• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radio Antenna

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
The radio antenna on my GT "Harold" was broken off, so I ordered a replacement. Foolishly, I didn't undo the broken antenna beforehand: when I came to replace it, I found that it takes up almost no space under the wing, whereas the new replacement needs about 6" of vertical space to house the telescoping parts. I assume that the original antenna must have been a fixed, permanently extended, unit. Are such things available any more?

In other news, I have acquired some original air cleaners and housings at a bargain price on Ebay ... $9.99 for the pair, including filters and all hardware. Also in the lot is a set of plug wires, and a brand new gear shift boot cover. I:m trying to decide whether to use these originals, or the units I have fabricated myself from the pancake filters that came with the car. (I'll post a photo of those once they're fitted.)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes and no, there are two types of telescoping antennas. One is made to hide itself in the fender. The other only collapses into one length and stands proud of the fender. Both types are readily available at most auto parts stores. However, the one you have is designed to prevent thrill seeker's from breaking it off your car when you are not around. If it will fit on your car why not just use it!.---Fwiw--Keoke

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
HI Keoke,

It wont fit .... there's not enough vertical clearance under the wing. Fortunately it wasn't expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll start looking for the "standing proud" telescoping types: thanks!

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Or maybe you could mount it just in front of the boot lid, preferably on the left side. I believe there is adequate room for it there.

Guinn

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Are the GT fenders different than the Roadster fenders? As there's plenty of room in a roadster fender behind the removable splash guard.PJ

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I assume that the original antenna must have been a fixed, permanently extended, unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing as a factory original antenna. Each distributor fit radios as they wished. Some did it themselves, some left it to the local dealer. In the central US, all cars got radios at the port of entry in
New Orleans. Antennas for those came from a wholesale supply company in NYC. Disappearing antennas were used as well as standard ones. Suggest you just use whatever fits and meets your visual satisfaction.

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
Julian,
I may be interested in the air cleaners that you do not use. My car has been converted to dual SU's, but it is a '76 and the brake booster is in the way of the rear carb. The air cleaners I bought do not fit. when i got the car it had the old pancake type in a box, but they are in rough shape.

Let me know if you are intrested in parting with one set or the other.

Rob

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Julian,
I may be interested in the air cleaners that you do not use. My car has been converted to dual SU's, but it is a '76 and the brake booster is in the way of the rear carb. The air cleaners I bought do not fit. when i got the car it had the old pancake type in a box, but they are in rough shape.

Let me know if you are intrested in parting with one set or the other.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Rob, will do. I'm hoping to fit the pancakes today, and see how they look.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Are the GT fenders different than the Roadster fenders? As there's plenty of room in a roadster fender behind the removable splash guard.PJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the problem is there is an existing hole, and I don't really want to have to fill that and drill another.

The existing hole is on the passenger side, about 6" in front of the windscreen. There is no vertical clearance to speak of underneath, inside the fender :-(

What I need is an antenna that unscrews when not in use: it's been pointed out to me that fitting one that sits proud would interfere with a car cover.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Most car covers have a hole for the antenna.

BillK

Freshman Member
I had the same problem on my B the hole was located above the trumpet on the inner fenderwell. Not drilled far enough to the side for a telescoping antenna to clear. I used the type with a short flexable rubber antenna that unscrews from the base.
Bill

Most modern Ford and GM trucks and vans come with a freestanding antenna that can be unscrewed for car-washes/theft-prevention/etc. I'd take a trip to a local junkyard, and look around.

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
For the record, although it might not help you out this time around Julian, the hole must be drilled in the fender just to the off side of the structural box below it's surface. There is PLENTY of room to the offside of the box, but if the guy installing the radio originally didn't know about it he would have had the same problem.

The hole for mounting the antenna on my car is four inches outboard of the fender/cowl seam and six inches forward of the metal part of the windshield post. The lead goes through a small hole drilled by the PO through the side of the box in that area.

You could drill the box but before you do, look carefully at where the hole will be opening into. If everything looks like it might be a go you can get a rubber wiring harness grommet and put it in the hole in the box and just pass the "lowered" tube section through it. I bought one of these "flush" antennas in stainless from Advance for less than ten bucks.

Jack