• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Saw my first TR3 today

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I was just driving down the road. Someone riding with me thought it was a kit. I had to assure them that it was not. It was BRG and had some damage currently "in progress" on the rear driverside.

Ive been seeing a LOT of really nice classic cars in town lately. I thought it was because of Good Guys, but thats next weekend.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I think you are just really starting to tune into these cars now. I never use to see them at one time until I owned one and started to look for them more.

I can now see BMW motorcycles from a long way off because I own one. Can't tell much about a Harley but BMW I normally recognize.

Or to put it another way, I own a 89 740 Turbo Volvo, never really thought there were any around town, I see them all the time now. Go figure.

Welcome to the dark side.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I dunno... I still dont see any GT6es, and the only spitfires I see are at autocrosses. And that was the only triumph I knew BECAUSE I saw them. No offense to the owners, but I dont really care for any of the TRs. My husband was trying to get me into a 7 or an 8, but thats just because they were there. They look good for their era, but not a fan.

I knew what I saw was a triumph, 50% sure it was a TR, but wasnt sure until I looked it up. I only knew it was what it was because it looked like those austin healey sprite, which I really dont like. I have aproblem with the looks of the front end. Again, just my opinion. No offense to the owners, that doesnt mean theyre not still great cars.

As for BMW bikes. I love BMW. Anything with the roundel is cool IMO. (minus SUVs) But bikes just look all alike to me. I honestly cant tell the difference. If its a custom chopper. parked, I can see a difference. On the road, its just a bike to me.

I know seeing a bunch of old cars is not because I own one. Its possible that the weather is just perfect for cars with no AC. Its also possible due to the good guys early birds. But I saw several muscle cars this weekend including a yellow 21st century maseratti. A guy a work just bought a bright red lotus elise. After I saw the triumph, there was a blue chevy belair that we parked next to. There was a beautifully restored green 1st gen Z for sale near by. The restored classic truck and beetle have been there for a while though.

Really, there is a huge increase in driven show cars this week. Theres no way that the weather could be the sole reason

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Lovely cars! I still don't think I've seen more than two or three of 'em around here in 21 years of living here. I certainly haven't seen another while driving mine. I know they're not really "rare." Unusual, perhaps, but not rare. But they are pretty scarce around here.

What kind of Beemer you got, Tom? I had an R69S for 28 years.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
My beemer (which elitest claim is really a bimmer) was this one right here:
bmwsig3.jpg

Had 4 wheels though... ..now Im not too sure.
I had to sell it as a parts car. Its was very hard. It was the first car I ever had. Got it when I was 14. It hurt so much that I didnt want another car. If I didnt remember the junked gt6 across town I wouldnt have my gt6.

Thats why I love anything with a roundel, and think the bikes are cool, even though I really cant tell a difference.

Hey, can someone tell me what TR stands for?

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm just the opposite. After they quit making the 1600 / 2000 / 2002 series, I quit being able to tell the cars apart.

But I can recognize all the BMW bikes :smile:

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Moseso said:
I'm just the opposite. After they quit making the 1600 / 2000 / 2002 series, I quit being able to tell the cars apart.

Well thats the thing... ...youre right. But you see a 3 series BMW looks like a 5 series BMW... ...not cars of other makes. I meant thats I couldnt tell the difference between a harley, ducatti, or BMW. I can separate them by "chopper/sports bike/harley traditional style"

One of the reasons I loved my BMW so much was because no one had one. Who owns an old BMW? really? But occasionally Ill see a 5 series of the same era, and confuse it with my own. With BMW cars its "#/Z/X"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A proper "old" 4-wheel BMW (and, yes, a ~bimmer~) is a "greenhouse" Tii.

A 3-Series is a cheap GM-like crackerbox by comparison. :jester: :devilgrin:

...and the last good two-wheel one was the RS-90. :smirk:

HeeheeHaHaaHooHoooo!!!!!1!!!

*cough*

*choke*

:rolleyes:

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
OK, maybe it is just me but I can't tell one BMW car from another. Don't really care I guess. Now if it was a 507 or a Isetta I may be able to have them stick out but I have never seen one in real life. I would love to have at least one of each.

I have a newer BMW K1200LT. I wish I had an older one from the 40-70s but I can only collect so much stuff in the garage and only have so much $ to spend. Also my wife really likes this bike. And when the wife is happy I am happy.

This isn't my picture but this is what mine looks like.

K1200LT.jpg

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And, this, for the sake of comparison, is what mine looked like.

See, UmmYeahOk? "Different." :smile:

Attachments

• 18658.jpg
    18658.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 741

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I would love to have a R69s. What a great bike.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Thats the thing. On the road it looks just like another bike to me. Especially since modern bikes are trying to mimic the classic look. If it were in traffic, I wouldnt notice how special it was. If it were in a parking lot, I wouldnt notice how special it was. In a side by side comparison, I may notice differences. In a row of bikes, it blends in.

Im sorry, thats just who I am. Maybe its a flaw related to having two X chromosomes. I remember seeing 20+ antique italian bikes at a show once. We're talking decades older than yours. I did look at them, I did admire them. But believe me, they were the last item for me to look at, because the cars were more important, and they just looked like a bunch of bikes clustered together. Whats sad is at normal shows, if Im looking at a bike, its because of the paint/chrome. Not the build/design of it.

I guess the way I see motorcycles is like if I park a huffy next to a schwinn. I watched a $400 schwinn sell on ebay (70's spitfire, thats how I found it) Looked no different than my 21st century huffy) Its possible that they were just buying the name plate, but I saw a brand new schwinn at a store that looked the same. The only difference between my bike and my husbands is the color and where the bar is located. Sure, theres other differences like brand name, but I cant tell that if I werent the owner.

I think the thing about bikes is that theyre very basic. I was surfing wikipedia, looking at prewar Triumphs. They look identical to what we had over here in the states. Ask me what make any prewar car was and Im gonna say its a ford. Mostly because those seem to be the best at surviving, but most makes look very similar. It could be anything, really, but they all look alike to me.

Airplanes may be a better example. Unless theyre a stealth bomber, biplane, or can land on water, they all look alike to me. The only difference is size, and do they use a propeller? My husband would know what they were, just like he would with bikes.

One interesting thing is in the rare event that I see a bike with a sidecar, its always a BMW. Now sidecars, Ill notice! Of course I'll also notice 3 wheelers. I like making fun of them (not to their face) about being too old to ride a tricycle. =)

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Moseso said:

From The Olden Days, Moses:

Attachments

• 18663.jpg
    18663.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 541

Twosheds

Darth Vader
UmmYeahOk said:
B Stock... ...what a BS class!

Sad how in some countries they nickname them BMs

Actually it was B Sedan. Later became <span style="text-decoration: line-through">GT1</span>.

Oops. I mean GT2. A sedan became GT1.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
John!! Izzat "Checker'd Flag" in Virginia? Margie Bunch's dad? :wink:

Twosheds

Darth Vader
DrEntropy said:
John!! Izzat "Checker'd Flag" in Virginia? Margie Bunch's dad? :wink:

Nope, Doc. Mt. Airy, Maryland.

Fred and Lorna Beuchert back in the '70s - early '90s or so. May still be there under a different owner.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ah.

There was a "Checkered Flag" outfit somewhere N.W. of Hampton/Newport News that had BMW and Saab... daughter Margie drove a Sonnet in Auto-X and I seem to recall her dad ran a 1600 (or mebbe a 2002) SCCA. It was back in the early/mid '70's when I was around there.