• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rendezvous 2006 Driving Questions

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
When checking the Activities Calendar in last months Austin Healey Magazine I noticed that Rendezvous 2006 is about a month after Conclave. Seeing as the drive to Ohio isn’t going to be that far I asked my spouse if she would be interested in going to Rendezvous in British Columbia. Fortunately I got her standard proposed long Healey trip answer – “Why not!”.

So after buying maps, doing mapquest stuff, and motel/Bed and Breakfast searching on the Internet I’ve got some questions. I’ve laid out a route that is usually between 250 – 300 miles a day that will take us to Vancouver, BC before we head back to Nelson, BC for the meet. I have some questions about 2 of my travel days, car service and one of our possible stops on the way back.
Question 1. – Is it reasonable to go from Shelby, MT to Bonners Ferry, ID in one day? It appears to be around 300 miles but mostly mountain driving which can slow things down considerably.
Question 1a. – Should we stay on US 2 the whole way between Shelby and Bonners Ferry or go north through Eureka (US 93) then MT 37 to Libby, MT and pick up US 2 again?
Question 2. – Is it reasonable to go from Vancouver, BC to Grand Forks, BC in one day? It appears to be around 325 miles.
Question 3. – Is there a place in Vancouver I could get an oil change and lube? Vancouver will be about the 2,500-mile mark.
Question 4. – We plan to come back through Canada to International Falls, MN. The first day is to Golden, BC. When checking out places to stay I stumbled across a “Raft and Stay” plan at the McLaren Lodge with Wet ‘N’ Wild Adventures Ltd. We’ve talked about trying white water rafting (big rubber raft with professional guide style) for years so this seems to be a great time to do it. Anyone know any reason for us to not use the above mention package?

This will be our first time in the northwest and I'm sure we and Miss BT will love it.

Bob McElwee
'62 BT7

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Bob!

I'm from the host Province but reside in the Okanagan Valley. I can't help you out with an oil change spot in Vancouver area but I do know you'll love the rapids and the windy roads near Golden! Another option for rapids is the Clearwater area and doing the Fraser Canyon (could save you some mileage as well) beautiful area and lots of scenery!

I take it your travelling the Hope Princeton Highway from Vancouver in route to Grand Forks? Is so Oliver/Osoyoos is also a great stop over!

DT

OP
Bob McElwee

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the info, DT. Yes, we will be on the Hope Princeton Highway. We try to follow the 'dotted' lined highways as much as possible. Will check out your suggestions.
bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi BOB, I can not add anything specific to your querry.However, it is my experience when traveling long distances solo in the Healey that "you" must be prepared to effect any service you may require while in route.---Keoke

OP
Bob McElwee

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hi Keoke,
I kinda had my fingers crossed that there might be a place in Vancouver. If not, I'll probably wait till Nelson to do it.
bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob, I did not have any car trouble while traveling in VC but for the life of me I can not remember any service facilities that were there,should be some I would think.But to illustrate my point. When I was in Breckinridge Colo,I could not get a flat tire fixed at the village Mobile Station because they did not know what to do with a tubed tire.Fortunately, they let me use their facility to do it myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif--Keoke

OP
Bob McElwee

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Well, the chance to do a 10 day river cruise in France in September has scuttled (pun intended) our grand trip to Rendezvous this year. So I guess we will just have to wait till 2008 and turn left towards San Diego instead of right towards VC when we reach the Pacific Ocean. Thanks for the feed back.
bob

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Question 2 - I've driven that route Vancouver - Kalispell,
Montana,many times.It took one very long day.The drive from Grand Forks to Vancouver is reasonable,& the scenery is fantastic!
You also can't go wrong on any of the roads in NW Montana/Northern Idaho.
If you have the time,I'd also recommend stopping in Fort Steele,BC.It's an old mining town type park.It's
just over the Montana border,about 30 miles North of Eureka.

- Doug