• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Trade GT Fender for Roadster Fender

Tim66

One of the fenders that came with the '72 MGB roadster that I recently bought turned out to be for a MGB GT. Does anyone have a roadster fender that will fit a '72 that they would be willing to trade for the GT fender? The fender has never been installed and was purchased from Moss. The part number is 457-390.

Tim

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not hard to convert if you have the old roadster fender & can weld.

OP
T

Tim66

Tony, it looks like the big difference is at the top corner where the windshield post comes through the fender. There is a cut out that isn't on the RD fender (photo attached). Are you suggesting welding the missing piece from the old fender? Is that the only difference?

Tim

357n1qb.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, that's it....cut the proper piece off the old roadster fender....cut the GT fender to match & weld the roadster piece on the GT fender......when I've done that, I've made the 'vertical' cut out in front of the fender differences all the way down to the trim line & then horizontally to the back of the fender to hide at least one welded place.

OP
T

Tim66

Thanks Tony. I'm sure hoping that someone has a trade. I would hate to cut up a perfectly good fender. Especially with my welding skills. But, at $810 for a new fender I may just do it (of course if I screw up the weld my wife can afford a new fender with the insurance money after I shoot myself.)

Tim

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, if you "lip" the edges, you could just glue the 2 pieces together. Product's name is FUSOR but there may be others out there.

OP
T

Tim66

You wouldn't know it from my results but my dad was a life long mechanic / body man. I remember when I was a kid he once soldered on the entire side of a 1960 Ford. He ground down both sides (body panels) of the new and old work and then applied solder to each side. He the overlapped the pieces and heated the joint. The solder melted and joined each piece to the other. As I remember the customer was very happy with the results. Labor must have been cheaper than parts back then. Either that or the insurance company wouldn't total the car. I can't imagine anyone doing that today unless it was a classic car.

I remember my dad saying that if he heated the joints and they were not perfectly in line the car was junk. I'll look up fusor. Thanks.

Tim

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I have not done the process but have seen it done to fenders before. Keep in mind that it is a double panel and you may have trouble straighting any warpage created by the welding process. Don't forget to weld the inner structure of the double panel. If you do it post up some pictures and your thoughts on the process. I would probably just get another fender for the roadster and buy a GT so the fender would not go to waste. Try running that idea by your wife! Bob

OP
T

Tim66

Bob, a few key words in your post helped me decide what to do: "double panel", "warpage", "weld inner structure." I will go with a new fender. Your suggestion to buy a GT reminds me of a commercial. A couple takes a faucet to an architect and asks him to build a house around it. I have muffler hanger from a 1969 Alfa Spyder. Maybe I should pursue eBay for one of those :smile: Thanks for the info.

Tim

testaj

Crazy idea but how about giving Moss a call and seeing if they will exchange it or agree to charge you some restock fee. Even with that, you may get away for 100.00 and a new rdstr fender... just a thought.

OP
T

Tim66

I tried that. They said without an original invoice they wouldn't even talk to me. I contacted the PO and he said he didn't have the invoice anymore. I contacted Roops to see if he would be interested in a swap or discount but haven't heard back yet.

Anyone know anythiong about Euro Auto Parts Online? They have a '72 RD fender for about $350.00 (incl shipping.)

Tim

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That double panel isn't a big deal...cut through the entire thing....do spot welds on the outside & on the inside....then go back & put spot welds between the spot welds....you'll not get any warpage doing that (from my experience)...& then use body filler to smooth the outside.....cutting the double panel is harder than the welding!

OP
T

Tim66

Tony, I sent you a PM.

testaj

tony barnhill said:
That double panel isn't a big deal...cut through the entire thing....do spot welds on the outside & on the inside....then go back & put spot welds between the spot welds....you'll not get any warpage doing that (from my experience)...& then use body filler to smooth the outside.....cutting the double panel is harder than the welding!

If someone doesn't have the experience you seem to have, then yes it would be a big deal.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Got the PM Tim & answered it.

You're correct: anything is a big deal the first time you try it!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tim - you have a PM.