• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin Healey current pricing of cars

emgeetf

Country flag
I have seen Austin Healey 3000 car prices fluctuate at an alarming rate in the last 5 years and they seem to be edging towards the $ 50,000 to $ 70,000 for a restored car currently. I have been trying to see whether these cars actually sell for their asking price, and whether these prices are realistic. No one seems to know what the current prices should be on these big Healeys.

Can someone tell me what the current market pricing should be specially for a project Big healey. What should a project car fetch in the current market place and also the pricing on a original running car that is considered to be in avarage condition. I am not interested in the pricing on restored ones as they are beyond my reach but i am sure their pricing will influence the market pricing of lesser conditioned healeys as well. I need some expert advice on this matter. Thank you.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but I was just looking at NADA for pricing on my car so I'll share it. Mine is a 1963 BJ7. I was shocked by the difference. You can look up the other prices on the NADA site.
Dale

NADAguides.com Price Report, High Retail prices
August 2009 $48,850 January 2012 $68,400

Value Explanations

Prices shown are retail consumer values and to be considered as selling prices. Trade-in values are to be determined by local dealers and are generally lower than values shown.

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.
* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

OP
E

emgeetf

Country flag
NADA has been off the charts most of the time and i wonder on what they base their pricing structure ? is it based on actual sales which are recorded or just pure guesses ? I am trying to get a handle on the pricing of Austin healey 3000 cars which are 100 % complete but have been in storage and not run in Donkeys years and need some kind of refurbishing to be on the road. Then there are others a little bit more ratty and neglected specially if you find thenm in the midwest that need more work.

if you find a cars like this should you run and check the NADA guide or is there another source other than NADA where you can find information as to what you should pay for such a car ? if you are a seller NADA prices will be beneficial to you but will a enthusiast pay that kind of money for a project car ?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think the best source of information you seek can be found through the "Sports Car Market" Magazine, https://www.sportscarmarket.com/ SCM follows all the auctions world wide, not just results. Most of the time they have a real pair of eyes on the vehicles crossing the block. I've subscribed for 17+ years and Keith "What's My Car Worth" Martin is usually on the mark. As a sided note, Keith was the first to say the Muscle Car craze had plateaued and their prices would start to decide. He was fired as a commentator for the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale, AZ auction after that.

Here's where all Austin Healeys stack up for 2012:

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Daear Emgeetf,

You are correct to say how prices fluctuate over time.

My opinion and advice...

Spend time researching and go out and see what these cars look like. It would really help to have a friend or someone who can guide you. Luckily, I had a friend who helped me avoid making a bad mistake along the way. That is, the car for sale had extensive body work, nice but not what I was looking for.

In my case, I have spent a good solid five months going through magazines, the internet, talking on the phone to Sellers, almost buying two along the way (and thankfully, not, for they were overpriced for what they were or had serious compromises). I must of seen at least, a dozen in person in four different states, requiring a bit of traveling I might add. I settled on mine requiring driving about 250 miles one way (and then spending a grand to have someone go there and shipped it back in an enclosed trailer).

You also have to determine what you are looking for...a total restored car (okay, you say no), a modified version, cherry, rusty...I've been through enough and all I can say is that I am very happy with the one I got. Price was fair, it was complete (enough!), though I knew I would be doing a lot of work (allloottt). Still doing alloottt! But for me, it is my hobby now. No regrets, unless I drop dead (then I really won't need to worry, will I?).

By going through the process, you get a really good feel and by seeing what's out there, you begin to sense what has been done, or not. I've also been told this is the best time to look. When the better weather comes, prices tend to go up. I guess supply and demand have a lot to do with it, too. A lot to know.

Another piece of advice, don't be in a rush. Enjoy the process of searching. You want to be happy, not frustrated (I'm one to talk--almost gave up and bought a different car).

Enjoy and good luck!

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Take the average high book value then and deduct from it what it would cost to bring a 100% complete ,non-running car to that level. That's how you are supposed to do it. Logic tells us that we should be able to buy a Healey like this for under 10 grand, I doubt that you can anymore. Kevin

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
To find the current asking prices, search eBay current and completed auctions, Hemmings, crazedlist(nation wide), auto trader and you will have a good sample size with about two hours of work.

