• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

plumbing a single HS4 on the 1500

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
Okay, with any luck, I'll pull the MG into the garage tonight and swap the carb and finish up the suspension bushings and front springs.

Anyway, on the HS4, I understand it bolts up to the stock manifold, and I'm pretty confident I can work out the throttle linkage, but anything I should know about plumbing it?

I've eliminated the emissions system, run an electric pump, have no return line on the gas tank, but still run vac advance on the dizzy.

Any advice appreciated. Just trying to address any potential issues before I run into them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
Rob,

A few quick questions for you, actually ... what sort of springs are you putting up front, and have you managed to get the bushings out from the inside of the lower wishbone? I've tried, disconnecting swaybar, removing springs, and still no luck. I even disconnected the upper trunnion so as to remove everything I could. I simply couldn't press those pins out that hold on the lower wishbone! This could serve as a warning if you haven't done them already, as well as a question to how you did do it, if you're done that part already.

Also, are those wheels Moss brand? If so, what tires are you running and how do they fit? Thanks,

Matt

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
Matt - I've cheated and started with the rear spring shackle bushings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Haven't messed with the lower arms yet. As for springs, they're moss' 340lbs springs.

The wheels are the VB minilite replicas. I'm running some 155 goodyear viva2 tires, they're OK, but I intend to get something a little more performance oriented come summer.

Hey Matt! good to see ya again.

those lower pins can be a real pain. on my 79 i ended up beating the living doodoo out of them torched off one side and used a grinder on the other, then called a welder to repair the mess i made. Lots of PB blaster, patience, remove everything else. Those pins want to be driven toward the center of the wishbone, the rearmost needs to go foward and the front pin needs to go to the rear. try to get the heads of the pins un stuck from the mounting flanges. its your only hope. if you can get the exposed bushing removed it can help, trouble is these things tend to become one with the wishbone. Good Luck

mark

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
okay, i'm loosing interest in replacing those bushings, maybe I'll just do the springs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Rob, plumbing the HS4 should be a piece of cake. I put an AUD135 HS4 on the 1500 Spit engine that I raced with no problem at all. It was originally the front carb on a '65 MGB. Two things I did to make it perform better were to change the float chamber grommet to orient the float chamber to a more vertical position, and change the float cover so the orientation of the float pivot was perpendicular to the cylinder head. This prevents erratic changes in the float level during hard cornering. Both of these items may be unnecessary in your application.
The carb does indeed bolt right up to the ZS manifold, and I simply ran a fuel hose to it, and was good to go.
I can't address the throttle cable or linkage, because I was dealing with a Spit. I was also running a single K&N air filter. No help with the vacuum hookup either, as I wasn't running a distributor.
Hope this helps answer your questions.
Jeff