• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Parts needed for a Wire Wheel Conversion

JCarr

Freshman Member
Hello, this is my first post, but I've been reading for months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am planning to convert my 74 chrome mgb to wires. What is the best way to do this? I have heard the "just bol on" can rub, can you put spinners on these? Do you have to change out the rear end or just the hubs? Thanks, JC

MattP

Jedi Knight
The kit in Moss says that you only have to repace the hubs. I wish I was more help, but mine had the wires already. I am sure someone will come along soon that has actually done it.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Steve_S

Yoda
On the front you only need to replace the hubs. On the rear, the best way to do this is to replace the entire axle. THe axle housings are different lengths between bolt-on and wire wheel setups, so switching hubs / axles won't work. You can buy adaptors which bolt a splined hub onto your existing hubs and put the wire wheels on those, but keep in mind this increases your wheel track by nearly an inch, if memory serves.

Another route is to buy bolt-on wire wheels. They are true wire wheels but have a flange behind them to bolt onto your existing hubs. Most people won't know the difference but anyone who knows these cars will spot it a mile away.

If you swap rear axles but retain your differential assembly, remember you need to swap the spider gears in your unit with the ones from a wire wheel unit. The splines on the wire wheel axle shafts and those on the bolt-on ones are different.

R6MGS

Yoda
I remeber my dad doing this to the 61` MGA about 5 years ago....spent months looking for a set of adaptors...but a pretty simple process, he was done in a few hours...the rear hub needs to be ground down a bit so the adaptors will fit nicely...It does increase to track but I acually think it looks better with the increased track.

Zack

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Don't use adapters, they aren't very good at all. Just change out the hubs, and the rear end. Its about a day long job, but its the best way to go.

Jim 67B

Jedi Hopeful
The best way is to swap out the entire rear axle. Before you put the wire wheel axle in the car is a good time to do rear seals and thrust washers. Any tube axle from 1967 to 1980 with wire wheels will work. Later axles have fittings for rear roll bar. These can be just left as is with no problems. The rear axle ratio on all of the MGB's was the same. Early bango axles will work but the threads on the hubs may be different if it from a early car.

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
You know it's funny but I'm about to go the other way...from wires to bolt-ons. My wire wheels and hubs are shot and I really want minilites. Problem is I don't want to pay the $1300.00 for knock off minilites and still have to get new hubs to the tune of $150.00 each. Bolt-on wheels seem like a no brainer to me. Much less maintenance too. I've heard some horror stories about worn out splines on wires i.e. hitting the brakes and the tires keep rolling...that is just before the nut loosens and the wheel falls off. Or take off and the rear axle spins inside the wheel...then the wheel falls off. No thanks! I love the wire look, but unless I can come across some hubs and wheels for cheap, I'm going the bolt-on route. Good luck on your conversion, though.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...and still have to get new hubs to the tune of $150.00 each...

[/ QUOTE ]

~$85 at the major suppliers, less when on sale.

Wires aren't so trouble-free as to be called practical but with care and attention to routine maintenance they do fine.

I guess the same could be said about our cars in general.

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
I visited a junkyard here in Orlando and found 2 MGB's with wire wheels. One still had all 4 and one only had one wheel on it.
Good Luck
Rick
85 TVR
78 MGB
78 Spitfire