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Here is the list I made at the end of 2010.

healey%252520for%252520sale.jpg

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Nice car but at the high end of the market the door gaps and dogleg fit on the passenger side could be much better in my opinion and the color accentuates this. Kevin

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Fairview said:
Here's one that went through the roof:

Barret Jackson 2012 3000 Mk III

There's no question that Kurt Tanner has discovered the "Metallic Golden Beige" touch when it comes to selling Healeys. I don't see any claims that this was one of the 355 cars originally finished in that color, but it sure is striking. I like the ones he does in California Sage over linen, myself.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
It really boils down to what do you expect from your car?If your looking for originality expect to pay more. If your looking for reliability get one with modern upgrades. If you want to participate in the restoration, plan on spending at least 20K and that's doing a lot of the work yourself. Either way you need to join a local Austin Healey club, both of the major clubs offer tremendous resources at your disposal. I have to agree with all who have restored a car, buy one that is nearly complete as possible, or that is truly original.

I spent $1500 for a junk yard find needing everything but was complete, and spent 30K restoring it. Then I spent 10K for a car that was running and needing some body work and spent 35K restoring it. Overall I had lots of help from my local club members plus lots of help from the BCF here.

The choice is truly yours to make.

Good luck

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
HealeyRick said:
Fairview said:
Here's one that went through the roof:

Barret Jackson 2012 3000 Mk III

There's no question that Kurt Tanner has discovered the "Metallic Golden Beige" touch when it comes to selling Healeys. I don't see any claims that this was one of the 355 cars originally finished in that color, but it sure is striking. I like the ones he does in California Sage over linen, myself.
Add about "200" to your "355" and there was only about 82 with Red interior. I agree, no claims that this was an "original beige car". I've heard that KT does put the Heritage Certificate in the trunk for prospective buyers to see what the car(s)were originally painted, etc.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Patrick67BJ8 said:
Add about "200" to your "355" and there was only about 82 with Red interior. I agree, no claims that this was an "original beige car". I've heard that KT does put the Heritage Certificate in the trunk for prospective buyers to see what the car(s)were originally painted, etc.

Ooops, you're right! 552 for original beige, 355 for BN7s!
By now, it's probably more like 2,552 with all the new ones that have been created over the years.

Country flag
I have one just like it with the red interior! And the paperwork to prove its correct. I'll take half of what he got for that one for mine.

Marv

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
HealeyRick said:
Patrick67BJ8 said:

Ooops, you're right! 552 for original beige, 355 for BN7s!
By now, it's probably more like 2,552 with all the new ones that have been created over the years.

Yes, I have it on good authority that of the 552 original beige ones, only 1,257 still exist.

Country flag
Brinkerhoff said:
Nice car but at the high end of the market the door gaps and dogleg fit on the passenger side could be much better in my opinion and the color accentuates this. Kevin

My thoughts exactly (I was even checking the photo with a magnifying glass to see if it was bad fit or just a photo distortion). Once you become conscious of this, it becomes one of the first things you look at (kinda sad, like looking at a beautiful woman and noticing her ears are too big). Also, I'm always looking at the bottom edge (like looking at a beautiful woman ...); from the factory, there was a subtle yet graceful curve from the rear of the front wheel wells to the front of the rear wheel wells. I believe the bottom of the doglegs should have a very slight up-and-in curve, which often gets destroyed by shoddy dogleg repairs--sometimes resulting in a nastly 'spur' sticking out--which is a dead giveaway to (bad) rear fender repair.

This is surprising given Tanner is known for cosmetically appealing cars (and commensurate auction prices).

Country flag
Hey, Roger (Asumhly?), (haven't seen any posts form you lately) that isn't any better than your car. In fact yours is a bit better. $$$$
TH

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Here is the link to the Austin Healey results at Barrett Jackson for the past few years. I never thought I'd see those kind of numbers- any of you remember the early 80's when you could buy the best one in the world for $6,000?
And back then you couldn't get any restoration parts...I made quite a few trips to the import car junkyard to take parts off a couple wrecked Big Healeys laying out in the field. I think one of them was Golden Beige Metallic...
Barrett Jackson Austin Healey results
You'll need to type in Austin-Healey or 3000 to search

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Hey, Roger (Asumhly?), (haven't seen any posts form you lately) that isn't any better than your car. In fact yours is a bit better. $$$$
TH

Wazzsup Rich (tahoe healey)
Yup, I've not made a post in a while, and nice to know that I've been missed. Thank you my friend for the compliment about my efforts with my restoration.

I've wondered how my car would do at Barrett Jackson.

I've not restored my car as original as Kurt Tanner does. I did pay attention to the details... panel fit, paint, interior, keeping the car mostly correct looking. So the question would be, with the mods I have made in the engine compartment and the hidden nav, cup holder, volume control and courtesy lights, will that hold the car back or bring a higher bid.

Kurts name brings such providence to his cars, he gets top dollar for his cars, even the ones he's painted a non Healey color like California Sage with Linen leather trim inside.

Recently, resto-mod cars are bringing good money. Maybe my resto-mod Healey would be welcomed?

Cheers,
Roger

Attachments

• 27596.jpg
    27596.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 248