• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Rubber gear shift boot tearing

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a 2 year old TRF rubber gear shift boot that has needed replacement for over a year due to tearing and I guess break down of the rubber.The current boot is a replacement TRF sent for the first one I bought that ripped after a year of sitting in the garage before the car was even on the road.
So both boots failed in less than a year.The original boot is not ripped but hardened.
I have not yet contacted TRF about the second failure,or to order another new one.
Are these boots all from the same manufacturers? Anyone else have similar problems?
Thanks
Tom

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I got my gear shift boot from TRF about 5 years ago. It's been on the car ever since then and still looks as good as when it was new. Not sure what is going on with yours!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I think I get more than 2 years out of mine -- maybe 5-7. Anyway, I always order a couple when I do to have a replacement in hand. It seems to me that the long reach to select reverse is what eventually does them in.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yep. Can't remember where mine came from, but it didn't last anytime.

Thnaks for the replies.Two failed boots in 4 years and 4k miles seems like a poor rubber qualityor molding issue.Maybe the newer batches are better.
Thanks
Tom

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Similiar to others the first boot on the TR2 lasted about a year. Replacement (from TRF) has been there for the last ten years. The problem is that the collar was too high on the shifter lever causing the boot to stretch for both first and reverse. If you push the collar down as far as possible your problem will end as did mine.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
One of the accepted "tricks" on Miata inner rubber shift boot is to liberally coat the inside with talcum powder. I think to keep oil and grease from contaminating the rubber. Don't know if it's applicable to LBC's, but doesn't look like it would hurt.
Take care Bob

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I had the same thing happen to my TR3 twice. The last time it was torn I was at the Triumpfest and told Charles Runyun from TRF and he gave me a new one off the table. That has been three years or so and no problems.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My first one tore quickly, after reinstalling it the way I found it. Realized it was put on backwards(!), ordered a new TRF one, haven't touched it in 10 years...

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My first one tore quickly, after reinstalling it the way I found it. Realized it was put on backwards(!), ordered a new TRF one, haven't touched it in 10 years...

Thanks again for all the replies.My boot was positioned right.There was no excessive stretching in first or reverse.The deep dish of the boot would seem to provide plenty of movement.The rubber just seems dry rotted and very thin.
TRF did replace the first one no charge.
Thanks
Tom

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I am not sure if this product actually protects, or is just a "snake oil", but I use Griot's Rubber Conditioner on my tires and rubber bits. (Mainly I use it as it keeps door seals from sticking if the door is not opened for a long time - ie winter storage. And I really like the flat black appearance on tires.)

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/vinyl+rubber+dressing.do

"Special UV blocking agents leave behind a protective coating to help keep your vinyl and rubber parts from cracking, fading, and hardening."

No financial interest, etc.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Slathering the boot (both sides) with armor-all has always seemed to help as well. Probably there's now an even-better protectant to use, though.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Have you looked to see if there might be any extra heat below the boot coming from an exhaust leak? I believe there is a joining of two pipes just below that area. Just a wild thought.
Charley

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Have you looked to see if there might be any extra heat below the boot coming from an exhaust leak? I believe there is a joining of two pipes just below that area. Just a wild thought.
Charley

Thanks ,all sugestions appreciated even wild ones but the exhaust is all new SS with no leaks.In fact my header pipe is wrapped with insulation all the way back to the X brace.
I am still convinced the issue is poor quality rubber.Maybe the next one will be better from a different batch.
On another note I am happy this an inexpensive easy to change part and that I am at the point of dealing with these minor issues that don't keep me off the road.
May all our Triumph problems be so minor.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I use silicone spray on mine. Some car I owned actually had that in the owner's manual, to spray the door seals every year. Seems like it helps, anyway I've been running the same one (from TRF) for a lot of years. ISTR it looked noticeably better made than the previous one though (which didn't last nearly as long), so as always YMMV.