• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rain X?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Does anyone use Rain X?

My wipers work well, but sometimes its drizzin & I dont want to use them cuz they dont have an intermitten switch.

Does the rain x help? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

DSC01523.jpg

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Great pic of your car, love the color. I have used rain X and it works quite well. You have to make sure that the windsheild is real clean and follow the instructions.

Tinkerman

PeterK

Yoda
Love it. You'll need at least two applications and try not to use the wipers afterwards.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
It's great stuff. Last year before going to Ireland for a rally I fitted new wiper blades, but they still smeared the rain on the screen. So I tried some Rain X and it made a fantastic difference. Well worth it, whether you use the wipers or don't want to!

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Does it smear when you use your wipers?

or does it leave any oily residue?
what if it gets on the paint? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

DSC07922.jpg

G

I never use my wipers. Rain-X is the only way to fly! Smear, no (now, how would I know if I never use my wipers?).

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
i use it on all cars year round, drives my passenger crazy but i don't have to run wipers at speed, beads up. don't spray all over but put on like wax with rag and not too thick. just a little, then buff. yes residue if too much, just a little.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
thanx

ill get some tonight!

RobT

Jedi Warrior
An alternative to Rain-X is the PIAA silicone wipers. First you treat the windscreen with a magic swab of stuff that causes water to bead (much like Rain-X) and then install the silicone wipers. These work great, last much longer than regular wipers and the windscreen does not need re-treating. Been using them for the last two years on the Mini, rain, snow and ice.

Rob.

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
Rain-x smears badly when you turn on the wipers in my experiences. Great stuff, but persnickity when it comes to application. Mist doesn't bead and roll off well at all.

Now the rain-x windshield washer fluid, that stuff seems to work very well. Not as good as a dedicated application of rain-x, but not that far off the mark. Doesn't smear when the wipers are turned on.

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
I've used Rain-X for years and like it. I find that when I apply it I get a film on the windshield. A quick rinse with water takes that off and you're set. A light mist does not roll off the way a steady rain will but I still prefer to have Rain-X on the car. I have not had any problems using wipers on a treated windshield.

Bryan

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I dont use Rain X on my tr6, only because I dont plan on driving it in the rain and in 3 years its worked out, Now i have used it on the 4 runner and I thought it worked great. only when I run out of rain x I forget to buy more

Opa

Jedi Trainee
I used Rain X for several years when I was trucking and loved the stuff,so I thought I,d try it on the 6.Well worked good for a few years but eventually it started to streak which was a disaster for night time driving.I never did find anything to remove the coating,so i replaced the windshield this year before goin to laughlin NV.No more rain X for me on the 6.
I think the reason I did'nt run into this trucking is because the windshield did'nt last for much more than a year,due to rock chips etc.

D

DougF

I use it on all of my vehicles. My daily driver sits out at night so in the winter months when the windows need scraped, Rain-X keeps the frost and ice from sticking so badly.

G

Interestingly, Rain-X is listed for sale in the old original TRF Blue or Green parts catalog.

The secret to using the stuff is to follow the instructions on the bottle. As usual.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Back in the day, the only place I could ever find it was "MG Mitten". Now it's in all the parts stores. YAY!

PeterK

Yoda
TR6BILL said:
Interestingly, Rain-X is listed for sale in the old original TRF Blue or Green parts catalog.

The secret to using the stuff is to follow the instructions on the bottle. As usual.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif Totally agree Bill. IF you follow the directions, you will have success. I try to not use my wipers because it removes some of the RainX and doesn't last as long.

I use a baking soda paste (and a lot of elbow grease) to polish out the windshield then thoroughly wash and dry it before using RainX or not.

To remove RainX, I think the Isopropyl alcohol will do the trick.