• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Trade a 77 MGB for a 76 TR6??

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
The B is in great shape, except for the bushings all around, a bad case of dieseling, and it was an amateur restore that looks ok but is not perfect. It has a rebuilt engine 3000 miles ago. I paid $8000 for it.

I have had a midget and a spitfire in the past. I have lusted after a Tr6 for 35 yrs.

I have come across a 4 spd 76 TR6. It has new tires, four new fiberglass fenders, all electronics work, it does not rattle when driven, and
Here's a list of what else has been done over the past year.

new battery
Installed new manifold and downpipe gaskets
replaced muffler and exhaust from manifold back with good used ones.
new brake caliper pistons on front.
Safety check
new air filter
new oil filter
new fuel filter
new fuel pump
new pertronix electronic ignition
full appraisal at $7500 - needed this for insurance
have a second pair of front seats. Used the skin on one to cover drivers side seat cushion that had a rip.
had convertible top re-stiched by a pro to repair minor rip around rear window zipper.
New window rollers.
New headlights
New wheel badges
new "TR6" grill badge
new wheel stud and a few nuts (one of the studs was missing).
had carbs cleaned and adjusted local British car garage.
touched up minor blemishes in paint
have the bentley manual

in the years before - not sure exactly when......
- new convertible top (now about 5 yrs old but no tears )
- new full carpet set (still looks good)
- has a hardtop. I've never tried it. there are fittings that would need to be ordered
- repainted to BRG from topaz orange. (there are many areas like the engine bay that the orange is visible, actually the engine bay looks ugly, but no rust)
- always kept up by local British car garage

What it needs.
- needs a flasher. Blinkers all work but the flasher needs replacing $5
- used CD player in process of being installing - with speakers.
- Needs new window seals
- drivers door panel vinyl cover has come loose at the top corners

The differential mounts were rebuilt and there is no rust on the frame, the dash pad has a couple of cracks, the wooden dash is not perfect, it has a few small cracks. There is no change in idle after the car is warm when the clutch is engaged (I read this is a test for Thrust washer wear.)

SO the long and short is I can sell the MG and get this car for $6000. pictures can be seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomrbooth/5576316225/in/set-72157626398512124/lightbox/

What do you think, I am leaning towards getting it.

Minesweeper

Who would repaint a Topaz '76 green ... :cry:

If it checks out mechanically and there truly is no rust, I think $6000 is a great price. (I have no idea of MG values, so f you are talking about selling your MG and using those proceeds plus $6000 to get the TR6 then I have no opinion).

The fiberglass panels look pretty good, but I would question why the original steel was replaced. Rust most likely, and was there any other rust that was not dealt with properly? That would be my biggest worry. On the frame too

I was not familiar with the test you describe for checking the thrust washer -- sounds more like a test for checking whether the thrust washer is there at all. You can check wear by prying the pulley rearward (e.g. with a 2x4) and then either pulling it forward by hand or having someone depress the clutch pedal -- if you detect any movement fore/aft you should have an accurate measurement taken or drop the oil pan. While you are under the hood, check under the rocker cover to see whether the rockers have been getting oil. How is the oil pressure after a 30 minute drive? With a freshly rebuilt engine there should not be any discrepancies with any of the above.

Not sure what is meant by "rebuilding" the differential mounts. If the pins were intact and someone reinforced them by boxing them in, then that's great. I'd ask if any of the pins were broken or cracked and, if so, what exactly was done to repair them.

The dash can be made to look good as new for a few days work. Replacing the dash pad top requires removal of the windscreen frame, and there is an excellent tutorial on refinishing the wood dash on another forum -- do both projects at the same time. Likewise, a lot of elbow grease will get the engine bay looking decent for not much money.

The hardtop is a bonus! Has it been painted to match and does it have the rear glass? You mentioned a CD player being installed -- make sure you get the AM/FM radio that is pictured (it's worth more than the CD player).

Scott

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In this particular case I'm gonna say: "DO IT!"

:thumbsup:

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
I was going to get the TR6 for $6000. I was going to sell the MGB for around $7000 and use the left over cash for the the engine bay clean up and the usual odds and ends, like new k&N air filters and new window seals. to start with anyway...

and i forgot to mention I would be the third owner and the car has 62000 original miles

TR4

Jedi Knight
After looking at the photo, I would say the appraisal is somewhat low. Certainly seems like your getting paid to trade up to me. I say go for it......

Country flag
From the pictures shown it looks pretty good. I did see Zbar holes drilled around for rustproofing. The fiberglass fenders scare me. They were replaced for what reason? Rust more than likely. Poke around hard with a screwdriver on the frame, especially the rear where the trailing arms attach. I'd be a little hesitate on this one. Needs to go up on lift and check out underneath thoroughly.

Marv

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I had a '79 MGB LE I ended up selling a year and a half ago for $5K (after trying for a almost a year and slowly lowering the price) which roughly matches the description of yours, I don't know your car of course, it might be much nicer than mine was, but rubber bumper Bs usually have to be pretty nice to bring that kind of money. Mine had good paint/body/interior, rebuilt motor, rough engine bay, emmissions stripped (no testing in my part of the country, not an issue).

Anywhow, as presented I too would say go for the swap. life is short, experience as broad a range of ownerhship as you can, TR6s are nice looking cars and great to cruise around in.

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Keep leaning son and grab it before you're sorry you didn't. However, one word of caution - the $7500 appraisal seems quite low for something that sounds and looks that good so you might want to take a second look at the appraisal/appraiser, go over the usual trouble spots on a TR6 again and get another good look at where the trailing arms and diff attach to the frame and make sure the outriggers and mounts are solid as advertised. If you're still satisfied it's as good as it looks, consider 35 years is a long time to lust after something and then pass it up. You presently own and probably enjoyed your MGB and you've owned a Midget and a Spit. You have nothing to lose except the experience of owning a TR6 if you pass on this. You can always sell it if you don't like it and the TR6 has a lot more wow factor than the "B" even if the B is a little more civilized. My two cents worth. :0)

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
WOOHOO!!!

Sold the B. Got what I wanted/needed, have sent email to seller of the TR6 to confirm I am going to buy it. I hope to have it for next weekend, the long weekend here in Canada, and the weather forecast looks good to boot.

Forgot to mention there is a full tonneau cover as well in excellent shape, but no rear boot cover.

I found out that the appraisal was a valid one re the state of the car, but the value was undercut to minimize the taxes to be paid. Here in Ontario a car over 20 years old when sold must be accompanied by an appraisal. The buyer then pays 13% tax on the sale price or the appraisal value, whichever is higher. The appraisal can be done by any dealer, sometimes an insurance company, or a "qualified appraiser"