• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 pricing help

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Without getting too personal, I've decided to let my TR6 go for a number of reasons. None of them relate specifically to the car, as I love it. But priorities, space, time and money are of concern. I can't afford not to finish my TR3 project and I can't afford to keep both.

I presently have the TR6 insured (agreed upon value) of $14k, but a quick look at ebay sales would imply this value is a bit inflated. I understand 'replacement value' and 'resale vale' may not be consistent, but I'm at a loss as to what my car is worth. Here is the ad I was considering, but I'd like some feedback -or if you know anyone interested, please have them contact me.

1974 TR6 Carmine red with white top. Factory (non working) A/C. Leather top boot and new tonneau cover. Uprated bushes and springs, front and rear. Good tires (2 new) on original steel rims with centers and stainless trim rings. Temp controlled aux radiator fan. 70amp alternator. Electronic ignition. Silicon fluid. Recently overhauled 4-speed transmission and clutch. Adjustable trailing arm brackets. For a 30+ year old car with 90k+ miles, it looks great, drives better than new and has been very dependable and a great deal of fun. I wish I could keep it, but I presently can't afford the time, space, or money it takes, and I very much wish to finish my TR3 project.

Attachments

• 25488.jpg
    25488.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 442
G

Man, why you gotta sell it now when I don't have the $$$ !!!!

I want a cleaner one w/ a/c but would prefer green, however; the only way I could afford another one now is if it was $14 and you'd let me pay off the other $13 in the next 30 years.

"For a 30 year old".....sounds like an excuse, " Looks great" is better IMO.

That's like a 25 year old chic saying, "You're good looking....for an old guy."

"I wish I could keep it, but I presently can't afford the time, space, or money it takes." Makes it sound like it's gonna force me to sleep outside and eat me out of house and home.

What's the a/c need? I'd get that fixed.

Highlight it's strong points, Kept indoors? Never wrecked? No rust? No bondo? Solid frame? If it's been repaired/replaced, highlight that, if not, highlight "original" parts. How many miles? Engine rebuilt?

V

vagt6

My tuppence worth: Fix the A/C and anything else that's broken first. You won't get top pricing for a broken car.

Then, list it on eBay for $14,000 (or more) and set your reserve at your lowest acceptable price. If it doesn't sell, at least you've learned what the market will bear for your particular car.

TR-6 prices seem to be all over the scale. $12-14K for a TR-6 like yours is not unreasonable. Heck, ask more, maybe you'll get lucky!

Some folks don't like eBay, but it clearly gives you the widest possible market in which to sell the car. I've bought and sold many LBCs, parts and motorcycles on eBay and never had a bad experience. Just be careful, follow the rules, and you'll get what you need.

Good luck, let us know. :yesnod:

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You can't set your reserve lower than the starting bid. In other words if you list it at 15 and your lowest acceptable price is 13, you can't make 13 work as a reserve
You can set your reserve at 15 and list it at 13 or any price under the reserve.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
poolboy said:
You can't set your reserve lower than the starting bid.
Does the "Make an offer" option not apply to automobiles ?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
On Ebay if you want a reserve you have to specify a Reserve price which is hidden from the bidders.
You can have a "make an offer" for the seller to consider, but that's different than having a reserve price on the car during the auction.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But the effect is the same, whether eBay calls it a "reserve price" or not. You can set a starting bid higher than the least you are willing to take, set the "or make an offer" flag, then not accept the final offer if it is less than your (private) reserve amount.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I was talking about a Reserve price in the context that Mark posted.
I don't see the logic of setting a reserve lower than the starting bid.
If anybody bids on it there would have been no need to have a reserve price and having had to pay extra for that option, btw

There are other ways to sell it; "Buy it Now" or Make an Offer"
You can even relist it if it doesn't sell at auction the first go round and all the bidders will be notified that the item has been relisted, with possible changes, if they want another shot at it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree, using a hidden reserve doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. But it is possible to have a hidden reserve (in the usual meaning of a price below which you will not sell) that is lower than the advertised opening bid.
poolboy said:
If anybody bids on it there would have been no need to have a reserve price
Not true. With the "make an offer" option, bidders can offer (bid) less than the advertised opening bid.

So if he were to list the car at say $15k, with "make an offer"; I could offer say $13k. If no one offers more by the end of the auction period, then he gets to decide if he will take the $13k or keep the car.

Or I believe even making a counteroffer "I really couldn't take less than $13.5" is allowed under eBay rules (as long as they get their cut).

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
This is like comparing beans and tomatoes and not going anywhere.

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Back to your original question on your ad; I agree with kellysguy in that you should not sound like you are apologizing for it being a 30+ year old car. All the restoration info looks great and I'd emphasize as you said, "90,000 original miles, it looks great, drives better than new and has been very dependable and a great deal of fun". But please don't shoot yourself in the foot and go public with, "I wish I could keep it or can't afford to, or don't have time or space" or whatever. Tell'em you have enjoyed restoring and driving the car and are ready for a new challenge as you enjoy the rebuild as much or more than the driving experience and look forward to your new TR3 project. As far as value goes you know better than I but it is a great looking car and you should ask what the market will bear. You can always come down; advertise it for $16k obo and set your reserve as per the comments you got above. Good luck with the sale and with your TR3.

G

..or sell it to me for $14. :jester:

But only if it comes with some of Bill's bean and tomato soup...and that better have an extra helping of cat in it too. :thumbsup:

hondo402000

Darth Vader
by setting a reserve if no one buys it by the end of the auction you will still owe E bay the percentage they get based on the reserve price

I know it happed to me

Hondo

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks, those are some great suggestions and concerns. I've never sold anything on ebay, but I know the biggest advantage is that it's quick.

We drove the TR6 to a party in New Caney over the weekend and my fiance made it very clear that she didn't want me to sell the TR6. She agrees we probably will decide to keep the TR3 or TR6, but that decision should not be until the TR3 is finished. -In the meantime, she doesn't want to be without an operable TR. So I found some cash in one of my retirement plans that I could take without penalties, and think I'll keep it a bit longer.

I think it's funny that I thought I'd written a fairly positive ad, but now I see how much it can be improved. This forum has always been helpful. Thanks again.

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Outstanding! Got two TR's and a woman who appreciates 'em; she's a keeper too! Lucky devil :0)

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I, among many, are very happy to see it staying under your roof.