• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

steering trouble

dvmmatt

Country flag
Hi, I have a '59 bugeye sprite. last Friday it developed some "play" in the steering. I continued to drive the car and the problem seemed to go away but the steering was off center.
No more play in the steering until today. As I was getting ready to turn into my garage my steering failed! I was able to pull back on the steering wheel and get the car to turn. I'm thinking this is a worn out steering shaft?
Any Ideas? I will take it apart this weekend hopefully and see what the problem is.
Thanks for any input.

Matt

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
It really sounds like the spline between the steering column and the steering rack is loose/stripped.
Down at the rack area you should see a bolt and nut clamping on the rack spline but I will bet that yours doesn't have this bolt installed or if it is there then it is very loose.
BillM

Country flag
Sounds like the connection between the steering shaft and the steering rack. The pinch bolt may way worked loose and allowed the splines to slip.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like the bolt is messed up and the splines are gone.
Can you have someone turn the wheel and see if that is the location where the motion is not transmitted?
BillM

Country flag
If the shaft is turning the input shaft of the rack, then there is a problem with your pinion gear.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Replace the pinion gear. It's cheap on a BE rack. Also you need a new pinch bolt and a locking metal nut.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
DO Not Try to Drive This Car!

G

I would replace both the rack and the shaft. No room for error on steering, beit yours or a failed part.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The pinion gear is easy to change out. The bolt for the steering rack must be removed completely before the column can be pulled out. You'll find the column threads to be full of rust and other road debris. Clean out the rust and other crap in there so the pinch bolt is able to be tightened. 2 maybe 3 bolts are all it takes to pop off the cover of the rack to replace the pinion gear as I recall. Well maybe more things to do but it was simple for me when I changed out the pinion gear 10 years ago on Bugsy. Likely the pinion gear threads where it attaches to the steering column are full of rust and crap as well and now likely stripped. Hence the replacement pinion gear.Make sure the pinch bolt and metal nylock gets replaced as well. Steering column for BE's may be N/A. Take it apart and get a good look. Your life depends on this one.

G

Jim_Gruber said:
Steering column for BE's may be N/A. Take it apart and get a good look. Your life depends on this one.

Just checked and all the above appear to be correct.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Kelly, it's been 10+ years since I replaced the pinion and it really tightened up the rack. This one is like the problem we had a few months ago. Exact same issue with rust and crud that needed to be cleaned up so bolt could be properly tightened.

OP
dvmmatt

dvmmatt

Country flag
Thanks for in put guys. I can dig in to it over the weekend. Get it all cleaned up. like was said above, my life depends on it!
Matt

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Google Electrolytic Rust Removal. Might be useful in cleaning up the Steering Shaft. A battery charger, a couple of big aligator clips, wire, a sacrificial anode, a plastic tub, and a box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, some water and overnight in the soup will clean it up nicely for those parts you can't reach.