• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

This car Garners a Lot of Attention!

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Maybe not as much as a supercar but still it really does seem to resonate with people of all ages. Today I was told by a woman on a bike, "Nice car!" and within a minute, a municipal worker repairing a bridge said the exact same thing! Teenagers on bikes and people on foot and even passing motorists give thumbs up or wave and total strangers walk up to admire and gawk and ask questions just about every time I take her out.

My Audi R8 Spyder V10 (yes, I'm one lucky dude) gets even more attention including video- and photo-taking but I haven't given that car much attention since my new toy arrived 3 weeks ago.

I hope others will share their experiences by posting about stories of strangers showing their appreciation of our vintage British sports cars by replying to this post.

Reh

Even just trailering my GT6 around gets a ton of attention. People look at it with the strangest look on their face.

When i had a parts car GT6 in the driveway a guy stopped and talked to me about his old MGs and then wished me luck.

I've had other people stop and watch me work on it too which can be kinda awkward when you think your butt crack is showing.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
What year MG is that?

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
And this Garner gets a lot of attention in cars.

Garner.jpg

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm feeling much better...

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Twosheds said:
What year MG is that?
:lol:

Happens to me all the time too...

I think this was the best one, last summer: Driving through downtown Minneapolis on Critical Mass Friday (You know, the one where all the bicyclists maker their presence unmistakably known). Punky biker girl, holding her sign that says "You could be riding your bicycle -- just sayin'" Right behind her, her boyfriend giving me the thumbs-up, a smile and "cool car!"

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Getting back to the original purpose of my post, yesterday I had three experiences of attracting a lot of friendly attention within the space of an hour, all in one place: the barber shop.

First of all, Woodstock, VT is a small town so even a car like my wife's '06 Jaguar XKR convertible draws a lot of attention whereas in Florida it's not given a second look. As I walked up the steps to the barber shop, a middle-aged man and his grown son greeted me at the doorway, all smiles and eyes like saucers. They were visitors from North Carolina and true British car fans. The father had a TR3A back in the early 70's and his son had personally done all the bodywork on his recently restored MG, so we talked for about 45 minutes about old British sports cars. After he left, I noticed a silver-haired gentleman through the window taking pictures from all angles of my car. And when I finally got my haircut and left, as I pulled away I heard a voice yell, "Nice car!". When I did my turn and went back the direction I'd come, I saw whose voice it was: a little girl of maybe 8 who was walking her boxer puppy and who waved and repeated, "Nice car!". It seems this car appeals to young and old, and is sure a conversation starter!

I hope others will follow my lead and post their experiences with gawkers and such.

G

For what it's worth,people in the Woodstock area also like to stare into a big hole,called Queechee Gorge. Things move kinda slow in woodchuck land. Just kidding.In New Hampshire,we like to look up. Bigger mountains,ya know.

D

Deleted member 8987

I get a lot of that in the Jag...but it usually is followed real quick by "It's a right British car!" or something close. They realize as I drive past it's RHD, and they all smile.
That's what this is all about, isn't it?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
It seems that EVERYBODY loves Heralds, even if they've no idea what they are! But for every "what IS that? It's cool" I get at least one "I remember those; pretty cool"! And I get surprisingly favorable reactions from all types of car people. Example: this past spring, I attended one of my son's concerts at his college (he's a music major). After the concert, the chair of the Music Department and I chatted by our cars (his a recent 911 Porsche -- and he's a real Porsche enthusiast, not a poser; mine the Herald), and he was quite intrigued with it (the Herald, that is)!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Heralds are cool and RARE, so that makes it even better.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
John_Malinick said:
For what it's worth,people in the Woodstock area also like to stare into a big hole,called Queechee Gorge. Things move kinda slow in woodchuck land. Just kidding.In New Hampshire,we like to look up. Bigger mountains,ya know.

LOL!

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Lucky Dude and Dudette,
You have nice taste in cars. You probably already know the TR3A will win hands down with more "nice car" than either of your newer cars. If I saw the Audi....I'd drool but I like the BGC's (big german cars) as much as the LBC's.

I have had folks follow me to my destination while driving my MGA and the TR4A just to talk about the cars and ask to take pictures. Everyone has a story and they love reliving their adventures with whatever LBC they owned. It is a great hobby........

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Brosky said:
Heralds are cool and RARE, so that makes it even better.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Sorry, got a bit carried away there! :wink:

I still remember my NY-MN-NY run in 2002. On the way back, I was somewhere in WI or IL or who knows where, having stopped for the night at some chain motel. Early morning, I'm out to the car to pack up, and a Brit (visitor or ex-patriate, don't remember which) immediately walked over and commented on the car, noting he'd learned to drive on one! Heralds, of course, were very popular driving school cars in England back in the day....