• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Posting Images

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
How do you guys do this? I followed the instructions, and I've done it before, but no luck this time.

Maybe the image size is the problem?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you are uploading directly to BCF, and size is the problem, then you'll get an error popup that looks like this :

Attachments

• 24013.jpg
    24013.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 308

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Are you talking about images from other sites or personal images?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
One of the things I like about using Photobucket is that it will automagically resize if necessary. You just upload whatever you want to your PB album and it downsizes if necessary during the loading process. Then insert a link or IMG code over here, and Robert is your close relative. The IMG codes are really easy to get too, all you do is let your mouse hover over the thumbnail of the photo you want to post, then click in the popup labeled IMG:

GetIMGcode.jpg

Then switch back to your BCF post and hit CTL-V. While composing your post, you'll only see the IMG code, like:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
DSCF0029_crop.jpg
</pre>[/QUOTE]
but after you hit 'Submit', it will show the photo

DSCF0029_crop.jpg

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I guess my problem is that in SnapFish my pics were 1.5 MB in size, way too big.

There must be an easier way, but I used Photoshop to make them "Web Size" whatever that means.

The link was a URL, and I didn't even get a message. All I got was a posted message with the http// url.

I'll try again during daylight hours:smile:)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you are linking to a photo hosted on SnapFish, then I doubt that size is the issue. But to get them to show as photos on BCF, you will need to either surround the link with the IMG code:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>

</pre>[/QUOTE]
or switch to the "Full reply" screen and use the image icon
image3.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't use "shop" for web size Pretty general term
Randall I was asking KVH that question.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
Randall I was asking KVH that question.
Sorry, my mistake.

toysrrus

Yoda
What does "100KB" equate to in "Pixels"?

Thanx, Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
toysrrus said:
What does "100KB" equate to in "Pixels"?
Unfortunately there is no direct translation, because of image compression. Without compression, 100kb is very small, less than 320 by 240 pixels.

With a modest amount of compression, 640 x 480 (0.3 megapixels) will usually fit in 100kb. Turn the compression up a bit higher, and generally 800 x 600 (0.5) will fit.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Or right click on any image file, got to properties and get the size in KB/MB. Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Also don't forget that the 100kb limit applies only to images uploaded directly to BCF (through the BCF "File Manager" dialog).

As long as you upload your photos to another site (eg SnapFish, PhotoBucket, Flickr, Picasa, etc) and use a link on BCF, your photos can be as large as the other site will allow. Using links will also allow you to put multiple images in a single BCF post (without being a paid member).

M

Member 10617

Here's another, and more simple, way to attach photos to your postings.

If you have a photo saved to your computer, print it out at about 3 x 5. Then scan it as a jpeg photo at 100 or 75 dpi. Your scanner should give you some "jpeg options" as to how large a file you want to save, and you should select the low end. Then scan the photo.

Save this new scanned version of your original photo in a file marked, for example, BCF Photos.

When you compose a message on the Forum, click on File Manager at the bottom of the box in which you are composing your message and follow the instruction for attaching a photo. Then submit your message.

You can only attach one photo per posting, but that may be enough.

The scanning process is a simple way to reduce the file to the size acceptable for attaching to a BCF message.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Pixels & file sizes.

Most screens have a 72 Dots Per Inch (DPI).

A printed image needs at least 150 and ideally 200 or more DPI to look good.

As you can tell, the bigger the print, the more dots and the bigger the file.

As an example the images off my Canon MKIV are 10 meg or larger. When I am done resizing for the web, they are 175k or less.

In Photoshop, you can open the file and go to Image/Image Size and type in the DPI (72)and physical size (900 x 700 pixels)you want. THEN click save for web and create a new .jpg file. You will want two files. The original in printable size and the newly created small shareable size.

Snapfish, Smugmug, Photobucket, etc kinda of do this for you. You upload a big file and it re sizes it for you based on where you go with it (printer, webshare, etc).

This issue here is uploading takes forever because of the files sizes...and if you are a photo nut like myself, the compression software does an awful job in rendering image quality.

Adobe Lightroom, Aperature (Mac), or other basic photo editing / sharing software is really what you want to have. This software creates outputs using the original file so you always have that for printing. You simply select what files you want out of it...web sharing, e-mails, etc. and it processes them for you....and in most cases can upload them as well.

It looks way more complicated than it really is.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
GBRandy said:
Most screens have a 72 Dots Per Inch (DPI).
Frequently this is user-selectable. Mine is set to roughly 90 dpi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]In Photoshop, you can open the file and go to Image/Image Size and type in the DPI (72)and physical size (900 x 700 pixels)you want. THEN click save for web and create a new .jpg file. You will want two files. The original in printable size and the newly created small shareable size. [/QUOTE]
If you don't have Photoshop, there is a free tool that can do the same thing:
https://www.irfanview.com/
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Snapfish, Smugmug, Photobucket, etc kinda of do this for you. You upload a big file and it re sizes it for you based on where you go with it (printer, webshare, etc). [/QUOTE]
PhotoBucket at least will resize the file as it is uploaded (if it is larger than their maximum). Then for sharing on the web, you can select either the uploaded size, or a reduced size.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
This issue here is uploading takes forever because of the files sizes...
[/QUOTE]
Photobucket also offers a Java-driven bulk uploader that does the resizing on your computer. It is very quick (if you have a reasonably fast connection & computer), and since you choose all the files ahead of time, you can simply start it working and walk away. I didn't try to time it closely, but it only took a few minutes to upload the entire album of my sister's wedding, which was over a gigabyte on my hard drive.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
and if you are a photo nut like myself, the compression software does an awful job in rendering image quality.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not a photo nut at all, but IMO no one is ever going to notice the lack of quality when viewing images on BCF/the web. As you pointed out, if you want to do anything else with the photo (like printing), you should keep the (large) original on your hard drive.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
^^^^^^^^^
Good responses. I do see file reduction flaws..the loss in detail is really obvious in eyes, and facial details. Drives me nuts, but I am as anal as they come :smile:

As a result I like to control that file size reduction internally and specifically.

I have seen default web re-sizing set at 72, 76 & 90 DPI so that 90 isn't surprising.

I have no experience with any of the Photobucket, Smugmug, etc accounts. So I am not bashing or endorsing any opf them....I host my own and have a separate site that handles my print sales and fulfillment.

Hope it helped explain the details just the same.

Thanks,

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
GBRandy said:
Hope it helped explain the details just the same.
Certainly helpful, didn't mean to sound overly critical.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Useing acronym's here is also a confusing way to communicate let alone trying to use the BEST way to show photos.
For some of us its NOT that easy...Make it simplier.
That would be a boon to us here who would love to show our accomplishments with our Triumphs
Ken :thankyousign: