• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Pricing Spitfire parts for sale?

HerronScott

Darth Vader
All,

Looking for some advice on how to fairly price Spitfire parts for sale. My wife and I were heavily involved in our Triumphs from around 1980-1992 (our only cars were a 1966 TR4A and a 1968 Spitfire Mk3) but with a new house, wife and son, the cars have been in storage since that time waiting time and workspace for restorations.

We've decided to just keep the 2 TR4A's and the TR3A and get rid of her Spitfire and the parts that I had managed to collect over the years. The new and NOS parts should be pretty easy to come up with a price based on what the vendors are selling the parts for but I have no idea what some of the used parts are selling for these days. This would include things like a hardtop, D-type overdrive transmission, Mk1 engine, standard transmissions, differentials, rear axles, etc.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me!

Scott

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You might try checking ebay for Sold item history. Many of those items (differential, for example) come up regularly on ebay, and you can get a sense of what the sell for, given the condition they are in.

Some items (hardtop?) don't come up that much, but there will be some sales at least.

As it is an auction medium, maybe just putting them out on ebay and accepting what they sell for is a way to go.

OP
HerronScott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
billspit said:
Wow. I definitely might have an interest in a hardtop and the OD trans.

Once I get the Spitfire parts separated from the TR parts, I'll certainly let you know. My wife's parents lived in Spartanburg for a number of years until they retired back here in Virginia!

It will probably be a month or so before I can get things really organized.

Scott

OP
HerronScott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
guzzul said:
You might try checking ebay for Sold item history. Many of those items (differential, for example) come up regularly on ebay, and you can get a sense of what the sell for, given the condition they are in.

Some items (hardtop?) don't come up that much, but there will be some sales at least.

As it is an auction medium, maybe just putting them out on ebay and accepting what they sell for is a way to go.

I was about to say that I hadn't had much luck in my recent searches there, but I see that someone is selling a standard transmission for $60 minus bell housing and shifter assembly now and there's also an early Spitfire hardtop as well.

Then again I also see one of the stores has a standard transmission for $250 which seems high to me. What I really can't believe are the prices for the rebuilt overdrive transmissions. Wow...

Scott

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm afraid you will get a wide range of prices off fleabay, but at least you can get an idea. The last few transactions I've had on ebay have soured me a bit. I've seen one hard top for a later Spit repeatedly listed that was a total piece of crap with a buy it now for $450. I wouldn't drive across town to pick it up for free. Price will depend on condition, whether all glass is present and, maybe most important, if you have all the mounting bits.

The important thing about the OD transmission is does it work. Do you know for sure it does (or did when pulled). D-type ODs are reportedly getting tough to find repair parts for. I got a J-type OD in a $250 parts car. Its now in my Mk I, but would rather have the correct unit. I've seen ODs sell for 400-700 dollars on ebay. Usually the condition was very good.

A standard 4 speed transmission isn't worth a great deal. I ahve three in my storage building. Same for a 4.11 differential and rear axles. A 3.89 differential may bring $75-150. But I've seen one listed by a reputable used parts dealer for $250. Again, it depends on condition, if you find somebody who NEEDS the item badly enough and how long you want to hold it.

BTW , I've passed through Staunton a couple of times headed to MD. Nice area with cool history. My daughter currently lives in Richmond. Let me know when you sort everything out. Shoot me a PM.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
I passed through Staunton on my drive from KY to NS in my newly aquired Spitfire about 6 years ago. Stopped and had lunch in a passenger car.

OP
HerronScott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Bill,

Definitely right on the e-bay prices. I appreciate the guidance and will let you know when I have things sorted out.

A lot of nice back roads around here which were very enjoyable to drive around on a warm summer night with the top down on your British sports car and your best girl by your side. <grin>

Scott