• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SUPER Prius!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
World's fastest hybrid (this is sort of old news, but still neat).

https://www.autoblog.com/2004/12/22/worlds-fastest-hybrid/

More:
https://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=8695&page_number=1

5292199331132854.JPG

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hah! that C&D article is a fun read /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, Al Gore III just got clocked in Los Angeles doing 100mph in his Prius!! In addition to the speeding ticket, he also faces drug possession charges as they found marijuana & some other controlled substances in the car.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I'm guessing battery acid wasn't one of the 'controlled substances' either...

bugimike

Yoda
Hehe, he was only 30mph shy of the record!!...I guess he was going for the high numbers /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif (I wonder if some of the stuff he had was speed?) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh.... and it's already starting!

Personally, I'd be afraid to drive one of those things at that speed. Given the narrow tires + the heavy weight of the vehicle = big time bad news, if you have to make emergency maneuvers with that pig...

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
First gen Priuses were worse. they ran 175 65 14" extra load tires (and chewed them up in short order). The current ones run 185 65 15. thay last considerably longer. The car IS heavier than any other car of that size, but the weight is all down very low, and the manditory Trac/skid control system all works to make the car surprisingly stable. I've never had one over 85 (and I woulden't want to take a 1st gen any higher than abot 75 or 80) But they (current model)feel very good even up there.
To disable the trac system, like I can with the Toyota diagnostic tool, will allow you to just blister the tires off of those things! hehehehe. all the torque of an electric motor is there at 0 RPM.
Highlander hybrids are even more fun.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Even with the majority of the weight down low, it takes a fair amount of friction to make something that weighs that much change direction. I reckon the fuel efficiency would drop a bit if you stepped it up to 205/50 series tires.

Ah well, it's not to my liking as a car, but disable the traction control and let me have free reign in a closed environment I'm ~sure~ I'll still have some fun with it /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bret

Yoda
I swear you can’t go down any of the freeways in Southern Kalifornia without seeing about 4 out of every 10 vehicles in the HOV (car pool) lanes. Don't know about other states but because of their hybrid status Drivers are allowed to use the HOV lanes without any passengers.

As for Al Gore's son getting arrested for speeding in his hybrid - I thought he was also popped for a DUI in addition to the controlled substance.

Bret

Yoda
I’ll admit that the FCX looks better than the Prius by a mile. The styling that as they said on *Motorweek* last night on Speed TV is something Jorge Jetson would love. But they gave it low marks for any kind of driving satisfaction.

So to me, given the total absences of any sort of performance excitement on any level - to say I like one of these over the other - is a bit like saying I like the looks of one type of disposable razors over another. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Mebbe a racing effort could get Gillette as sponsors?

bugimike

Yoda
Hmmm! cutting edge? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
bLarrf. I don't like the looks of that thing at all. Ok mebbe that tiny little bit in the rear end that has a hint of Aston Martin in it... but that nose looks like a nurse shark.
Ah welll. it seems to be the next "shape of things to come"

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Computer generated body styling really lets me down! UGLY isn`t the word for it! Might be economical, might be ergonomical, may even be fast! But BUTT UGLY it surly is! And, PUKE green isn`t my choice of colors either!

Give me an early {pre 70`s} L.B.C. anyday!

As for the Gores ...... It`s called Karma .....
What goes around comes around sooner or later.
People like that need to learn to leave us common folk alone.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
Hey, Al Gore III just got clocked in Los Angeles doing 100mph in his Prius!! In addition to the speeding ticket, he also faces drug possession charges as they found marijuana & some other controlled substances in the car.

The newspaper article I read noted that he was driving a "low emission vehicle." SWMBO wondered if the pot was low emission also? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

AweMan

Jedi Knight
I wonder if he will get jail time like Parris Hilton did. OR is he a cut above the Hilton crowd? If I was a betting person, I`d bet NO Jail for Gore!
Concerning the "OTHER" controlled substance I Bet if it was anyone other than one of are illistrious politicians siblings, we would deffinately know what that "Other" substance was!
My guess is either cocaine or meth. Either of which would be automatic jail time for a commoner.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
actually the other substances were prescription drugs that he had no prescription for. Ironically more in common with Rush than Paris /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif