• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

tie rod end question

srmorse

Jedi Hopeful
OK...I'm sure there is a simple way to do this...but I'm not sure what it is.

I'm putting the new tie rod end and inner ball joint on the driver's side of my TR7 and all is well...except for the nut that secures the outer tie rod end to the steering rod. I can't get enough pressure to tighten the nut without the assemby turning as well. It's a nyloc nut that came with the set, but as I turn the internals also turn...how do I tighten this cursed nut?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Try running a regular non-locking nut on it first. This may allow the tapered portion to seat hard enough so that the nylok nut can be installed later.
You can also try to clamp the tapered portion in somehow, to force the interference fit required.
I'm assuming you don't have an impact gun. That makes it infinitely easier!
Jeff

OP
S

srmorse

Jedi Hopeful
I've already got the compressor...an impact gun may be in my future (like this afternoon). I had already tried the regular nut part and that didn't work for me. I'll see what I can rig up for a clamp...

OP
S

srmorse

Jedi Hopeful
I love my new impact gun
grin.gif

Job is done...thanks much...

Bugeye58

Yoda
It sure does make life easier, doesn't it! I generally only use mine for disassembly, but for tie rods, ball joints, etc. I will make the exception!
Glad you're back on the road.
Jeff

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I heartily agree, life without an impact is way too harsh. I would suggest to also invest in a torque tube (or set of) to limit the ability of the beast to over torque a bolt or wheel stud. Wheel studs are obviously critical, but tie-rods are no less so!!!
MD(mad dog)

OP
S

srmorse

Jedi Hopeful
I doubt I'll use it much aside from removing bolts. I've seen way too many vehicles with problems due to overtightened bolts. I always use a torque wrench on wheel nuts!

The set I purchased also came with a air powered ratchet...don't know if I'll use it much, but seemed like a good idea
grin.gif

Eric

Jedi Warrior
I struggled for years without air tools. How could I have been so stupid? An impact wrench dissassembles stuck stuff so easily. My experience has been if the impact boogers up the fastener, you would have wrecked it by hand too. Things like crankshaft pulley nuts/bolts are a breeze!

I find the air ratchet to be a great help. Control the torque with the air pressure, and do your final tightening by hand in applications where it's critical. It can save lots of time in some applications. Like any tool, its not an all purpose fix all, but I find it to be a real timesaver. My next tool will be a butterfly impact, for tight spaces that the big gun can't reach.

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
What kind of an air compressor would be sufficient for use on car repairs? I've seen some at Home Depot pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if they will be sufficient for the job!

Eric

Jedi Warrior
It doesn't take much for "short burst" tools like impact guns. A continuous use tool like a sander or grinder will take more air. Most of the 5 gal tank machines are fine for the home mechanic. They would wear out too fast for a pro, but occasional use on weekends doesn't need much. This sort of thing works fine:

https://www.chpower.com/ search FP2206

OP
S

srmorse

Jedi Hopeful
My compressor is just one of the 6 gallon pancake compressors (in fact got it at Home Depot). Didn't require any rewiring in the garage and fits in a corner easily. For what I use it for it seems to work fine.