• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Split steering column rubber bushing installation.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am working on a split steering column car. What is the procedure to install the rubber bushing with the two ears in the top of the lower section of the column. I don't think I can just push the bushing down the inner shaft because there is a step machined in the shaft. None of my manuals even mention the split column. I have what I believe is the proper bushing. Thanks for your help and have a good day!

JOhn

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I removed the inner column, and used it to drive out the old bushing assembly. Then as I recall, I used some big pliers to compress the locating ears while I tapped the new bushing into place.

OP
J

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR3driver,
Did you install the new bushing with the shaft removed then install the shaft when the bushing was in place. Do you recall if there was a step machined in the shaft at the location of the bushing? Thanks for your help and have a good day!

John

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, I removed the shaft, installed the bushing, then reinstalled the shaft. I don't recall the shaft details for sure, but I think it has to come out the top as the section at the top felt bushing is larger than the inside of the lower bushing.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm not sure I understand your issue, but my split column has two of those rubber eared bushings -one on the bottom half and one on the top (either side of the coupler). Somehow, the two shafts must be separated and the coupler removed. If memory serves me, the coupler cannot simply be slid far enough to allow the bushing to enter. I had a big problem thinking there was a stepped collar on the shaft but it turned out to be remnants of an old bushing. A steel sleeve remained fixed onto the shaft as if it were machined there. (The new bushing had no steel sleeve.) With the shaft removed from the housing, it was possible to remove the old sleeve/bushing remains and then slide the new one in, after the shaft was back in the housing (outer tube).

Listen, It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors...