• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steering Colum to Dash finishing ring

Dace

Ref 1960 BN7 Dashboard.

Hi Guys, its been some time since the last post - winter hibernation, new postion at work and exams (old enough to know better). I've been assembling the components for a dry fit, ref fitting out my new RHD dash. Looking at the parts books suggested I needed a triangular, thin plate, eared mounting piece to fit over the steering column and behind the dash.

The chrome finishing ring with its 3 lugs then fits on the front face of the dash to finish off the opening.

Question - how does the triangular piece fit?

The three lugs on the chrome ring fit very snuggly at the narrowest point at the mid point of the plates three sides. This doesn't give any room to bend the lugs over the steel plate to adequately retain the two parts.

Looking at the original parts lt looks like the previous owner just folded the lugs back over the aluminium return of the steering column aperture in the dash without the triangular plate.

Any ideas, I hope the question makes sense. How is the triangular plate fitted/located?

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dace, it's kind of a spring fit, snug but not tight. Doesn't make a positive clamping force but leaves the chrome ring just slightly loose so it can be moved in relationship to the steering column. Replaced mine last year. Bob

richch

Jedi Trainee
There is no triangular steel plate to help mount the ring. The 3 chrome tabs of the ring simply bend back over the back side of the opening to provide a snug fit. Where did you get the idea of a triangular plate?

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
richch said:
There is no triangular steel plate to help mount the ring. The 3 chrome tabs of the ring simply bend back over the back side of the opening to provide a snug fit. Where did you get the idea of a triangular plate?

Sorry Rich, but there is a triangular plate called a "escutcheon plate" that fits behind the chrome ring. See Moss catalog page 102 item 108. A lot of people forget about this part and it never gets installed.

Dace, check out the reference mentioned above. Item 107 indicates it's a screw for the escutcheon for adjustable steering cars. Perhaps to hold it all in place?

OP
D

Dace

Hi Richch,
My BN7 was brought as a stripped car with lots of dirty and rusty bits in boxes. As I didnt strip the car I have a "contruction kit" without the plans. The bigger tasks have been relatively straight forward, its the detail parts I'm finding a pain in the a**e (English version).

As a result I'm having to refer to photos and parts catalogues. The offical BN7 parts book, Moss parts listing and AH Spares web site all show a triangular plate, which I didn't have. Having purchased it I don't see how it fits, hence the original question.

OP
D

Dace

Hi Johnny,
I noticed, "Pt No. 107 - SCREW, escutcheon, adjustable strg" in the Moss listing.

I'm even more in the dark as to where that might fit, I haven't spotted any threaded holes that would accomadate a "grub screw". The fact that Moss states their not available doesn't help. The original Service Parts List book doesn't show or list a screw. More head scratching....
Dace

OP
D

Dace

Hi Bob,
From what you say does it mean that the lugs just grip onto the long flat sides of the steel plate (at the narrowest point, adjacent to the plates central hole), and don't require deforming.
Dace

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dace, you have to bend the tangs out just a little to put some tension on the chrome ring, otherwise the whole thing will fall off. You do not have to bend them way back. I neglected to mention my car is a NON adjustable column BN6 so I'm not absolutely it's the same for your car. To clarify, the tangs go IN the hole and get bent OUTWARD, not bent around the flat sides toward the center. Bob

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi again Dace. I'm also not sure where that screw would go. It might be just for adjustable steering columns. On those, the chrome spring surrounding the column to allow the wheel to be moved has a hole in it at the rear where it goes behind the dash. I'm thinking that screw will keep the spring in place when you move the steering wheel closer to the driver.
Hope this helps.

OP
D

Dace

Johnny,
RE:- "the chrome spring surrounding the column", sounds like another piece of the jigsaw I haven't got......

Thanks guys for the info,
Dace