• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG 2006 - My Most Recent Gatlinburg Visit

Yo chaps!

I just returned from a working weekend in Gatlinburg with the MG Council and the East Tennessee MG Drivers' Club.

It was a VERY productive weekend...and I gained a lot of new friends with the ETMGDC! They are a great group of folks and will be a golden asset to the Council in our journey to provide the participants at MG2006 an event that will be talked about for years!

I drove down to Gatlinburg on Thursday...and came in to town via SR321 rather than SR441 through Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. Unless you absolutely MUST take SR441 through this mecca of tourism, I highly advise chosing an alternative route such as the one I just mentioned, if you are coming in from the north. It took me 30 minutes to drive the (approximately) 22 miles from Cosby (where the car display/show will be held during MG2006) to the portico of the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Gatlinburg (where I stayed this weekend). Taking SR441 could very easily eat up a couple of hours of driving time due to the stop-and-go traffic. We will have recommended routes for your arrival to and from Gatlinburg...I strongly recommend that you take our advise!

Friday morning, I visited with Kathy Evans of the Gatlinburg Convention Center. MG2006 was the first group to contract with the Center (although there will be functions held in the new building before our awards banquet) for an activity in their NEW facility (which had its Grand Opening on Thursday)...and I'm certain that you will be pleased with what we have to offer for the awards banquet, which will be held in this new facility on Saturday night. We only have room for a few hundred more people at the awards banquet, as the room has a capacity of 1300, and this has been a very popular event!

Friday afternoon, we visited with the management team of the Glenstone Lodge. Registration for MG2006 will be held in what we have renamed "The Kimber House" (but is known to the locals as the Glenstone Conference Center, a small building that stands to the front and "stage left" of the Hotel. The Wednesday night "Welcome BBQ" will be held at the Glenstone, and we are nearly at capacity...so if you are "thinking about going" you might want to sign up NOW! We also revisited the Convention center as a group and received a "behind the scenes" tour of the new building. It is a GREAT facility, and is in within walking distance of all of the hotels except the Park Vista. (We will be arranging for a dedicated trolly on Saturday evening to make your visit to and from the convention center a little easier!)

Friday evening we took a break and visited the Sunspree's pub after having a very good dinner at Calhouns' Restaurant (where the MGA Register will be holding their Register nite activities on Friday during MG2006). We were entertained in the pub by some local (and some not-so-local) karaoke singers. Two types of music predominated. Country AND Western! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saturday morning, we drove to the Visitors' Center 'on Cosby' where we met with representatives of the Center as well as about a dozen VERY enthusiastic members of the East Tennessee Drivers' Club. After a very productive (yet informal) meeting at the Center, we adjourned for lunch and visited the "Fox and Parrot" Pub (found in the Artists' Circle just north of Gatlinburg). If you appreciate true English pub food and potables, you MUST visit the Fox and Parrot whilst you are in Gatlinburg. (The MGC Register will be holding its Friday evening Register gathering at this location.)

We returned to Gatlinburg, where the Council members met at Kimber House. We were able to finalize most of the week's program at this meeting. (The trophies that will be awarded on Saturday night are VERY unique!) The website will soon be updated to reflect what resulted from this meeting!

We chose Bennet's BBQ for supper on Saturday evening...and made good friends with our waitress. (She was JUST like us! .... It was kind of scary!)

We all called it an early evening as travel on Sunday for all involved would take most of the day. I left Gatlinburg about 7am today (3/26) with the intention of driving to Deals Gap to "Tame the Dragon" (SR129 and its 318 turns in 11 miles) with my 300ZX. But Mother Nature dealt me a joker and provided a snowstorm (see attached picture) throughout the weekend that closed the road that I wanted to take over to Deals Gap. I considered taking the Foothills Parkway over to the west end of the Dragon and driving it from west to east, turning around at Deals Gap, and doing it over.....but common sense prevailed as I realized that the same storm that closed the mountain highway may have made the "skin" of the dragon a little too slick to enjoy it as I would have liked ...so I simply took the Little River Road to Townsend, then over to Maryville and Alcoa before hitting I-75 and points northwest.

