• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Safety of a TR

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
Well, as I'm sure all of you know I'd really like to have a TR as my first car, but I'm worried about the safety of them. I don't much fancy being crushed by a transfer truck in a tiny Triumph, or even a collision of any kind with another vehicle. I've witnessed a crash of 2 modern vehicles and even with their new high tech chassis and airbags and everything, it's not pretty. I know that even a crash at 35 mph is enough to kill a person if they're hit right. What is your response to this? I'm not sure what I'm asking. Maybe just to start a discussion.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Motorcyclists face this all of the time. The more vulnerable you are, the more you pay attention & drive defensively. OR - natural selection will take you out!
D

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
What specific model are you wondering about?

I would imagin that having a wreck in a TR3 would potentially be far more hazardous than in a TR7.

Compaired to the TR2 trough TR6, the TR7 is actually a very safe car. While it doesn't have modern crumple zones or airbags, it was designed, to meet some stringent side impact and sidewase skid requirements that were never enacted.

I read an artical once about how some cars in the 70s were designed to meet some proposed standard in the USA that was never enacted. The article specifically mentioned the TR7 and the Fiat X1/9 as 2 of the safest cars from the 70's to be hit from the side in.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Webb,

The trick is to just pay attention. I have been driving on my own since I was thriteen and have never been in an accident though I have narrowly avoided two.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Walter's right - lots of SUV owners, juggling cell phones and lattes, simply don't see anything as small and insignificant as sports cars. Any of the separate frame Triumphs would be terrible in a crash, while a 7/8 will be better, provided the dreaded body cancer hasn't set in.

My preference is to drive a small, agile car and drive defensively. Assume everyone else on the road is a blind idiot (you'll be right, more often than not). Otherwise, your only option is to drive some lumbering tank, yakking on your cell and swilling your latte.........
cryin.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
My take on all of this is that there definitely is more risk (crash-wise) in driving a classic British and/or import car as most of them tend to much smaller and generally built before standards were even considered. But's that just the risk one takes on when driving a car like that, especially if you choose to drive it on a regular basis.

But if we never risked anything in life, would life be fun? I personally think it's an acceptable risk, I guess everyone draws that line in a different place. Want to be real nuts...
crazyeyes.gif
be the owner of an BMW Isetta micro car or Messerschmitt micro car, if you've ever seen a Messerschmitt the thing's so low to the ground you would probably be 100% out of the sight line of many vehicles on the road, it's worse than a motorbike.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'll bet there is less of a chance of being in an accident in a classic since people who drive them are generally interested in driving and have some vested interest in the safety of the car. Compared to some soccer mom breast feeding and yakking on the phone while driving. That would likely more than balance out any lack of safety features in the car itself.

clearblk

Freshman Member
I feel that these are not good cars for a new driver. Maybe after a few years experience and a few close calls you can make a better choice for your daily driver. These are great cars to use around town and to go to cruise nights and car shows and some club meetings. Drive it like a motorcycle (half the people don't see you and the other half don't pay attention). Good luck and stay safe.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is a risk, but think about the limited exposure you actually get, unless it's a daily driver.

Here's a thought do like some bikers do, run with your lights on.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
My local TR6 buddy has had several close calls. He mentioned that folks seem to look through him. I think it's likely folks look over you.
I'm just weeks away from the rework I've been doing. I will also be installing a rollbar and put a neon brake light strip on the back of it. Add to that the headlights on all the time -I hope to be seen. Also, like a motorcycle you have to be defensive if you want to keep from getting dents in the body.
IMHO drivers in Albuquerque are simply the worst I've ever seen. 17% don't have insurance - and along with the drunks that's why we're the hit and run capital of the southwest!!!
I commute 35 miles/day across town and am not likely to take my beloved TR6 to work all that often - if more than once to show it off.
Like someone mentioned there's waaaay too many distractions these days - cell phones, 1000 watt stereos, and now even LCD DVD players in the front seats.
The TR will be the weekend-country-road-short-trip machine I've always wanted.
It's a hoot when time is mine!
all the best,
Jeff

OP
Webb Sledge

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
If everyone where driving small to medium sized cars I don't think I'd worry about it as much. But with all the huge SUVs and trucks that are twice as wide, twice as long, and twice as heavy as an LBC, it's got me worried.

