• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Red Line Oils MGB Transmission?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Can Red Line oil be used in an MGB transmission with over drive?
Ever since I rebuilt the transmission in the 72, it shifts a little stiff, not uncomfortable, but stiff. It's had 20/50 in it since 2006 and it's still the same today as it was back then. Could Red Line synthetic be put in it to replace the 20/50? What impact would there be on the over drive? If there's the slightest question, I'll leave it as it is. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Find some straight 30-weight, Paul. Pennzoil come to mind.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Doc, think the straight 30W will make it shift a little easier? That's my main concern and I don't want to put anything in there that could cause the brass syncros to wear faster. I'm getting different opinions, as someone else told me to use Red Line MTL as it's a little thinner than MT90. Kinda confused here. I have MT90 in the TF, but the trannies are different, especially the B with the overdrive, which is another concern. It was also said with the MTL, the OD will shift a little faster. :concern: PJ

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not sure it'll shift any 'easier' with the 30W, but a four-synchro box still has the layshaft needle bearings to consider. Haven't had experience with MTL, would like to see a box apart after extended use before switching.

Also: Some of the synth lubes are a bit too slick and defeat the friction needed by the baulk rings to do their job.

If it doesn't leak with 20/50, it likely won't change.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Doc! I'm going to rethink this. The car doesn't get driven much, so the transmission hasn't had a lot of running time. I'm going to a show in Arkansas in September and driving the B. I'll see how things are when I get back. PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Paul - I've run both 20W50 and the straight 30 non-detergent in the 4-syncro MGB box and couldn't tell the difference. It was a deliberate shift either way, it's not that delicate of a gearbox.

If I still had that car I'd have stuck with the 20W50 just to be able to stock one kind of oil for engine and transmission.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My curiosity was Drew, I have MT90 on the shelf for the TF and thought it might make the B shift a little easier, which was the reason for the questions. I think I'm going to leave it alone with the 20/50 in it until I make this 200 mile run next month. Should get things warmed up a bit. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just found out I can use it in an MGB transmission with OD! I already have some on the shelf, so another quart should do it. Doug on the Healey forum has been using it in his Healeys for quite some time with no issues in his OD units. Says his transmissions shift smoother, run quieter and cooler. All good stuff! PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So I'm a dinosaur!

May need to rethink and try the Redline lubes. :wink:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hey Doc, Talk about dinosaurs, when we were kids, this was the oil of choice! I think it was 2 bucks for a 2 gallon can at Pep Boys! That re processed oil was expensive stuff! Cheaper when on sale! :highly_amused: PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I recall as a teen buying the recycled oil in quart "Mason" jars with their own pointed cone shaped lids, for 35 cents apiece.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Many people have used this with OD without problems, and Redline says it is OK with ODs, BUT if you put a lot of torque through the gearbox, you can get slip and trash an OD unit. We never use anything but straight weight non-detergent in the race cars.

busybrit

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I agree, if you change from what the manual suggests, put 30W ND in, usually Warren, found at the local can gas station, not the redline. The redline will work and works ok with overdrives, but the molecule sizes are much smaller. if you don't have a gearbox leak now, you will later.

The Non Detergent oil doesn't have the ability to encapsulate the dirt molecule's and therefore the dirt sinks to the bottom of the gearbox. If you had a filter, like an engine encapsulated dirt molecule's would float around and get caught in the filter. That's why you use ND in a LBC transmission. If the gear change is still a little stiff, try using 1/2 a measuring cup full of automatic transmission fluid. This has worked well for me in the past.

www.britishcarmechanic.com