• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Posting vehicle type on posting/signature

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello all:

Been on this page for quite a while & seem to see questions posted very often in detail, with one important thing missing; the model being discussed!

It would save everyone time in answering with innapropriate & possibly detremental answers if they are assuming the vehicle model & assummed wrong.

It might also be a good idea for people to show there vehicle in their signature so others can get a sense as to the authors experience.

Just my 2 cents...

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You make a good point I usually just look at their profile page to see what they have. Hopefully they haven't traded it in and forgotten to change their car profile. As for photo it would have to be an additional attachment for me as the 3 is not posted to any web sites that allow the link.

Attachments

• 248963-SkyandTR353bit.jpg
    248963-SkyandTR353bit.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 86

R6MGS

Yoda
Sweet pic Harry!
yeah, I agree though...Or at the very least remember to mention the type of car...honest mistake though...I am sure I've forgeten to mention which car I was talking about at least once or twice.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
...see questions posted very often in detail, with one important thing missing; the model being discussed!

It would save everyone time in answering with innapropriate & possibly detremental answers if they are assuming the vehicle model & assummed wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! It can be guessing game, although as already noted often the answer is no further than a click or two away at the person's profile.

It's easy enough to list the year/model/etc. in your signature. BCF members can set up an automated signature easily at "My Home". A photo is entirely optional (and, depending upon the photo size, not necessarily a good thing for dinosaurs like me who are still using a dial up I'net connection.)

Those who are lucky enough to have a stable full of LBCs might still need to specify which of their many cars we are discussing, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Taking it a step further... The year is useful taking into account subtle production changes that can suddenly become very important.

But particularly with TR4 and earlier, the commission number can be even more critical since the year of registration and the year of manufacture are often quite different. If nervous about posting your car's complete commission number publicly on the Internet (frankly I'm not sure why it could be a problem... nor exactly why license plates have had to be pixelated out in photos in recent years... unless there is a suspicion the car was stolen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), it can just be stated as "CT176xx" or something similar that gives enough info to make the more important distinctions but still hides the complete number.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

(Note: fully automated signature example below, no typing needed once it's set up at "My Home".)

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Taking it a step further... The year is useful taking into account subtle production changes that can suddenly become very important.

But particularly with TR4 and earlier, the commission number can be even more critical since the year of registration and the year of manufacture are often quite different....

[/ QUOTE ]I'm with you completely, Alan. And I might add that, if possible, commission numbers AND (when relevant) engine numbers or other component numbers be quoted. Sometimes that can make a big difference in advice given, particularly after 25-50 years, during which TR4 engines find their way into TR2s, Spitfire engines find their way into Heralds, etc.

For example, GA41429LDL, my Herald, still has its original GAxxxxxHE engine and GAxxxxx gearbox but currently sports FCxxxxx for a differential (a late enough Mk3 differential so as to have somewhat different internal bits).

Winston

Jedi Trainee
I don't wish to boast but I have used my vehicle make in my signature from the outset.
However............ clutch is out of a 66 TR4 not a 67TR4a.
The nice thing is that the folks here usally figure that out before I do.
To make matters worse "Ol'Ruby" is and always will be a resto-mod, with an eye towards originality,sometimes out of necessity!
Oh well.

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
Good point!

Its even worse when its a want ad on the club website:

" Wanted - Driver side rocker panel, Dual SU or single weber intake - Interested in a fair, OK, or better driver side rocker panel - mine was creamed by the PO. Definitely does not have to be perfect just savable. And I wish I could afford a new Weber conversion , but since I can't I'm looking for an intake I can use - either one that will take a weber or dual SUs. Thank You."

The only part of this add I left off was the contact info....