• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Under Dash panel?? and dash cap

R6MGS

Yoda
Do 6's have underdash panels? cuz mine don't. Also do they make a dash cap to cover cracked dash pads? I know when I had the B LE I got a dash cap from ebay to cover up the cracks in the original dash pad without replacing the whole thing and it worked great!

BTW: Progress is ever so slowly being made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

D

DougF

Under dash panel...no. Dash cap...yes. At least I've seen them, but don't remember where.

philknight

Jedi Hopeful
TRF has crash pads on sale now. The top pad is 87.50.
I switched mine out last spring and refurbished/painted the stud assemblies for the tonneau cover at the base of the windscreen at the same time. It makes for a good rainy day project.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
The pads TRF sells, are they replacements for the original pad, or a cover/cap?....The most TR6 recent parts catalog I have from any vendor is 1988..I got a MOSS order ready to go soon, so I'll get one of those.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...The most TR6 recent parts catalog I have from any vendor is 1988..I got a MOSS order ready to go soon, so I'll get one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suggest you sit down and take a stress pill before opening same. The falling dollar has not been kind -- still the big suppliers offer good value and really you couldn't get equivlalent parts for a Toyot for less.

I think the reason you don't see dash overlays is that the replacement pads are no big deal to install and you end up with an 'as original' result.

I too thought the replacement pads looked a little too much like modern vinyl (this was on a TR4). Modern vinyl looks more like leather than the old stuff. The old stuff looks more like plastic. I sprayed the replacement with SEM Gloss Black Vinyl Color before installing and got what I think is a good match to original.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Ok, so whats involved in replaced the dash pad? Hope the whole dash doesn't have to come out!

BTW: I've got tons of current MG catalogs...Most parts seem to be within reason with a few of the common repleacement items and complex parts a little outta line. But I am glad such parts are even available.

D

DougF

The windshield has to come off, and the dash panel must be loosened. It would be easier to remove the whole dash.
The sides must fit under the windshield frame and between the body and the dash frame.
Contact cement can be used as an adhesive, though you get one chance to line it up and no work time. I don't know the temperature range on it, but maybe Gorilla Glue would work.
Have you had any success in finding an overlay?

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
No luck finding an overlay...Winsheild probably has to come off for paint anyway...so new dash pad it will be. Funny how a quickie resto grows larger ever day.