• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Preferred Side Mirrors

sfovc2003

Is there a preferred make of side mirrors for the fenders of a BJ7?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI A preferred shape is the bullet it will retain its position when installing a car cover and will not change due to wind at speed. ;The vendor product you prefer is an individual and economic choice.-Fwiw--Keoke

Country flag
Opened a can of worms again. The next question will be where to place them. What I would do is go to a meet like the one in Woodland May 22nd(as you are in the Bay Area) and see what you like. The national clubs put out calender each year with great pictures. Some like one mirror, some like two. I like the Talbot bullets (two of them), others prefer the flat ones. I placed mine at 22 inches from the doors and use convex mirrors. The ones over the wheel well were placed there for ease of installation and give a small field of rear view. Just remember, the closer the mirror the greater the field. Many have them on the doors for that very reason. As the factory didn't install them, all installations are correct.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
the factory didn't install them, mirrors, all installations are correct????

Watch out there young fella my BJ8 came with Talbot mirrors factory installed so the heritage certificate says.--Keoke---- :driving:

OOPS--------------------OK----------- :lol:

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

In 1964 when I purchased my Healey, I too wanted the preferred mirror and selected the Lucas mirrors located over the front fenders over the wheel centers. Back then I was relatively near sited and my selected mirrors were a waste in providing me with any usable rear site.

Ageing presents a number of Healey benefits such as drug dilation of the circulatory system that causes you to freeze in the winter but also allows you to handle the Healey cabin heat with greater alacrity. Another is the progression to far-sightedness that now allows me to see and use my fender mirrors. Although I still prefer the aged look of the Lucas fender mirrors, I would not recommend them to anyone not well into their farsighted progression.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The flat lucas mirrors are what the dealerships installed. Moss sells a knock-off under the Tourist Trophy brand. They also sell separately a chrome plate with the Lucas stamp that you can use to replace the no-name plate on the back of the mirror.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
For those coming to the Woodland show, we now have about 15 registered, should be a few more extras that come in day of show. My BJ8 will be there with the MOSS bullet mirror. So far, I can't get enough adjustment to make it useful on the drivers side.

Jerry
BJ8

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

Replace it with s Talbot--Keoke

Country flag
Jerry said:
For those coming to the Woodland show, we now have about 15 registered, should be a few more extras that come in day of show. My BJ8 will be there with the MOSS bullet mirror. So far, <span style="font-weight: bold">I can't get enough adjustment to make it useful on the drivers side</span>.

Jerry
BJ8
I had those on an MGB one time; look good but not functional.

I'm a big fan of the spring-loaded fender mounted mirrors; they look good too, but get this: you can see alongside AND behind you!

What a concept!

https://www.europaspares.com/product/2/1...___M16007_.html

And

https://www.europaspares.com/product/2/1...E___OBLONG.html

It goes without saying, but they should be mounted on the fenders at the centerline of the front wheels :wink:

1965AH3000

Freshman Member
As a tip, on the bullet mirrors. If you take it apart you will find a large washer inside. Using a dolly and hammer form it into a cup shape. This allows a lot more adjustment. Works great for drivers side.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
If you want to mount the mirrors far up on the fenders get the convex ones that expand the field of view.

As stated, there are lots of opinions on this, I have never liked or used door mirrors, if I have to look that far out of my field of vision I might as well just turn my head and look back. I do admit that adjusting fender mirrors is a pain without a sympathetic friend, and you bump them when working in the engine compartment, but from a functional stanpoint I think convex on the fenders gives you a great view with no blindspot, had some on a B/GT and thought they were so much better than anything I had exeperienced before.

Looks is of course a matter of taste, but I associate the bullet mirrors with the late sixties and the 70s, the lucas round look more appropriate to on the 50s and 60s brit cars (in my opinion).

Best advice, take a look and see what you like, and pick the location for the mirror that you prefer as well.

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
:iagree:I agree with Glemon, convex mirrors work great. I put them on my car and have felt much more comfortable with my field of view and have enjoyed my driving experience much more.

Stretchit

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
They (fender mounted)tend to get bumped about a bit if when you spend time tinkering with the carbs, ignition, etc. Then of course it is trial and error to adjust back to position once bumped (if you don't have a helper). But I still like the convex fender mirrors from a functional/driving standpoint.

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
This is the one that is getting attached to the driver's door. I use to have a FFR cobra replica and a lot of the guy's choose not to use this mirror that come with the kit. I picked this one up for $25.

mirror.JPG

Country flag
A note about the mirrors I linked to: They are spring-loaded bases (stems) that are indexed at 90* (quarter turn).

The mirror has a mounting and adjustment nut that attaches it to the stem and LOCKS the setting.

BUMP them all you want; twirl them if it gets you off, then snap them back to the original orientation and drive away.

The adjustment setting IS NOT DISTURBED!

I originally used flat glass mirrors on mine, and was satisfied with the field of view, but then I switched to the convex ones sometime last year and the field of view is panoramic! I do not have any trouble discerning distance with them, as you can very easy gauge a car in relation to the rear fenders.

You guys that knock them, don't know what you're missing (because it's in your blind spot :wink: ).

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
Healey Z, Those R the mirrors I put on my 61 BT7.fender monted and love the way they look but bought them long before I found this forum and didn't have these guys brains to pick. I made the mistake of getting both mirrors flat and sure wish I got the convex now. I'm gonna have to go to a glass shop and see if they can swich the flat for covex because with them mounted so far out there really is a very small field of vision.

Country flag
You might try the mfg to see if the mirrors are replaceable. I ordered convex replacement from Talbet. They are vintage but the replacement parts are available as they have not changed the design. They have the right curve and diameter. They just pop right in after removing the nylon retaining ring. I like the bullet design because they seem not to vibrate.
Before you drill, sit in cars with the mirror at different positions. The further you move them from the driver seat, the smaller the field. My MGB had one on the right front fender and one near the door (factory installed). I only used the right one for parking (pointed downward) because I had to move my head back and forth to get a wide view on the freeways. If we all liked vanilla, we wouldn't need "31 Flavors". Your choice.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Another thing to consider is the dash mirror. Some put a riser under the stock dash mirror or replace the stem with a taller one. If you think you may do that, so as to see over the top when in the down position, make sure you do that, before you mount the right fender on the wing. You don't want to mount the side mirror on the wing, to find out down the road that when you raise the dash mirror, you have now blocked the view to the right wing mirror.

As far as convex mirrors goes, if you think you may want one and already have a flat mirror, you can find round convex mirrors that have double sided tape on the back, that you simply press onto your flat mirror. Look in your local car parts store like Napa, petboys, Kragen, Autozone, Target, Walmart etc. I'd go that route first to see if you like the look. If so, then you can commit to replacing the entire mirror with a convex mirror, or simply leave the press on mirror on your flat mirror. Five bucks is a lot cheaper than a replacement mirror, in case you don't like the convex image.

Cheers,
Roger