
they will have road conditions every 10 minutes or so.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the update. We're off in a few minutes to go pick up the truck from my father-in-law. It will be an adventure, that's for sure!

-Drew

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's what its all about!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I would be sure that the braking system on the trailer is functioning properly. If you have any problems, you can always phone me as I will be in the shop all day on Saturday. Also be sure to check the tyre pressures on the trailer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
Cheers, David. PS; You might take along a roll of duct tape and some trash bags. These will bcome in handy to seal out any areas of concern. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
If you have any problems, you can always phone me as I will be in the shop all day on Saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

A british car shop? (I live a few exits up from you)

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Yes, and yes you do live just up the road. You have more than likely already be to my house? Good luck with the rain.
Cheers, David. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Snow level is at 3000 feet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif Travel to Vegas not recommended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif Just heard this on LA weather.
Good luck, David. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Lovely. Truck and trailer is ready, we're coming on down, leaving about 4 pm local time today, earlier if we can skip out of work. Certainly not my choice of weather, but we'll just have to make do with what we get, and hope for the best.

We'd appreciate any prayers you can offer to your personal choice of weather gods/goddesses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Take it really easy. They ain't makein any more of them, and don't forget your emer stuff. sleeping bag, candles and such.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll go out and placate the "Wind" goddess. "Leaf Blower Ritual" oughta do it. That one you certainly DON'T need upset with ya under the apparent conditions.

Good luck, safe journey!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You will probably make it to St. George tonight? May be best to wait until day light Saturday to travel over "the hill".
Cheers, David. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
well its snowing now 7am on the I-5 freeway , storm is heading towards the I-15 , so I hope Drew sees this, I forgot if he was leaving Thursday afterwork or today.

Be safe !

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We're leaving tonight (Friday), and should make St. George tonight. Tomorrow will be the big drive, into CA and weather permitting, back out to Las Vegas. Trying to do the big passes in the daylight.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Good luck Drew, we will all be thinking of you and your journey and will wish the best for you, your travelling partner, and your precious cargo.
JC