• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SU Carburetor Rebuild Kits

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Advanced Auto on their web site shows a GP Sorenson carb. rebuild kit for HS2s and HS4s for $14.44 each. They also show rebuild kits for HIFs by Borg Warner for $14.99 I have no idea whats included in them, but their a lot cheaper than I paid two years ago. Definitely worth looking at. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif PJ

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Were it me, I'd not use anything except an SU rebuild kit on an SU carb - but that's just my personal preference.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Believe it or not Tony, I didn't even know that Borg Warner still made kits for these cars. I have some remnants of two carb. rebuild kits in a Borg Warner box that I bought 20 years ago. It was a good kit then. I have no idea how they are now. I have a half notion to buy one just to see the quality of it and what's in the kit. PJ

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Were it me, I'd not use anything except an SU rebuild kit on an SU carb - but that's just my personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif and even the SU kits are not exactly the greatest quality..instruction wise especially.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have yet to find a really excellent source for SU rebuild, a little here a little there is about all I have found.

I, like the Borg stuff I've gotten so far for my other cars.. maybe a new product test comparison is in order now.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Two words for SU parts people, JOE CURTO. As for rebuilding, I just happen to know this guy in SC who does a very fine job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

www.acmespeedshop.com/_images/hs4III.jpg

www.acmespeedshop.com/_images/HIFrebuild.bmp

[/ QUOTE ]

I can attest to the guy in SC who (DOES) do a very fine job! No question about it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Joe's magnetic "card" has been affixed to my toolbox for years. If you need SU bits, he's got 'em. He recently came up with a set of floats for me, to fit a friend's HS2's... early brass ones with the hole inna center: NLA, "hen's teeth" ones.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ditto on the magnetic Curto card on my toolbox also, Doc! I recently called him about the carbs on the Daimler I sold & am helping the new owner restore...not an issue for Joe, he popped what we needed right in the mail as if they were off a run-of-the-mill engine!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They are off of a run of the mill SU carb HD6's ?--Keoke :

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
i was told of curto as well by my machine shop. i have his mag card taped inside my black book. i'm not quite ready to send my su's out yet but in time he's the man.

Joe Curto is the godfather of SUs in this country for sure. He's the main reason I'm rebuilding carbs for the street, at last years BMTA meeting we shared a few beers and he told me he stayed months behind building carbs and was seeking more builders like myself to rebuild SUs to sell parts to. While I had built SU for racing with alot of mods like thru boring, I had never considered rebuilding for the street cars, Joe is why I'm now rebuilding carbs for the street, he talked me into it and I'm glad he did, I enjoy the work. I went from zero street SU rebuilds in 2005 to maybe 30 sets for 2006 and my goal for 2007 is 50 sets.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,

when comparing kit prices, do be aware that there are different levels of kits, from seal and gasket kits to full rebuild kits.

Alec

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My rule, open it up, change it all.