• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Soft top frame

Marla

My guestion is maybe the soft top frame I have on my 1964 TR4 is not the right one...I put the top on a while back and it fits great...but then I fold down the frame and I think it is suppose to be more flush to the back area than it is...I wanted to buy a hard stick cover/convertible top boot to actually cover the frame but I am getting all kinds of different options...the photo of the red cover is what I think I need...I can see where the snaps would connect exactly to the receivers/pins I have on the car,but then I get that this cover should be a 3 piece arrangement that I already have on the car and there is no way I can figure how to cover the frame with what I have on the car...do I have the frame folded down wrong?...seems basic to me that it just folds down and then raises to put the top on...anyone?...I am thinking that what I need is a hoodstick cover for a TR4A...Marla

Attachments

• Tr4 Convertible top boot.jpg
    Tr4 Convertible top boot.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF6301 (1).jpg
    DSCF6301 (1).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF6012.jpg
    DSCF6012.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 91

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, you can get a reprint of the owner's manual. TRF P/N 510326

Sorry, I'm more of a TR3 guy, can't help with your top bows. But I know the TR3 owner's manual is a gold mine of information (much of it not found in any other publication), so I'm guessing the TR4 version would be helpful to a TR4 owner. It talks about lifting the "quarter and rear squab trim pads", apparently the top bows store underneath those pads.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, you need the manual.

The rear upholstery comes undone and is 3 flaps that lift away. The sticks then tuck away and the 3 flaps goo over them to make a neat package.

That red stick cover may be for a 4A (which had a permanently attached top) certainly not for a TR4.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Here is a photo of a friend's TR4 that shows the 3 flaps undone and the top bows tucked into their stowed position:

Craigs%20Top_zpsalttpgmr.jpg

Look for 4 lift-the-dot fasteners along the rear edge of the carpet back there -- releasing those and lifting the carpet frees the big back flap.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
+1 on what Geo has provided. The good news is it looks like what you have is in very good shape and hopefully functions the way Geo shows it opened up. With it open you will see that the frame will tuck down nicely. And you won't need to buy a cover!

OP
Marla

Marla

Here is a photo of a friend's TR4 that shows the 3 flaps undone and the top bows tucked into their stowed position:

Craigs%20Top_zpsalttpgmr.jpg

Look for 4 lift-the-dot fasteners along the rear edge of the carpet back there -- releasing those and lifting the carpet frees the big back flap.

Unless I am folding the frame wrong,there is no way it would go down as far as the frame in the photo is depicted...but thank you for the photo...it is sweet of you to take the time to help me and I do appreciate it...Marla

Attachments

• DSCF6301.jpg
    DSCF6301.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 108

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Marla- the frame will drop down further after you lift those blue trim pieces out of the way.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
A better photo of the bow hinge area might help. There is a "dog leg" section there that can be manipulated to move the bows forward a bit, so they will go down farther.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Marla-

From your picture it looks like you are very close to success but I think you can get the frame lower - take a look at the pictures Geo have provided, the frame will tuck in even lower such that you won't see the cover pushed up like yours appears to be. Or maybe its just the way I'm looking at your last photos, when the frame is stowed the cover shouldn't look much different than how it looks when you had the frame outside of it.

Randy