I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question or not, but my first car pick would be between a TR6 or a 1997 BMW M3, probably, anyway. What would you take, and M3 or the 6? Both have their good points and bad points. Both are fun to drive, and the M3 is IMHO much safter and faster, but there is just something about a Triumph that you don't get in the M3.

[ 04-08-2004: Message edited by: Webb Sledge ]</p>

Jon12

Jedi Hopeful
You will need to be very careful driving an LBC. I've had a few SUVs venture into my lane pushing me to the side of the road. Make sure you have a good loud horn and are aware of what's going on around you. I use mine as a daily driver and haven't had any problems yet.

If you are not going to have a back up car the bmw would may be a better choice. My spitfire has been reliable and never got me stuck but I've needed my ranger a few times. In the last year my car was down for 4 days to replace the rear wheel cylinder and a week to replace the radiator. I was also driving my ford ranger about 2 days a week so you will need a back up vehicle. Since you are in high school you could probably get rides with friends when your car breaks down and get away with only having the tr.

The M3 will probably get some more respect from the guys but the ladies will like the little convertible. Almost everytime I drive the spitfire some one has a positive comment. The most memorable was a stunning brunette mouthing "I like you car" and my response was "I love you." I think I forgot to play hard to get
You've got a hard choice, I wish you luck.

Steven

Jedi Trainee
I've noticed that I feel smaller and smaller in my TR6 every year....too many 18 wheelers, SUV's and other assorted Truck type vehicles on the interstate. People seem to be in way too big of a hurry and drive their vehicles way faster than they're ability to control them. In my opinion, the worst drivers are NOT soccer moms, but professional semi drivers who go too fast, drive on too little sleep, and on drugs to stay awake.
This country needs to completely redo its transport networks, especially commercial transport. We need to go back to using the railroads for long haul transport, and get rid of the semi trucks. Maybe then it will be more comfortable, safer, and more fun to drive our type of vehicles on extended road trips.
driving.gif

[ 04-12-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Steven:
I've noticed that I feel smaller and smaller in my TR6 every year....too many 18 wheelers, SUV's and other assorted Truck type vehicles on the interstate. <hr></blockquote>

That's why I always take the back roads when I'm in the TR3. More scenic, and a LOT safer!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by clearblk:
Drive it like a motorcycle (half the people don't see you and the other half don't pay attention). Good luck and stay safe.<hr></blockquote>
And -- The third half are deliberately out to get you.

Steven,
The trucks can definitely be intimidating. With the tires as high as your head & the incredible noise, I don't spend much time beside them.
D

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think the real question is are LBC's less safe than any other small car. I'll bet if anyone did or has done a study on this they would find LBC's are no more prone to fatal accidents than any other make of small car. Most of the problem is not what we drive, but how everyone else drives. Kinda scary thought, huh?
frown.gif

Steven

Jedi Trainee
Dave, I try to stay away from the semi's but every other vehicle on I-90 IS a semi.....I prefer the old rural highways too Mickey, but they don't always take you to where you need to go. It sure is fun to roll back the top and drive leisurely down old curvy rural highways...For some reason, I think that the designers of the TRs built the cars just for that. They do better than just keeping up with everyone, and much better right off the line than most newer cars. It's just that high speed combat zone called a "freeway" that drives me nuts in these cars. If we keep our cars long enough, maybe some "smart" politicians will revamp the highway system , bring back the use of the railroads, and we'll be able to enjoy our cars the way they were meant to be enjoyed. Or is the term, "smart politician" an oxymoron?
rolleyes.gif

OP
Webb Sledge

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
I'd say it is an oxymoron. I think I might find it a little intimidating when driving beside a semi and the top of my head just does clear the top of the wheel. Hmmmm.... scary? Yes.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Webb Sledge:
...car pick would be between a TR6 or a 1997 BMW M3...<hr></blockquote>

Someone once wrote that if you pick your date up in an M3 you're saying "I like you, I'll take care of you".

Pick her up in a TR3 and the message is "Let's see what you're made of".

Yes, you learn to pay attention and judicous use of the horns can help. I also added third brake lights to both TRs by splitting a set of magnetic based towing lights from WallyMart. Easily plugged in and perched on the rear deck for traffic driving, easily removed when not wanted. Sure, and I even used Lucas wiring & connectors.