It was a GREAT, productive weekend in Gatlinburg. The Council members left with the confidence that this will be THE event to attend in your MG in 2006....and will be THE event that will be talking about for years to come!

See you in Gatlinburg for MG2006 - "A Driving Experience in the Smokies!"

Attachments

• 193306-Smoky300ZX.jpg
    193306-Smoky300ZX.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 90

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Rick, As there will be quite a lot of people at the various events, are we going to have a parking problem? Not meaning the main show in Cosby, just the social gatherings. How about security for our cars? PJ

OP
rick_ingram
Yes...parking in Gatlinburg will be a concern. We have an advantage in that 6 out of 7 of the hotel properties are almost across the street from each other. (The Park Vista is the only hotel that is somewhat removed.)

We have parking for each of our registrants at the hotel where they are staying...and we are stressing that if they want to visit friends at one of the other hotels, that they WALK there (or take the trolley)...this will preserve spaces at each hotel for those MGers staying at said property. This is also why we HIGHLY RECOMMEND staying at one of the MG 2006 hotels rather than making arrangements on your own and driving to the site(s) each day, as you are guaranteed a parking spot each day. We cannot guarantee this for those making room accomodations at non-MG2006 hotels.

Gatlinburg is NOT a risky area...we have not arranged for security, but with all of our MGers staying in one area, I highly doubt that we will be having any concern with theft or vandalism. The Gatlinburg police also patrol the area quite frequently.

AS for parking at the social events....there is really NO NEED to drive your vehicle to them. Walk or take the trolley. The trolley even runs out to the Fox and Parrot! (Which those attending the MGC nite may want to do anyway, especially with the high quality of potables that I found there on Saturday...we don't want anyone driving under the influence!) The MGB event is within walking distance...the MGA event at Calhouns is within walking distance..the MMM and the NEMGTR events are both being held at the Glenstone....both within walking distance....and if/when you venture downtown...your can walk or trolley it!

Yes...this is "A Driving Experience in the Smokies"...but we want you to experience the surrounding area and its amentities...NOT get frustrated with stop-and-go traffic and the inability to obtain a parking place!

Cheers!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Rick - looking forward to a great time; however, as we visit G'burg quite often, I'm curious how ya'll are going to maintain those parking spots for us? There'll be lots of tourists there & I know how they are about grabbing whatever empty spot they find - regardless of whether or not its a 'legal' parking spot...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Haha, everyone take two trafic cones with them.

OP
rick_ingram
Most of the parking spots at the hotel properties are out of sight from the street. While I cannot promise that an occasional tourist will not be tempted to park at the Sunspree, etc...I seriously doubt if that will happen.

The Microtel is the property located closest to the tourist attractions. They patrol their lot very closely.

I don't think this will be much of a problem.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Please do - I move them & park in those spaces!

Last week, I couldn't find a place to park in N'Awlins on St Charles....noticed every day a guy got cones out of his car & put them in the spot where had been parked....he'd come back later & move them & get in the spot....I asked a policeman I saw if he owned the spot since lots of businesses pay for them & get a sign erected saying it was restaurant, store, hotel, etc parking only....the cop looked for a sign, told me how to tell if it was 'owned' & said no...they just didn't bother him since he worked nearby & it wasn't a big deal to them.

Welllllllllllllll...I just pulled right in the spot & set his cones on the curb....next morning when I got ready to leave, he was livid....my answer, "Call a cop. I'll wait." He stormed off cursing....

So, mark my spot with your cones....hehehehehe (however, I wouldn't do that to an LBC brother)

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
Tony, at MG2003 they had at least 150 parking spots roped off at the show hotel for the attendies!

Sounds convenient for the theives

<voice of discontent>

OP
rick_ingram
We have the entire Glenstone Lodge booked. We have the entire Microtel booked. We have the entire Super 8 booked. we have a majority of the suites at the Town Center booked. We have the entire Holiday Inn booked. We have the entire Park Vista booked.

With this many MG enthusiasts in one spot, I find it hard to believe that someone from outside of our circle will not be recognized.....and watched....by a thousand eyes....most likely 24 hours a day.

The Sales Manager at the Convention Center reinterated how safe and secure Gatlinburg is...it has an extremely low crime rate.

I truly don't believe that there will be a problem with theft or vandalism. If you['ve been to any of the NAMGBR events, or the UML Summer Party, Indy '96 and/or MG 2001...I think you understand what I'm saying here...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was open game for theft... Just that with that many collector cars in one place at one time... in an openly advertised event... Seems likely, but I understand the part about the hobbyists being around 24 hours a day workin' talkin' and lookin'... so theft is probably improbable. It's not the reason I'm not coming. Unfortunately I had to go the vacation route my wife planned this year. I really wish I could be there.

When are y'all coming back and where?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gatlinburg is a real safe place - I'd have no problem parking my MG in that town...but, I do know the visitors aren't especially friendly - especially when they're trying to find a parking place...so, better have the MG police on full patrol because a few ropes won't stop them - & the police aren't gonna help either because all tourism is welcome (& needed)

Oh, I get in trouble a lot for saying what needs to be said....atlinburg is a great place...except in the summer when its overflowing with tourists & then its dog eat dog! I remember one night when about 20 or so LBC's went to dinner & a couple were blocked in afterwards because somebody could wedge their cars in sideways behind them!

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Are you going or not Tony? I thought I just read in a thread (maybe Keenan's paint thread?) that you weren't going?

I plan on doing all my driving Saturday through Tuesday, before all the other 900+ MGs get down there. On Wednesday I'm changing hotels to the Glenstone and parking the car and not moving it til the show. I see no need whatsoever to drive anywhere. If I have to go somewhere and the shuttles or buses can't get me there, a cab can.

OP
rick_ingram
While I certainly hope that most MGers will indeed get out and explore the wonderful roads to be driven in the area during MG2006 (after all, we are promoting it as a Driving Experience), Janel is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT...while in Gatlinburg proper, there is really no need to drive you car from the hotel to a restaurant, etc. We chose hotels that are close to a lot of great restaurants...the trolley system works well...and on each of my visits to G'Burg, my feet got me to a LOT of places as well.

I have repeated advised to use the Transit System during your stay at MG 2006...even to visit Pigeon Forge and/or Sevierville. We are looking out for the attendees...and want them to be educated in advance of some of the pitfalls and potholes that may come across their path in Gatlinburg and the surrounding area.

Any city that we would have/could have chosen to host an event of this magnitude will have its own set of problems. Gatlinburg is no different. But I truly believe that all in attendance will enjoy the city and surrounding area...if they heed some of the advise that the Council and others have given regarding traffic flow, etc.

Most of us on this BBS are not "LBC event novices". Use some common sense...and help out those who may still have some naivity on board.

< sigh >

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, Rick, I'll hit you with another question. What if someone is not staying in Gatlinburg, but in the Pigeon Forge area? We have no hotel reservations for parking space and we have to drive to town. Any comments on this? PJ

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Right now, Janel, we're focusing on the V8 show

OP
rick_ingram
Geez.........why do you think I've been trying to get folks to stay in Gatlinburg, at MG2006 affiliated hotels?!?!?!?!

Half of the action that happens at these meets happens in the hotel parking lots....

I, as is Janel, am under the impression that you were not coming to Gatlinburg for the event of the year, based on a statement you posted in Keenan's Colour thread. Why then is this even concerning you?

End of rant.

You need to look at this as a vacation...and part of the vacation expense in lodging.

Personally, I would not want to commute back and forth to G/Burg on a daily basis....heck of a lot easier to have a room...and a parking space...on site.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, we're focusing on the V8 show!

Not concerning me, Rick - just an interesting discourse on parking in Gatlinburg at any time of the year!

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
So you're going to the V8 show and not MG2006? I'm confused, I thought this was just an 'update' thread in general.

Either way, this is a vacation for us. Food, lodging, etc., all gets factored in and it's no big deal. As far as parking, heck, doesn't take much to roll a Midget out of my way.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Country flag
HEY!!!